Mid-Year Pricing Actions

Some customers are desperate or dumb enough to pay MSRP, but many will shop other models or brands. When F150s prices increase 20+% in one year, many customers will shop less profitable Fords or other brands. Ford is a mass market brand with considerable fixed costs, so further pricing themselves out of the market won't work. 

21 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Some customers are desperate or dumb enough to pay MSRP, but many will shop other models or brands. When F150s prices increase 20+% in one year, many customers will shop less profitable Fords or other brands. Ford is a mass market brand with considerable fixed costs, so further pricing themselves out of the market won't work. 

You have no idea how the market works.  If there are virtually no F150s in stock, where did they go?  If the prices are too high they won’t sell and prices will come down.  Ford knows way more than you do about selling pickups.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I didn't get from being a blue color worker to being able to buy any new Ford I want for cash without understanding markets. Can Ford sustain building F150s at half plant capacity forever, even if no rebates are needed?

Huh?  Who said they're going to do that?

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2021 at 11:35 AM, GearheadGrrrl said:

you forget to realize ALL manufacturers are in the same boat right now, and pretty much EVERYONE is at or above MSRP.

• Like 1

wrong...they are actually one of the best off...although that's not saying much...and youre also incorrect regarding pricing...no one I know of is selling below MSRP. Where the hell do you get your bogus information....www.troll.com? Hows that Transit deal coming along?

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Regarding the price increase, I made a change to my order after the price increase and it now shows on my order sheet. Is this normal that if you make a change to an existing order after a price increase they increase the price on your existing order?

6 minutes ago, 1TonOFun said:

Regarding the price increase, I made a change to my order after the price increase and it now shows on my order sheet. Is this normal that if you make a change to an existing order after a price increase they increase the price on your existing order?

Any changes made will generate the new prices but a retail order is still price protected to the prices in effect the date that the retail order was originally placed. Changes to the order won't affect the price protection. When your Dealer reports the sale to Ford after you take delivery, they submit a claim to Ford for the price protection adjustment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

wrong...they are actually one of the best off...although that's not saying much...and youre also incorrect regarding pricing...no one I know of is selling below MSRP. Where the hell do you get your bogus information....www.troll.com? Hows that Transit deal coming along?

NY Times the other day said Ford was the most affected. While most new Fords are selling for MSRP or close to it, I'm seeing Toyota minivans, GTIs, and a lot of other cars being discounted a bit, though nothing like the 10-20% discounts of a year ago. As for my Transit Connect shopping, right now they're not even scheduling production so no point in ordering one. 

20 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

NY Times the other day said Ford was the most affected. While most new Fords are selling for MSRP or close to it, I'm seeing Toyota minivans, GTIs, and a lot of other cars being discounted a bit, though nothing like the 10-20% discounts of a year ago. As for my Transit Connect shopping, right now they're not even scheduling production so no point in ordering one. 

they ( NY Times ) are wrong, and doesn't acct for the fact its a GLOBAL shortage , ….and NY Times?...not like they haven't reported crap before is it.... much like Mr Trump having protestors with Tear Gas and rubber bullets cleared for a photo op.....and I will clarify...I know employees in GM, Subaru, maserati, Jaguar, Land rover, Porsche, VW, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes,  GM, Dodge ( a reflection of being in the business so long ) ...NO ONE is discounting...NO ONE, and some are over MSRP....why would they given supply issues...

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

NY Times the other day said Ford was the most affected.

Yeah, I'm supposed to believe a paper who's reporters didn't understand how and why a preproduction prototype had camouflage on it while the President drove it. 

Give me a source that actually knows and understands the auto industry and I'll be more inclined to listen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah, I'm supposed to believe a paper who's reporters didn't understand how and why a preproduction prototype had camouflage on it while the President drove it. 

Give me a source that actually knows and understands the auto industry and I'll be more inclined to listen. 

Wait, they said that?  Sheesh…just run the AP or source it from somebody that understands the industry.  Automotive news reported Ford had lost 400000 units of production due to the chip shortage, the most in the industry.  Doesn’t mean they were the most affected, it needs to be adjusted for % of capacity and profitability of the units lost.

5 hours ago, slemke said:

Wait, they said that?  Sheesh…just run the AP or source it from somebody that understands the industry.  Automotive news reported Ford had lost 400000 units of production due to the chip shortage, the most in the industry.  Doesn’t mean they were the most affected, it needs to be adjusted for % of capacity and profitability of the units lost.

One of the Ford executives mentioned it (I believe it may have been Jim Farley) in a quote in one of the Detroit papers. They seriously thought that was what the final version would look like. 

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Bingo...Fords been severely affected, but by no means are they the MOST affected...and that's either volume or profitability wise...Toyota is WAY up there....

Edited by Deanh

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Bingo...Fords been severely affected, but by no means are they the MOST affected...and that's either volume or profitability wise...Toyota is WAY up there....

A friend of mine told me a few days ago on local news radio that Toyota is in dire shape for inventory. 8 days supply for Lexus and 12 for Toyota. I don't think it's nearly that bad for Ford since they’re still able to supply something to dealers even if it's not the entire product range at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

A friend of mine told me a few days ago on local news radio that Toyota is in dire shape for inventory. 8 days supply for Lexus and 12 for Toyota. I don't think it's nearly that bad for Ford since they’re still able to supply something to dealers even if it's not the entire product range at the moment. 

Cant be true, NYT didn't report that.....or CNN...

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, ice-capades said:

Any changes made will generate the new prices but a retail order is still price protected to the prices in effect the date that the retail order was originally placed. Changes to the order won't affect the price protection. When your Dealer reports the sale to Ford after you take delivery, they submit a claim to Ford for the price protection adjustment. 

This has happened to me. On 5/24 I placed an order and then on 6/21 added an option since my order still wasn't scheduled. After getting home I realized that the base MSRP and the base Invoice price had increased. The next day I called my dealer and asked about this but he told me that Ford changes the numbers and he cannot unchange them. Is there any sort of documentation anywhere that would state that the base price should be locked in from the date of order that I can bring with me to have this changed back?

3 hours ago, chadstickpoindexter said:

This has happened to me. On 5/24 I placed an order and then on 6/21 added an option since my order still wasn't scheduled. After getting home I realized that the base MSRP and the base Invoice price had increased. The next day I called my dealer and asked about this but he told me that Ford changes the numbers and he cannot unchange them. Is there any sort of documentation anywhere that would state that the base price should be locked in from the date of order that I can bring with me to have this changed back?

The price protection on a retail order is done between Ford and the dealership. If you've made changes to the order the order gets re-priced at the Price Level in effect at the time the changes were made. The dealership cannot change the vehicle prices to a previous Price Level. You should have a copy of your original order and a Buyer's Order confirming the original sales agreement and specifications.