Ford Raptor Supercharged V-8?

4 minutes ago, snooter said:

Good news....ford screwed the pooch badly with that garbage power-mill...

I forgot they had to put 10k on the hood of each one to get them off the lots. Totally screwed the pooch!

3.5 was a better option than the 6.2. If it does get the supercharged 5.2, that will be the low production R model. Guaranteed the 3.5 will still be there and the volume Raptor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Just based on sound, I don't think that is a V8. What do you all think? I'm torn, as I think the 5.2 would make a great halo vehicle engine in the Raptor. However, I just see that as the easy way out/low hanging fruit. I could see a battery assist/hybrid as the high tech option to beat down the TRX.

that makes total sense...you put a HANDBUILT engine in the Raptor your numbers disappear...a Halo Raptor maybe...mainstream NO...becomes way too expensive

8 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

Too much background noise to tell anything. He did say it was spotted near the Roush facilities so who's to say this isn't just a 2021 Roush F-150?

I think the wide fenders suggest that this is a Raptor.

I'm wondering if Ford keeps going with the EBV6 Raptor but has an apex model as a level above, maybe Raptor R?

Edited by jpd80

7 minutes ago, Deanh said:

that makes total sense...you put a HANDBUILT engine in the Raptor your numbers disappear...a Halo Raptor maybe...mainstream NO...becomes way too expensive

If it’s the 5.2 expect it to be the low production number halo model. I don’t think Ford is giving up on the 3.5 either. I mean we will find out next week, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snooter said:

Good news....ford screwed the pooch badly with that garbage power-mill...

Perhaps you should drive one before making such a statement.  I had the previous gen with the 6.2 and now have the current gen with the 3.5.  The 3.5 is hands down a better motor in every way, other than the sound.  

• Like 2

LOL, gotta smile how Ram TRX arrives all conquering but many are not ready to crown it Victor until they know what Raptor has

and Ford is not letting it slip yet, dragging out the suspense until they're ready to say something.... wonderful theatre.

It is possible for both trucks to succeed and be different to each other, Raptor opened people's minds to different power production

I hope that Ford finds a way to have it's cake and eat it too....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

As I stated in the TRX thread in Competing Products I don’t think superchargers are ideal in the dusty off road environments that these factory made Trophy Trucks will be seeing. 

I’ve mentioned this on a few forums and you’d think I was DJT I caught so much hate. 

Regardless of what the Mopar fanatics think the engineers sure had to work hard on the TRX’s air filtering system. No I’m no fan of superchargers in dirt. 

Now Ford is planning to do this? Geez I hope they like to cover blowers under warranty. 

1 minute ago, Stray Kat said:

As I stated in the TRX thread in Competing Products I don’t think superchargers are ideal in the dusty off road environments that these factory made Trophy Trucks will be seeing. 

I’ve mentioned this on a few forums and you’d think I was DJT I caught so much hate. 

Regardless of what the Mopar fanatics think the engineers sure had to work hard on the TRX’s air filtering system. No I’m no fan of superchargers in dirt. 

Now Ford is planning to do this? Geez I hope they like to cover blowers under warranty. 

just for my own education...whats the difference between filtering for a Blower in comparison to turbos...

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

If it’s the 5.2 expect it to be the low production number halo model. I don’t think Ford is giving up on the 3.5 either. I mean we will find out next week, right?

that 3.5 is no where near maxed out at its current 450 hp....intriguing

5 minutes ago, Deanh said:

just for my own education...whats the difference between filtering for a Blower in comparison to turbos...

The filtering isn’t the problem, the tolerance for the passage of fine dust is the problem. 

Turbochargers are used on diesels in all sorts of off road applications from bulldozers to skid steers to drag lines. 

The last positive displacement superchargers I can recall were on the old 2 stroke Detroit’s. 

The rotors and blower case are fitted with very close tolerances by their nature they have to be. There is simply tons of surface area to be damaged in such a machine compared to a turbocharger. 

If Ford wants to win this contest the lineup should be 35EB/Hybrid/10 spd, and 7.3/10 spd for the V8 people and a Raptor R with a 7.3/Hybrid/10spd. 

That ^^^ is a leadership lineup. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deanh said:

that 3.5 is no where near maxed out at its current 450 hp....intriguing

True, in essentially what is a street legal race car it makes 660 hp. However, in truck form I think 550-600hp would be max. Need that lower rpm torque. I think 500/550 hp/tq would be great for the base Raptor. If they want to compete with TRX an regular ecoboost 3.5 isn’t the answer. Although it would be close. I think adding electric could push the the ecoboost 3.5 there. Or the GT500 engine. I’m interested to see what Ford chooses here. Could this be a precursor to what we see in the warthog?

25 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

The filtering isn’t the problem, the tolerance for the passage of fine dust is the problem. 

Turbochargers are used on diesels in all sorts of off road applications from bulldozers to skid steers to drag lines. 

The last positive displacement superchargers I can recall were on the old 2 stroke Detroit’s. 

The rotors and blower case are fitted with very close tolerances by their nature they have to be. There is simply tons of surface area to be damaged in such a machine compared to a turbocharger. 

If Ford wants to win this contest the lineup should be 35EB/Hybrid/10 spd, and 7.3/10 spd for the V8 people and a Raptor R with a 7.3/Hybrid/10spd. 

That ^^^ is a leadership lineup. 

sounds good...but having too many versions of a Halo waters the brand down IMO...well see I guess, anyone have any idea when specs for the 2021 will be released?...the Raptors were curiously absent from the 2021 ordering guides...

19 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

True, in essentially what is a street legal race car it makes 660 hp. However, in truck form I think 550-600hp would be max. Need that lower rpm torque. I think 500/550 hp/tq would be great for the base Raptor. If they want to compete with TRX an regular ecoboost 3.5 isn’t the answer. Although it would be close. I think adding electric could push the the ecoboost 3.5 there. Or the GT500 engine. I’m interested to see what Ford chooses here. Could this be a precursor to what we see in the warthog?

I don't think Ford has to get too crazy really...even with a "mere " 450 horse its what...0.6 of a second slower to 60?

1 hour ago, William S said:

I would much rather have a powerful V-8 than a 6 cylinder motor.

How about a mediocre V8 compared to a powerful 6 cylinder motor?

A lot of BMW people would rather have an inline 6 cylinder. Sounds like the new Defender inline 6 cylinder is quite good.

• Like 1