Trailer Brake Recall Notice

This was posted up on the FTE forum, but thought I would bring it here also just to keep the Blue Oval guys up to date. There have been quite a few instances of the trailer brakes intermittently failing for no apparent reason. Looks like there will now be an official recall for this problem. As far as I know, this only affects the 22 model year, but it would be worth checking on the Ford's Customer Service site for your VIN:

https://www.ford.com/support/recalls-details/YourVinNumber/

Of course, substitute your actual VIN number in the area above between the /'s. This was just posted by Ford to the NHTSA on the 25th, so not sure when we will get the official notices in the mail. The sooner, the better. I don't really want to pull my 5th wheel down the road this summer with the possibility of losing the trailer brakes just when I needed them.

F350_Recall.JPG

Edited by AtlasBlue350
  • Thanks 2

My truck was built last week on the 22nd and they must have identified and fixed the issue at the time it was built since I ran my VIN and it says I am all clear.  Looks like they just need to reprogram the controller module so it "should" be a simple fix for those with the recall. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NH_Bulldog said:

My truck was built last week on the 22nd and they must have identified and fixed the issue at the time it was built since I ran my VIN and it says I am all clear.  Looks like they just need to reprogram the controller module so it "should" be a simple fix for those with the recall. 

How can we verify if its fixed/updated. Just ran my VIN and maybe they did it at factory, but recall came out yesterday or i think couple days ago and my truck had already been built/shipped. My vin did not show the recall was needed.

30 minutes ago, MFord said:

How can we verify if its fixed/updated. Just ran my VIN and maybe they did it at factory, but recall came out yesterday or i think couple days ago and my truck had already been built/shipped. My vin did not show the recall was needed.

I could be wrong (my wife says it happens all the time), but typically with a recall, there is a history of issues leading up to the recall event, followed by research to see what models, days and weeks might have been impacted, followed by a "fix" that is tested and them implemented.  The recall was dated 3/25 and my truck was built 3/21 so I think we might fall into that Guinea pig group, unknowingly field testing their solution.  Recalls often expand in scope, so it could still be an issue, so it is worth keeping an eye on it.

If your vehicle is t included in the recall thenit either already has the updated software or it’s not applicable to your vehicle for some reason.  If the software is available for dealers to I stall it was most certainly already in new vehicles for at least a couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, buckstop515 said:

Mine was built Nov. 20, 2021 and mine does not have a recall. My software was just updated through ford pass though.

You might check again tomorrow. When I first went in the site and checked, it showed mine in the clear. Later on that same day, I checked again and it showed the recall. And since mine was built on the 22nd of December and shows the recall, I would imagine yours would have it as well. Another place you can check is on the NHTSA website:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle/vehicle-information

And enter your VIN. If there are any recalls applicable to your truck, they will also show up there.

Edited by AtlasBlue350

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

Oh Goody... thanks for the heads up.

Do these trucks have OTA capability for software updates?

It does, but as far as I know, it's only for the Sync 3/4 system and not any of the actual truck modules. It would be nice if they would have incorporated such a feature so we didn't have to bother taking it in to a dealer.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, buckstop515 said:

Mine was built Nov. 20, 2021 and mine does not have a recall. My software was just updated through ford pass though.

Mid-Dec. '21 build here with the recall.

Edited by doyall

I am subscribed to NHTSA to receive notifications and received one for this recall yesterday. It’s NHTSA Recall ID Number 22V193, Manufacturer Recall 22S17. I called my dealer and they took my 2022 F350 without me having yet received the actual recall notice from Ford. I was eager to get this reprogram  since we have had at least 2 occasions where I lost trailer brakes while towing our 2021 16,000 lb Montana 5th wheel. Last weekend, I took the wheels off an inspected the trailer brakes thinking that I had a brake issue. I am optimistically relieved that it might have been the trailer brake controller all along.

If you’re using your truck to pull heavy trailers, DO NOT WAIT FOR A RECALL TO BE RECEIVED, call your local dealer and get them to do the reprogram ASAP.

Enter 17 Character VIN
17/17

2022FORD F-350

undefined undefined undefined
VIN: 1FT8W3             Recall data refreshed on Apr 02,2022

2 Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN

Feb 16,2022
Manufacturer Recall Number22S09
NHTSA Recall Number22v087
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete

SummaryON YOUR VEHICLE, AN UNDERBODY INSULATOR MAY LOOSEN AND CONTACT THE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT, RESULTING IN MARKING OR SCORING OF THE DRIVESHAFT. CONTINUED CONTACT MAY RESULT IN DRIVESHAFT FRACTURE.

Safety RiskA FRACTURED DRIVESHAFT POSES THE RISKS OF LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER WHILE DRIVING, UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN PARK IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT APPLIED, AND SECONDARY DAMAGE TO SURROUNDING COMPONENTS. A FRACTURED DRIVESHAFT MAY ALSO CONTACT THE GROUND WHICH MAY CAUSE LOSS OF CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING. A FRACTURED DRIVESHAFT INCREASES THE RISK OF INJURY OR CRASH.

RemedyFORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO SECURE THE UNDERBODY INSULATOR AND INSPECT THE DRIVESHAFT FOR DAMAGE AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE PARTS AND LABOR.

Manufacturer's NotesTO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.

Mar 25,2022
Manufacturer Recall Number22S17
NHTSA Recall Number22v193
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete

SummaryREPROGRAM INTEGRATED TRAILER RELAY MODULE

Safety RiskLOSS OF TRAILER BRAKE FUNCTIONALITY COULD RESULT IN EXTENDED STOPPING DISTANCE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

RemedyOWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE INTEGRATED TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.

Manufacturer's NotesTO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

• Like 1

We're on the road right now.  Yesterday was able to bleed the trailer hydraulic brakes to get the air out of the line.  It was more air than I care to see in brake lines, and explains the slow ramp up in pressure.  Wife had a hard panic stop when someone turned right in front of us.  Took several moments for the trailer brake pressure to build, but once it got there, we were full stop RIGHT NOW.  Missed plowing into the side of a small car the young woman was driving by literally inches.  That would have really wrecked her day, 20,000ish lbs full impact side of her car.  I saw the accident developing before my wife did, her vision was shadowed by the 18 wheeler on our left side.  I yelled out BRAKE, just as she saw the car.  So yeah, brake controller recall is something to be concerned with.

• Like 2

Saturday on my way home from Florida I was between Dothan and Troy Alabama, traffic signal up head was changing so I started to slow down and ease on the brakes.However there were no trailer brakes tried manual and nothing.I was far enough away the transmission and engine brake along with truck brakes allowed me to stop ok.I was in a spot that I couldn’t pull over so I gently drove with plenty of distance until I could pull off.I checked everything I could still no brakes.Finally I shut the truck off and waited 5 minutes and restarted it, and the trailer brakes started working just fine.Sunday there was nothing open to check the controller but the brakes were fine.So I proceeded on home stoping every 2 hours or so shutting the truck off each stop ,and was able to get home with no further problems.Going to dealer in the am.