2021 Explorer King Ranch and Timberline

17 hours ago, akirby said:

I was surprised it didn't make the cut given the new interior and sync 4 (which Corsair doesn't have but not a dealbreaker for me).

We were considering a PHEV but given the battery problems and the fact we don't drive that much any more I'll probably do a lease and decide in 3 years what to do long term.

I'm sure you will be very happy with the Corsair. The other day I had a conversation with a dog walker whose dog jumped into the back of his brand new Corsair. We talked for a few minutes about it and he just loved it. I asked him if he had any problems and he said none.

I know my Escape has been perfect for 8 months now other than back up camera that works most of the time. Since the Corsair is built at same plant on same platform, I don't get the poor rating. Maybe non techies not getting the touchscreen settings. I know mine is very intuitive and much easier than Subaru.

40 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Thanks ice-capades. Any idea why sedona orange was ended during the same model year? I didn't get the notice until after I ordered it. Seemed very sudden.

Luckily, I like the metallic white tricoat I ended up getting. Ford is really doing some nice paint jobs that really pop. 

There's no way of knowing why the decision was made but I'd suspect that it may have been due to a low order rate for the color. If the color was already balanced out when you placed the order, your Dealer wouldn't have have been able to submit the order as the WBDO (Web Based Dealer Order) system wouldn't have shown it as available. The Dealer still should have known about the early balance out and if the order was placed prior to the balance out they should have contacted their Ford rep or the Regional Scheduler for expedited scheduling. Unfortunately, not all Dealers are very good at managing their order banks. 

Glad you like the white metallic tri-coat which is very popular. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content

39 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Or are they the best selling colors because that is all you can buy off most dealer lots? 

Colors today are actually very boring (Thankfully the Bronco has some fun ones) Ford tries and the Persian Green is a very interesting color as it changes with the light but even that is now going away for 2021; Colored paints can be pretty expensive as well so I'm sure that plays into what colors are offered. 

Id be willing to bet even special orders lean towards black, white grey and silver.

Dealers around here do stock quite a few red and blue vehicles.  Green, orange, yellow, burgundy can be hard to find.

7 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

There's no way of knowing why the decision was made but I'd suspect that it may have been due to a low order rate for the color. If the color was already balanced out when you placed the order, your Dealer wouldn't have have been able to submit the order as the WBDO (Web Based Dealer Order) system wouldn't have shown it as available. The Dealer still should have known about the early balance out and if the order was placed prior to the balance out they should have contacted their Ford rep or the Regional Scheduler for expedited scheduling. Unfortunately, not all Dealers are very good at managing their order banks. 

My impression is most dealerships just put in the order if the system takes it and they don’t keep up with scheduling, balance out and commodity issues like you do/did.   If every dealership had someone like you the buying experience would be 1000 times better.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I suspect the same - low order rate. My wife was looking for a "color" for her Escape and found a Sedona Orange SEL that had been sitting on the lot for 10 months. She was happy to find it and I suspect that the dealer was happy to finally be rid of it ;)

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Thanks ice-capades. Any idea why sedona orange was ended during the same model year? I didn't get the notice until after I ordered it. Seemed very sudden.

Luckily, I like the metallic white tricoat I ended up getting. Ford is really doing some nice paint jobs that really pop. 

They do that sometimes. There's myriad reasons why they could do it. The most likely is it's just not a popular color or supply runs short and it's being discontinued anyway. 

52 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Thanks again ice-capades. I decided to go with a very small family owned Ford dealer that offers very personal service and follow up. They only have about 130 new Fords in their inventory instead of 2500 like Mullinax. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, valve said:

I suspect the same - low order rate. My wife was looking for a "color" for her Escape and found a Sedona Orange SEL that had been sitting on the lot for 10 months. She was happy to find it and I suspect that the dealer was happy to finally be rid of it ;)

You are probably right. I wanted the sedona orange because it's different and get tired of white, black, and silver. My last 3 vehicles were 2 red and 1 blue. Although I didn't want or like white, the tricoat white looks very nice with all the black accents, especially the 19 inch Bridgestones with the black insert alloys.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They do that sometimes. There's myriad reasons why they could do it. The most likely is it's just not a popular color or supply runs short and it's being discontinued anyway. 

They had to discontinue Tuxedo Black because one of the ingredients came from Japan and was affected by the tsunami/nuclear disaster

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tbone said:

Thats what I do. It’s easier. 

We did that for years and years but the last few vehicles we were able to find almost exactly what we wanted and I didn’t feel like waiting.  No hurry on this one though.  It’s a bit easier now with fewer packages and options.  

7 hours ago, akirby said:

We did that for years and years but the last few vehicles we were able to find almost exactly what we wanted and I didn’t feel like waiting.  No hurry on this one though.  It’s a bit easier now with fewer packages and options.  

Depending on what you are looking for, F-series may be the exception.  So many options.  Likewise, I was able to find exactly what I wanted on my last few vehicles without a factory order.  The internet build and price tools along with searching inventory within a radius makes it fairly easy to get what you want.  Some dealers may not want to trade, though, and prefer to sell what they have.

1 hour ago, slemke said:

Depending on what you are looking for, F-series may be the exception.  So many options.  Likewise, I was able to find exactly what I wanted on my last few vehicles without a factory order.  The internet build and price tools along with searching inventory within a radius makes it fairly easy to get what you want.  Some dealers may not want to trade, though, and prefer to sell what they have.

Most Dealers are pretty good about doing swaps for vehicles their customers want rather than risk losing the business to a competitor. And most Dealers are pretty good about swapping inventory to other Dealers. When inventory levels are good the process is easy but when inventory is tight the selling Dealer will usually require a similar vehicle in return if they'll do the transaction. When there's excess inventory in the market, Dealers will sell inventory outright and not take a vehicle in return which changes the financial aspect because of the lost holdback to the Dealer needing the vehicle. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Most Dealers are pretty good about doing swaps for vehicles their customers want rather than risk losing the business to a competitor. And most Dealers are pretty good about swapping inventory to other Dealers. When inventory levels are good the process is easy but when inventory is tight the selling Dealer will usually require a similar vehicle in return if they'll do the transaction. When there's excess inventory in the market, Dealers will sell inventory outright and not take a vehicle in return which changes the financial aspect because of the lost holdback to the Dealer needing the vehicle. 

Back in 1993 I was buying a 4 door explorer XLT 2wd.  The standard price back then was $500 over invoice.  Local dealer had what we wanted (green with tan leather) but he wanted $800 over invoice.  He was willing to sell a 2 door or a 4wd or an Eddie Bauer for $500 but the 4 door 2wd XLTs were hot.  Found another dealer who was willing to do $500 but he had to do a dealer swap.  He had the deal done to swap a thunderbird but the other dealer backed out at the last minute.  Turns out he was supposed to get the one I looked at from the first dealer.  He found another one.

That same dealer ( no longer in business) held a rigged Ranger giveaway where they said the winner must be present at the drawing.  They called the first name and the person wasn’t there.  But instead of drawing another name they stopped there.  Found out later they “worked something out” with the first name which I assume meant they sold it to him at a discount (or it was all made up).

Ive bought a couple of dealer trades since then with no issues.  Some of the local dealers have preexisting agreements to sell out of each other’s inventory.

• Like 2