What's your payload capacity?

mortadella

While those of us are waiting for their trucks I was wondering about payload capacity. Ford lists in their specifications what the maximum payload can be for a truck but it's pretty difficult to figure out the actual capacity based on trim levels and options. I'd love to see what payload capacities are out there. I'm super interested in F350 CCLB SRW payload capacity at the Platinum level with a 7.3 or the 6.7 engine if anyone has a truck in that range but also just curious in general how much it goes down from what Ford advertises.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mortadella said:

While those of us are waiting for their trucks I was wondering about payload capacity. Ford lists in their specifications what the maximum payload can be for a truck but it's pretty difficult to figure out the actual capacity based on trim levels and options. I'd love to see what payload capacities are out there. I'm super interested in F350 CCLB SRW payload capacity at the Platinum level with a 7.3 or the 6.7 engine if anyone has a truck in that range but also just curious in general how much it goes down from what Ford advertises.

My 2013 F-350 SRW 4x2 Lariat 6.7 had a payload of about 3,400 lbs. I expect the 2022MY to be between 3,500 and 4,000 lbs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph K said:

Would F350 tremor have different payload vs the non-tremor?

Yes, any options picked will pretty much reduce payload. FX4 off road package, Tremor package, moon roof, heck even adding 5th wheel prep reduces payload! I know the 5th wheel hitch weighs about 200lbs and watching the install video in another thread I bet the prep kit itself is about another 200lbs. It's even worse when going through Ford's website to "build" a truck. If someone accidentally picks a GVWR option listed like attached (I picked an F350 SRW 8' bed), this decreases the available payload! I think by default the F350 SRW 8' bed comes with a 11,500 GVWR (with the 7.3L Gas, I think it's 12,400 with 6.7L Diesel) so picking either of those will either decrease payload by a little or a lot. There are options that can be picked like the heavy duty front suspension, snow plow, or camper packages that increase the GVWR a little more which will increase payload.

image.png

Edited by mortadella

You don't want to choose either GVWR reduction option unless you have a specific reason to.

Some specific reasons can include if the truck is used commercially, some states will require a CDL.  Another reason, if your state taxes and/or licenses the truck as a commercial vehicle, even if it's not used commercially.

• Like 1

I just got my 2022 class-5, F-550 4x4 Lariat cab and chassis, no bed yet.  Weight is going to go up as I install parts.  Leaning towards an aluminum flat bed (about 8-foot wide by 11.5 foot long (2-foot longer 84” cab-to-axle, than std 60”).  Steel beds are cheaper, but maybe double the weight.  So there is no reason to weigh it yet, and as an incomplete vehicle, there is no yellow sticker on door-post.  But since gross is the higher (max) of 19,500lbs, and truck weight now says 8,200lbs, my max payload will be less than 11,300lbs.

My main reasons in buying this truck, is to carry my heavy triple slide, “slide-in” truck camper, trail-bike, and pull a trailer.  The class-3, 14,000lb gross weight of my 2015 F-350 4x4 dually is not enough, (note, you can spec a class-4, F-450 with a 16,000lb GVWR, vs std class-3, F-450 with same max as a  F-350, 14,000 GVWR), not only was it overweight, but, I wanted the stronger frame, and bigger brakes (thus 19.5” wheels vs 17”) this truck has.  Not to mention longer wheelbase, sharper turning axle, aluminum cab, 10-speed tranny, 12-inch screen, Sync-4 (wireless car-play).  Of note, Lariat is the highest trim on a F-550, Crew-Cab or Lariat not available on a F-600, as I understand it.  Ford’s website did not offer LED headlights, truck showed up without CHMSL (3rd brake light), and when I pulled plug, no wires inside, even though it said “standard on Lariat”.  Another screw-up was got “heavy” front suspension (7000lb front axle), not the “extra-heavy” (7500 lb), I tried to order (probably dealer’s fault).  Only camera (other than behind windshield top) is the trailer cam option in a box.

Close enough, a very nice truck, even with derated power 6.7L diesel.  Nothing is perfect.  After driving home, check engine light, referencing ambient temp sensor came on.  That is why I paid for new, warrantee will fix everything at no cost.  Back to subject, I should be able to carry about 10,000 lbs (including trailer tongue weight), all said and done.

23 minutes ago, MorePower! said:

I just got my 2022 class-5, F-550 4x4 Lariat cab and chassis, no bed yet.  Weight is going to go up as I install parts.  Leaning towards an aluminum flat bed (about 8-foot wide by 11.5 foot long (2-foot longer 84” cab-to-axle, than std 60”).  Steel beds are cheaper, but maybe double the weight.  So there is no reason to weigh it yet, and as an incomplete vehicle, there is no yellow sticker on door-post.  But since gross is the higher (max) of 19,500lbs, and truck weight now says 8,200lbs, my max payload will be less than 11,300lbs.

My main reasons in buying this truck, is to carry my heavy triple slide, “slide-in” truck camper, trail-bike, and pull a trailer.  The class-3, 14,000lb gross weight of my 2015 F-350 4x4 dually is not enough, (note, you can spec a class-4, F-450 with a 16,000lb GVWR, vs std class-3, F-450 with same max as a  F-350, 14,000 GVWR), not only was it overweight, but, I wanted the stronger frame, and bigger brakes (thus 19.5” wheels vs 17”) this truck has.  Not to mention longer wheelbase, sharper turning axle, aluminum cab, 10-speed tranny, 12-inch screen, Sync-4 (wireless car-play).  Of note, Lariat is the highest trim on a F-550, Crew-Cab or Lariat not available on a F-600, as I understand it.  Ford’s website did not offer LED headlights, truck showed up without CHMSL (3rd brake light), and when I pulled plug, no wires inside, even though it said “standard on Lariat”.  Another screw-up was got “heavy” front suspension (7000lb front axle), not the “extra-heavy” (7500 lb), I tried to order (probably dealer’s fault).  Only camera (other than behind windshield top) is the trailer cam option in a box.

Close enough, a very nice truck, even with derated power 6.7L diesel.  Nothing is perfect.  After driving home, check engine light, referencing ambient temp sensor came on.  That is why I paid for new, warrantee will fix everything at no cost.  Back to subject, I should be able to carry about 10,000 lbs (including trailer tongue weight), all said and done.

That sounds awesome.  Would love to see some pictures, now and future progress pics.  Might be worthy of its own thread ?

Forderorder, ya know I tried to send a pic on another thread asking for shots, but think it was way too large, crashed.  I can say it is iconic silver, with the baja interior, highly optioned out.  Looks really redneck (a compliment) with wood 2-ba-4, dealer zip-tied on my frame-rails to hang mudflaps I insisted on, to be road legal here in Texas.  I said I do not want (and will peel off) any paint emblems they put on.  Lic plate frame is ok, 2 mud-flaps are enough free advertising from me.  But, they sail back bad at speed being thin.  I might add more weight to bottoms.  They really should be longer also. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, mortadella said:

What engine do you have? Those are great numbers.

It’s a 7.3 gasser and 3.73 gear, picked up on March 4th I’ve only driven it 56 miles so far. This coming weekend I’m planning a long drive to start the break in. I’m hoping for good fuel economy, I’ll share with all soon.

Edited by 35FordTudor

• 3 weeks later...