10 speed trans and snowplowing. Don't like it

Kory04

I've had my truck with 7.3 for about 3 months now and I like most everything about it, except the transmission while plowing snow.  I plow a large storage facility and it has some pretty long runs.  The reverse gear is really low compared to my other trucks, and you have to run at least 3000 rpm to get a decently fast reverse speed.  The bigger complaint is pushing snow forward.  Many times when changing from reverse to forward, the truck will skip first gear completely and start out in 2nd gear and then very quickly jump to third (within a few seconds), even when I'm not trying to go very fast.  I even have the 3.55 gearing.  The truck seems to have adequate power but it seems like this would be hard on the transmission, it hardly gets past 1000 rpm before hitting 3rd gear.  Due to the layout of our facility, we need to pile the snow at the ends of all the buildings, and then come from the side and carry the piled snow quite a distance.  So that leaves me pushing snow piles the size of small cars for several hundred feet, in 3rd gear running no more than 1000 rpm.  

You can shut out the upper gears with the toggle switch on the shifter, but that gets reset every time you shift out of drive, and back into drive. 

This morning, I played with the drive modes, and only the deep snow/sand seemed to keep it out of 3rd gear, and it worked okay, but it will take a little getting used to.... it seems like it makes the throttle quite a bit more touchy, spinning the tires more easily, especially when the tires are on a slippery surface trying to push a load of snow.  

Just wanted to put this out there for anybody also looking to plow snow. 

One final thing I've noticed.....The truck will get decent (14mpg range) if you drive a whole tank out in one sitting, but running just a couple miles to town and back, or even idling for any length of time will quickly tank the mileage to dismal, and sometimes single digit numbers, its almost unbelievable.   When doing only plowing, the average is around 5-6 mpg, also a bit worse than I expected.   My 2006 5.4 would average in the 7's mpg  plowing, and 8's mpg for everything else, so I thought it would at least match those numbers, considering the highway mpg is so much better in the new truck.  Not that we buy these trucks for good mpg, but I wonder if the 6.2 would have been a better choice or more efficient for my work truck that does a lot of idling, plowing, and towing around town. 

Edited by Kory04

you can shift manually, but that's not realistic or feasible with so much forward and back, all while holding a plow controller in my right hand.  I think the deep snow/sand is the best option.  Better yet, Ford should make a snow plowing mode for trucks equipped with plow prep.  One other irritating trait, the back defrost only stays on for about 5-10 minutes, and window is constantly fogging up. Would be easier if it would just stay on when I turn it on.  Maybe this is adjustable in forscan, If I found someone with the right knowledge to do so?  

Edited by Kory04
  • Like 1

3.55 because 430 seems really low and totally unnecessary with an engine of such size and power.  I wanted the best mpg possible, because i also drive highway a fair amount of the time too.  As I said, even in third at low rpm, I'm not lacking power at all, just seems like it is unnecessary strain on the transmission

14 hours ago, Kory04 said:

3.55 because 430 seems really low and totally unnecessary with an engine of such size and power.  I wanted the best mpg possible, because i also drive highway a fair amount of the time too.  As I said, even in third at low rpm, I'm not lacking power at all, just seems like it is unnecessary strain on the transmission

Was 3.31 available on your build?

On 12/27/2021 at 7:30 PM, Kory04 said:

So you spec'd it for mpg and you're complaining about how it doesn't push snow in first gear very well -- is that right?

6 hours ago, BigUnixGeek said:

So you spec'd it for mpg and you're complaining about how it doesn't push snow in first gear very well -- is that right?

Not exactly, I'm complaining because the truck skips first gear completely and starts out in 2nd under a load.  truck has plenty of power to do it even with higher gearing.  It just seems like doing so would put unnecessary wear and tear on transmission.  I'd prefer it to use  gear 1 & 2 for plowing not 2 & 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kory04 said:

Not exactly, I'm complaining because the truck skips first gear completely and starts out in 2nd under a load.  truck has plenty of power to do it even with higher gearing.  It just seems like doing so would put unnecessary wear and tear on transmission.  I'd prefer it to use  gear 1 & 2 for plowing not 2 & 3.

Again - have you tried sport mode?

Its not that hard to shift it manually.  It will start in 1st gear and you control shifting to 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by akirby

I've plowed for 20 yrs,  my 2012 with the 6.2 and my 2015  6.2  both did great with a 8 1/2ft V plow.  My new King with the 7.3 is somewhat jumpey with the 4.3 rear end and I hear you Kory4 with the reverse stuff and manual shifting is not really easy with the controller in your right hand.  Up here in NY,  we haven't had any snow so my new V with the new LED lights is still has stickers on her.  I'm not happy to hear that the 10 speed shifts crazy while plowing.  Maybe a tune with the Forscan will help.  Rob

Rob, I've noticed that the truck starts out in 2nd from reverse mainly when I shift before the truck is at an absolute dead stop. If you let it come to a complete stop, then shift to drive, it will usually start in first gear, but only for an instant. In time, I'm sure we'll find a method that works for us, and for now, my method is the deep snow drive mode

• 2 weeks later...

Just thinking here, but the 10 speed was designed to handle the torque of the 6.7, so I would assume that plowing in 3rd with the 7.3 is not putting any additional strain on it.  I currently plow with a 2021 with the 6.2 and 6 speed, but I don't pay attention to what gear it's pushing in.  I haven't noticed any issues with it either, always enough power to shove whatever pile is in front of the truck.

Plus you have 60,000 miles to find out if there is an issue with it.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, Adirondex said:

Plow being installed end of next week on new F250 7.3 10 spd with 3.55's. Coming from a 6.2 6 speed with 3.73's & 8 1/2 V-plow.

Anxious to find out for myself after a few weeks, I'll follow up.

Please do, I'd like to hear the experiences of others on this