Missing chips

So what  modules does the Superduty take that are missing because of chips.  I assume since they are able to run and be moved they must have to do with with Sync 3 ? I have looked all over and not just on this site and the answer alludes me. Nobody says why the trucks are setting other than CHIPS. What are the chips running on the trucks ?

8 minutes ago, LEADHEAD said:

So what  modules does the Superduty take that are missing because of chips.  I assume since they are able to run and be moved they must have to do with with Sync 3 ? I have looked all over and not just on this site and the answer alludes me. Nobody says why the trucks are setting other than CHIPS. What are the chips running on the trucks ?

Is it really that important to know the specific chip information? Depending on the vehicle specifications, there's probably multiple chips involved and knowing isn't going to get your truck or anyone else's truck delivered sooner. Neither you or your Dealer has any control over the situation and Ford is doing everything it can to address the situation. 

I'm a little surprised at the responses to what seems to be a legitimate question.  I, too, am curious about what the chip's (or chips') function is/are.  While all of us buyers are eager to get our vehicles, just because someone asks a novel question doesn't mean they're trying to scheme a way to get their vehicle faster.  Forums are for the sharing of information and ideas.  The question was posted in its own topic under what seems to be the appropriate sub-forum.  I would think responses would be more helpful, or just nothing at all.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, LEADHEAD said:

I changed the module in my Polaris for more hp and to take the governor off. It would not run without the module and nothing else would work on it. 

I'm sure you're probably aware that there are many more modules in a Ford truck than "The" module in your Polaris. Many modules, each with likely multiple chipsets. 

As Ice-capades stated, Ford is working diligently to deliver us our trucks. Try to focus on the day that your dealer calls you to "Come pick her up!" That's how I'm trying to think about it anyway...

It'll be worth it! ?

Edited by Tncdrew
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, todd270 said:

I'm a little surprised at the responses to what seems to be a legitimate question.  I, too, am curious about what the chip's (or chips') function is/are.  While all of us buyers are eager to get our vehicles, just because someone asks a novel question doesn't mean they're trying to scheme a way to get their vehicle faster.  Forums are for the sharing of information and ideas.  The question was posted in its own topic under what seems to be the appropriate sub-forum.  I would think responses would be more helpful, or just nothing at all.

When you ask the same question over and over and over, just worded differently and they have been answered repeatedly, it just gets annoying.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, twintornados said:

When you ask the same question over and over and over, just worded differently and they have been answered repeatedly, it just gets annoying.

Ok, I can understand that.  This was the first time I'd seen the question asked.  I know that in the limited time I've been here I've already become a little annoyed at the constant questions surrounding priority codes?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LEADHEAD said:

I am just curious. I changed the module in my Polaris for more hp and to take the governor off. It would not run without the module and nothing else would work on it. Does it hurt to ask a simple question?

I'll do anything I can to provide assistance, as will the other moderators and members that have been active for many years, and understand your frustration. Quite frankly, there are a lot of new members in the past few months and few have bothered to read the information and resources available. Doing so would answer most questions but instead many create topic after topic and the same questions over and over. Ford is doing its best to address the microchip situation and deliver vehicles but provides no information to Dealers other than identifying the affected vehicles in the Vehicle Visibility reporting system. The constant posts with the same questions that have been answered in multiple threads is just wasting a lot of time for some of us and not contributing anything positive to the discussions. 

As a further example... look at some of the threads and the posts asking or sharing the same questions. When did you order your vehicle? What is your priority code? Why is my priority code 19? When did you make your reservation? How come other orders are getting scheduled before mine? If you look at the members making these posts, that just repeat the same questions posted previously, you'll find that it's almost always from new members. And these are all questions that have been answered time after time. 

Yes, I'm venting here and it's not intended personally but only as an example of the time wasted addressing the same questions and issues all too frequently these days. I spend a lot of time providing information and resources to assist the community here but don't have unlimited time to spend here when there are other priorities.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, todd270 said:

Because members keep creating new topics asking the same questions that have been answered over and over in multiple threads. 

Ice, As a member thats been around a long time but posted rarely, I want to personally thank you for your patience as well as your help.   Understand that the majority on here are anxiously awaiting a new BABY.  Much like expecting fathers, they observe & get frustrated when the new born does not just pop out.  Thanks again. 

• Like 3

I think this whole chip thing is beginning to correct itself. I seen that the chip plant that caught fire is at about 80% capacity, but this doesn’t mean overall they are at that percentage. Demand is still at an all time high and these chips require at least 3 months or more to manufacture. This shortage will no doubtably last throughout the rest of this year. Along with all the 21MY trucks, cars etc sitting in parking lots waiting that is sure to delay 22MY vehicles shipping.

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

As a further example... look at some of the threads and the posts asking or sharing the same questions. When did you order your vehicle? What is your priority code? Why is my priority code 19? When did you make your reservation? How come other orders are getting scheduled before mine? If you look at the members making these posts, that just repeat the same questions posted previously, you'll find that it's almost always from new members. And these are all questions that have been answered time after time. 

I believe the reason for that is that the rules for checking on a build requires you to have 15 posts before you can ask for a "build check" in the "Vehicle Locator by Ford Employee" thread.

Rules Required To Post Here

• This service is being provided by Ford employees on a voluntary basis. 

• Abuse of this service or those providing it will result in account suspension or deletion.

• You must have made fifteen (15) good posts on this site before you can post here. Frivolous posts will result in account deletion.

• Do not bump topics that are less than one (1) week old.

Edited by twintornados

10 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I believe the reason for that is that the rules for checking on a build requires you to have 15 posts before you can ask for a "build check" in the "Vehicle Locator by Ford Employee" thread.

Understood and appreciate your feedback but I wasn't even referring to those posting vehicle tracking requests in the "Vehicle Locator by Ford Employee" forum. 

20 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Understood and appreciate your feedback but I wasn't even referring to those posting vehicle tracking requests in the "Vehicle Locator by Ford Employee" forum. 

I think the point was they’re making all these posts here in order to have enough to qualify for tracking.

• Like 3

I suspect the shortage is not just 1 specific chip, but rather the entire manufacturing process of a broader selection of chips.

Lets say for example ford has orders for chips A, B, D, E and G, and they receive a few A's one week, a pile of G's the next, etc. They may have thousands of D's in stock but have no E's. They are producing vehicles as they receive enough of whatever chips that certain vehicle needs. The supply of each chip surely varies and none are consistent. 

Meanwhile your iPhone needs C chips, and dodge is waiting on H chips.

This explains why 21's are trickling out of purgatory and production info for other models seems to change by the week.

Edited by mattdm

8 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Because members keep creating new topics asking the same questions that have been answered over and over in multiple threads. 

I can certainly understand your frustration.  And you've provided a plethora of very useful information that I've read here.  For that, I thank you.  Although I haven't been on this board very long, I've read a lot (though not all) of its content.  And, like I said earlier, I'm already annoyed at all the multiple questions about priority codes, etc.  And, like you said, if people would just take the time to read before posting a question it would eliminate a lot of repetitive topics.  But, I still haven't seen a definitive answer to the OP's question - in this thread or any other.  It appears that no one on this board knows what the missing chip(s) do, or is not willing to divulge that information.  It's certainly not the end of the world if that question isn't answered, obviously, but no one said it is.   

17 minutes ago, todd270 said:

It appears that no one on this board knows what the missing chip(s) do, or is not willing to divulge that information.  It's certainly not the end of the world if that question isn't answered, obviously, but no one said it is.   

Ford isn’t saying which chips and even if they did nobody here would necessarily understand what those modules do.  More importantly it makes absolutely no difference which module it is or if it’s multiple different ones.  They can’t be shipped without all of them.

Continuing to ask about info that A - isn’t available and B - is meaningless even if it was available is downright irritating.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ford isn’t saying which chips and even if they did nobody here would necessarily understand what those modules do.  More importantly it makes absolutely no difference which module it is or if it’s multiple different ones.  They can’t be shipped without all of them.

Continuing to ask about info that A - isn’t available and B - is meaningless even if it was available is downright irritating.

See, this is the condescension that surprises me about some Moderators.  How do YOU know if anyone here would understand what the modules do?  And, just because it is "meaningless" to you, it's obviously not meaningless to everyone.  I just don't understand why you can't ignore a thread if you don't like it or don't know the answer instead of discounting the question as "meaningless."  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, todd270 said:

See, this is the condescension that surprises me about some Moderators.  How do YOU know if anyone here would understand what the modules do?  And, just because it is "meaningless" to you, it's obviously not meaningless to everyone.  I just don't understand why you can't ignore a thread if you don't like it or don't know the answer instead of discounting the question as "meaningless."  

I work for Ford and I don't even know which chips are in short supply right now. Obviously even if I did I would have to be very careful about exactly what I say about it but ask anyone here and they'll tell you I'm typically as up front as I can be without getting myself into trouble.

does that help? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I work for Ford and I don't even know which chips are in short supply right now. Obviously even if I did I would have to be very careful about exactly what I say about it but ask anyone here and they'll tell you I'm typically as up front as I can be without getting myself into trouble.

does that help? 

Absolutely that helps!!  A simple "I don't know" is as valid of an answer as any.  Without sounding too conspiratorial here, if a competitor knew exactly what chips are in short supply, I suppose they could theoretically buy up what few chips are becoming available thereby causing Ford even more headaches.   My interest in the topic was one of mere curiosity.  Such a low level of curiosity that I had not posted the question myself.  I just hate to see someone scolded for asking a question - even if it had been previously asked.  Thanks, Fuzzy!

2 hours ago, todd270 said:

2 topics and 6 posts by the OP about missing chips just isn’t necessary,  

I would also caution you that picking fights with moderators when you’ve been here less than 2 weeks will not end well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, todd270 said:

Todd,

Before you get too frustrated, take some time to learn the personalities of the various posters here on BOF.  Just to be clear, this is a forum run by enthusiasts, not FoMoCo.  Some here are employee's of Ford or it's dealers, others (like myself) are just interested in the product. 

Heck man, it's the internet.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 2

I've got to say I'm curious as well.  I don't quite understand the hate on OP here.  I've found this whole chip thing fascinating and have read a ton of articles about it.  From Ford's choice to use a distributed network across the vehicle with many modules while some manufacturers choose to use a fewer number of "central" modules.  Then the "old" technology these chips are built on and the small number of manufacturers than can still make them.  Even recently the decision by Ford to have alternate circuit designs to accommodate different chip packages to give them more flexibility down the road.  There's also Ford's decision to cancel a bunch of chip orders as they had predicted demand would be down for years with COVID.

It's all interesting!  To me at least.  I've probably spent 10s of hours reading on this specific topic.  I'd love to know which specific modules are impacted here.  I'm an engineer and most of my job is finding root cause and solving problems.  I live for this sort of thing.  Obviously this doesn't change when my truck will arrive.  It's got nothing to do with that.  Isn't this the place for enthusiasts to....be enthused?

• Like 2