7 Speed Ranger

From today's Ford Authority......

Roughly 25 percent of 2021 Ford Bronco owners have chosen the seven-speed manual transmission, Bronco Brand Chief, Mark Grueber, told Ford Authority Executive Editor, Alex Luft, in a recent interview. That’s particularly strong, especially given the fact that the manual is only available with Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4 – not the more popular 2.7L EcoBoost V6.

Just thinking, with that percentage in Broncos, how difficult would it be to offer that in Ranger as well.  Should be  a relatively  low cost conversion-and would set Ranger apart from the GM twins.

The whole reason that MT was dropped was low demand and, manufacturers skipping development costs and vehicle calibration/validation.

If there was a case for the 7-speed manual in Ranger, Ford will find a way to do it. It could be part of a “lifestyle package”.

10 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

From today's Ford Authority......

Roughly 25 percent of 2021 Ford Bronco owners have chosen the seven-speed manual transmission, Bronco Brand Chief, Mark Grueber, told Ford Authority Executive Editor, Alex Luft, in a recent interview. That’s particularly strong, especially given the fact that the manual is only available with Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4 – not the more popular 2.7L EcoBoost V6.

Just thinking, with that percentage in Broncos, how difficult would it be to offer that in Ranger as well.  Should be  a relatively  low cost conversion-and would set Ranger apart from the GM twins.

The conversion part is easy, the expensive part is EPA certification as well as market demand. You also have the additional issue that manual transmissions traditionally have horrid resale value vs an automatic and are more expensive to lease That can translate into resale % numbers dragging the model line down with it. While the Bronco now doesn't have good lease programs as time goes on the non-enthusiast buyers will demand better programs. 

The enthusiast market is what is in the order process for the Bronco right now. Manual trans and Sasquatch numbers are going to go down once the early adopters have gotten their fill. Once the supply issues get rectified there will be more Black Diamonds/Outer Banks/Big Bends out there come the mid-decade model years than the Badlands/Wildtrak/Base models of today. 

I think this headline is a bit misleading. Nowhere does the article say 25% of reservation holders opted for the manual. Look at the choice of words used, “25% of 2021 bronco owners.” People who own a 2021 bronco is a pretty small subset. And you would probably expect manuals to be higher than normal to this group of people because if you ordered a manual, you were less likely to have parts that were hard to get (minus the hardtop), so they had a higher chance of having their bronco built.

53 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The conversion part is easy, the expensive part is EPA certification as well as market demand. You also have the additional issue that manual transmissions traditionally have horrid resale value vs an automatic and are more expensive to lease That can translate into resale % numbers dragging the model line down with it. While the Bronco now doesn't have good lease programs as time goes on the non-enthusiast buyers will demand better programs. 

The enthusiast market is what is in the order process for the Bronco right now. Manual trans and Sasquatch numbers are going to go down once the early adopters have gotten their fill. Once the supply issues get rectified there will be more Black Diamonds/Outer Banks/Big Bends out there come the mid-decade model years than the Badlands/Wildtrak/Base models of today. 

Id almost beg to differ about resale, considerin g manuals are predominantly in performance variants...stick doesn't hurt the mustang in  the slightest...and aside from that its ONLY avail in vehicles like theFocus RS, Focus ST, Fiesta ST...and I can assure you it doesn't hurt them at ALL....in mainstream cars maybe...but I cant recall a mainstream Ford since the Fiesta with the 1.0 that had a stick,,,and my Bronco Res is a 2 door stick in the  full-size. LOVE my manuals.

Edited by Deanh

Would it even need to be a 7 speed. Does the Ranger need the crawler gear? I would think they could get away with a cheaper version of the same trans (minus crawler) for the Ranger. Even if the take rate was 10% that helps with the economies of scale.

I'd buy a manual due to long term reliability compared to an automatic. Replacing a clutch or throwout bearing is much cheaper than a new auto trans.  Think of it this way. If you are going to keep you vehicle for a long time, what is the mostly likely thing to go. Transmission. I'm no expert and don't have stats on this, but in my experience people get rid of their cars a lot more because of the auto transmission going. Rebuilding generally is 2-3k. New 3-4.  I can't remember someone getting rid of their car due to the engine going bad (only exception is oil consumption).

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Id almost beg to differ about resale, considerin g manuals are predominantly in performance variants...stick doesn't hurt the mustang in  the slightest...and aside from that its ONLY avail in vehicles like theFocus RS, Focus ST, Fiesta ST...and I can assure you it doesn't hurt them at ALL....in mainstream cars maybe...but I cant recall a mainstream Ford since the Fiesta with the 1.0 that had a stick,,,and my Bronco Res is a 2 door stick in the  full-size. LOVE my manuals.

I agree with you on a performance or fun vehicle, however the ST Focus/Fiesta would have sold considerably better had there been an automatic option, there Edge ST could have had a stick but the market is so small that it wasn't worth the investment.  The Bronco and Mustang are going to have a certain subset that is a large enough population that will seek out a manual trans. The Ranger isn't really that market however the one thing the Ranger does have going for it is the Tacoma does have a stick shift and one will be developed for ROW applications, maybe Ford will try it and see where it lands for the next generation. Can they recoup the 10 million or so invested here to make it a reality. There is a reason stick shifts died in almost every other mass market segment though, no real sales and even worse resale.

5 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I agree with you on a performance or fun vehicle, however the ST Focus/Fiesta would have sold considerably better had there been an automatic option, there Edge ST could have had a stick but the market is so small that it wasn't worth the investment.  The Bronco and Mustang are going to have a certain subset that is a large enough population that will seek out a manual trans. The Ranger isn't really that market however the one thing the Ranger does have going for it is the Tacoma does have a stick shift and one will be developed for ROW applications, maybe Ford will try it and see where it lands for the next generation. Can they recoup the 10 million or so invested here to make it a reality. There is a reason stick shifts died in almost every other mass market segment though, no real sales and even worse resale.

not to mention most people cannot drive them...its almost a theft deterrent...lol. Me, I just like the hands on...that and I have NEVER ever had any transmission issues...or needed re-flashing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I think this headline is a bit misleading. Nowhere does the article say 25% of reservation holders opted for the manual. Look at the choice of words used, “25% of 2021 bronco owners.” People who own a 2021 bronco is a pretty small subset. And you would probably expect manuals to be higher than normal to this group of people because if you ordered a manual, you were less likely to have parts that were hard to get (minus the hardtop), so they had a higher chance of having their bronco built.

For some context - over at 6g, orders placed/tracked have the manual at a 15% take rate......and that's on an enthusiast site where you'd expect the take rate to be higher than the regular population.  Totally agree with whoever said we'll see take rate for things like the 2 door, manual, etc. dip after initial demand is fulfilled for those.

8 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Would it even need to be a 7 speed. Does the Ranger need the crawler gear? I would think they could get away with a cheaper version of the same trans (minus crawler) for the Ranger. Even if the take rate was 10% that helps with the economies of scale.

I'd buy a manual due to long term reliability compared to an automatic. Replacing a clutch or throwout bearing is much cheaper than a new auto trans.  Think of it this way. If you are going to keep you vehicle for a long time, what is the mostly likely thing to go. Transmission. I'm no expert and don't have stats on this, but in my experience people get rid of their cars a lot more because of the auto transmission going. Rebuilding generally is 2-3k. New 3-4.  I can't remember someone getting rid of their car due to the engine going bad (only exception is oil consumption).

Do you lose the economies of scale by removing the crawler gear though?

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

not to mention most people cannot drive them...its almost a theft deterrent...lol. Me, I just like the hands on...that and I have NEVER ever had any transmission issues...or needed re-flashing...

My brother bought an old 2001 Ranger to learn stick on haha.

21 hours ago, Deanh said:

I remember burning the crap out of my 97 Rangers manual, would still be driving it if the dash wasnt lit up like a Christmas tree lol. Wish the Ranger/Maverick was available in stick

20 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Do you lose the economies of scale by removing the crawler gear though?

If everything else is the same, I don't see why not. 

20 hours ago, rmc523 said:

My brother bought an old 2001 Ranger to learn stick on haha.

I didn't know how to drive my 08 Focus when I bought it my (now) wife had to drive it off the lot for me. I already knew the basic concept on how to drive it from observing my dad growing up but I needed her there to help. 

47 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If everything else is the same, I don't see why not. 

I didn't know how to drive my 08 Focus when I bought it my (now) wife had to drive it off the lot for me. I already knew the basic concept on how to drive it from observing my dad growing up but I needed her there to help. 

Yeah, I've been learning too - same as you - knew the basic idea, but hadn't done it.  Never realized you're modulating the clutch so often - always thought it was a "push, switch, pull" type of thing, not a fluid thing.