'22 March Sales

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

The EcoSport is going to be the "Dodge Dart" of Ford. They will be available-on dealer lots for years....

Doubt that because  it’s still selling about 3,000 a month and while not great, it still has a place while Maverick is production limited. 

What’s also surprising is the prices being asked for Edge vs Explorer and buyers still willing to purchase, maybe because availability is better but good to see the double act still going on. The 2.0 Ecoboost and 8-speed auto is a great combination and good on gas mileage, disappointing that Ford didn’t do at least 2.5 hybrid with battery under the floor but that’s been beat to death…

Today I stopped in at my dealership to hopefully get the last oil change done on my 2019 Ranger before my 2022 Ranger Tremor shows up and there were people that came in to trade an almost new EcoSport that still had paper dealer plates on it for a new Escape because they disliked it so much. So they got an EcoSport sold only for it to return.?

9 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Today I stopped in at my dealership to hopefully get the last oil change done on my 2019 Ranger before my 2022 Ranger Tremor shows up and there were people that came in to trade an almost new EcoSport that still had paper dealer plates on it for a new Escape because they disliked it so much. So they got an EcoSport sold only for it to return.?

When the market gets back to normal and vehicle availability is widespread-those trading in an EcoSport are really going to see low resale values.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ecosport Inventory 

January………….8,000

February…………4,500

March…………….5,200

April……..………10,900

Ford was getting the inventory levels down but then the must have received more shipments from India.

Maybe use them as service day courtesy vehicles and don’t ask for them back…….

I guess the final run-out shipment arrived from India this month. That's about 120 days sales in inventory which will last into late summer and balance of the 2022 model year selling season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

When the market gets back to normal and vehicle availability is widespread-those trading in an EcoSport are really going to see low resale values.

Yes. They were probably smart to trade it right back for an Escape right now and take a smaller loss then wait and really lose.

31 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I guess the final run-out shipment arrived from India this month. That's about 120 days sales in inventory which will last into late summer and balance of the 2022 model year selling season. 

2022MY EcoSport production doesn't balance out until 05/29/2022 so vehicles will be in transit for at least 2 months after that. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Yes. They were probably smart to trade it right back for an Escape right now and take a smaller loss then wait and really lose.

Mullinax has over 70 Ecosports on their lots and probably sells no more than a few/month. At that rate, it will take years to sell them all. Before year is out, Ford and/or dealers will have to offer blow out sales to get rid of them. Not sure how Mullinax got stuck with so many Ecosports. The Ecosport from day 1 should have been hybrid only. Its small size and 50mpg would have made it far more sellable. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

I doubt that the market will ever go back to where it was, all automakers now see that even with annoying chip shortages they can sell products at full retail and quote high residual values because the used marker is blowing up as well. It’s an industry wide conspiracy not unlike game theory where manufacturers and dealers even in competing brands all realise that ending discounts is good for everyone except buyers. It’s like the auto industry turned into OPEC, brands don’t seem to compete anymore.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I doubt that the market will ever go back to where it was, all automakers now see that even with annoying chip shortages they can sell products at full retail and quote high residual values because the used marker is blowing up as well. It’s an industry wide conspiracy not unlike game theory where manufacturers and dealers even in competing brands all realise that ending discounts is good for everyone except buyers. It’s like the auto industry turned into OPEC, brands don’t seem to compete anymore.

Yea-convince the Koreans, VW and Toyota this the NEW WAY. File that under it's not going to happen. Even right GM is offering incentives on their trucks  currently. Granted not big ones but they are there.

Edited by CKNSLS

27 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Yea-convince the Koreans, VW and Toyota this the NEW WAY. File that under it's not going to happen. Even right GM is offering incentives on their trucks  currently. Granted not big ones but they are there.

These are weird times with chip and supply shortages but it’s teaching many companies lessons long forgotten, when you don’t over produce and oversupply the market, you don’t have to offer excessive incentives, enough customers will still buy your products even with higher prices. You can bet that beyond shortages most manufacturers will keep inventories tight and trade on higher prices.

25 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

These are weird times with chip and supply shortages but it’s teaching many companies lessons long forgotten, when you don’t over produce and oversupply the market, you don’t have to offer excessive incentives, enough customers will still buy your products even with higher prices. You can bet that beyond shortages most manufacturers will keep inventories tight and trade on higher prices.

And yet they're wasting chips on BS like the EcoSport.... 

26 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

And yet they're wasting chips on BS like the EcoSport.... 

Absolutely and to this day, Ford’s pricing of Ecosport flies in the face of reality, for all the claimed changes in selling vehicles, there’s still some glaring anomalies. India chip contracts negotiated via a different part of the company as part of final defined build number. It would have been easier to have ended production late last year but I suspect that wasn’t possible without more expensive costs. 

Edited by jpd80

51 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Keep repeating and some will believe that. At least there is precedent for that method.

52 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Keep repeating and some will believe that. At least there is precedent for that method.

That seems to be the theory with your prattle…..

It’s your choice to believe that somewhere off in the future, things get back to “normal” but is that happening later this year? next year? the year after?

Since you’re the one saying things will change, the burden of proof for that is on you….

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

That seems to be the theory with your prattle…..

It’s your choice to believe that somewhere off in the future, things get back to “normal” but is that happening later this year? next year? the year after?

Since you’re the one saying things will change, the burden of proof for that is on you….

You will see the proof 18 to 24 months down the road....go ahead and bookmark this page.

30 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

You will see the proof 18 to 24 months down the road....go ahead and bookmark this page.

I’m not the kind to behave that way, I would love to see that happen but doubt it ever will…

Just a thought, it may be more beneficial for you to put your prediction in your signature,

that way, it’s a constant reminder every time you post…

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I’m not the kind to behave that way, I would love to see that happen but doubt it ever will…

Just a thought, it may be more beneficial for you to put your prediction in your signature,

that way, it’s a constant reminder every time you post…

One good recession will fill the dealer lots again. It’ll happen again even though some say it won’t. It always does and is many times preceded by a period of high inflation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

One good recession will fill the dealer lots again. It’ll happen again even though some say it won’t. It always does and is many times preceded by a period of high inflation.

This Qualitative easing going on and all the repos and reverse repos going on locking funding inside the Fed and commercial banks is really screwing with natural order that’s happened in the past, it’s like the rule book is out the window, there’s been like three occasions with the stock market  in the last eight months that a major correction triggered recession should have happened but it’s like certain people are messing with this……

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

The last recession sales dropped from 17M to 11M.  Last year was 13M.  The difference right now is they’re actually production constrained rather than buyer constrained.  I don’t remember seeing these high prices and record profit margins in the recent past so we may see a much different strategy going forward especially with Farley.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The last recession sales dropped from 17M to 11M.  Last year was 13M.  The difference right now is they’re actually production constrained rather than buyer constrained.  I don’t remember seeing these high prices and record profit margins in the recent past so we may see a much different strategy going forward especially with Farley.  Time will tell.

Exactly. Demand is far outpacing supply right now, hence the record high ATPs. 

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Exactly. Demand is far outpacing supply right now, hence the record high ATPs. 

Absolutely, “high demand”  not because people are cashed up from Covid funding, it’s simply back to normal demand being curtailed by supply restrictions. When things return to normal, sales will increase but that doesn’t mean inventory will suddenly spiral out of control and flood dealerships. If anything, I expect inventory to remain tight so that profits are maximised….

Edited by jpd80