Ford Sales - August 2022

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

It was Chrysler that started it in the Mid 70's and Lee Iaccoca rev'ed it up with his famous "Buy a car, get a check!" campaign. 

Iacocca was with Ford until 1978 when Hank the Deuce fired him.  It was Joe Garagiola who was the huckster back in 1975.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, jpd80 said:

Correct, it’s a bit like crop rotation to keep Louisville, Hermosillo and Oakville ticking over. You can see that Bronco Sport, Maverick, Escape and Edge could all sell way more than they are. Absolutely frustrating to have good products and not be able to fill out production and sales.

You are correct. In the case of a Oakville we have been working 3 days a week for like the past month recently. Constant parts shortages etc etc. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

You are correct. In the case of a Oakville we have been working 3 days a week for like the past month recently. Constant parts shortages etc etc. 

Relying on out sourced parts is a big issue within Ford, I know that the covid lock down in China earlier this year resulted in restricted production  for New Ranger  in Thailand (not just chips) they expect Q4 to be much better (we’ll see). It seems like all the assumed low risk supply strategy is now bringing Ford and others undone.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Relying on out sourced parts is a big issue within Ford, I know that the covid lock down in China earlier this year resulted in restricted production  for New Ranger  in Thailand (not just chips) they expect Q4 to be much better (we’ll see). It seems like all the assumed low risk supply strategy is now bringing Ford and others undone.

Even if the parts were insourced  they’d have the same problem with raw materials.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Even if the parts were insourced  they’d have the same problem with raw materials.

Even though prices have increased, raw materials are not really the issue as much as relying on production facilities that are in regions under lock down/external influences. That loss of control at distance is a big issue in the industry (not just Ford)

Not saying that’s the only issue but perhaps some good Will come from this when risk management has real world examples of exposure and consequence. The best educator is loss of income/profit

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Not necessarily. Suppliers are getting hit harder than the big 3 for manpower (not that we don't have our own struggles with that at the moment) because they don't pay as well as the big 3. Even with the bargaining power of the UAW that gap will probably never be closed. Better to bring some of that work in house if possible where you have more control over manpower issues. 

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Not necessarily. Suppliers are getting hit harder than the big 3 for manpower (not that we don't have our own struggles with that at the moment) because they don't pay as well as the big 3. Even with the bargaining power of the UAW that gap will probably never be closed. Better to bring some of that work in house if possible where you have more control over manpower issues. 

I agree when it’s a manpower issue but a lot of the supply chain issues are shipping related and that affects everyone and everything.

58 minutes ago, akirby said:

I agree when it’s a manpower issue but a lot of the supply chain issues are shipping related and that affects everyone and everything.

And now we wait to see if there's going to be a national strike by the rail workers. They're looking for major increases in wages and benefits in the new contract. Just a matter of time before the manufacturers are forced to raise the freight fees again for vehicles.  

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

And now we wait to see if there's going to be a national strike by the rail workers. They're looking for major increases in wages and benefits in the new contract. Just a matter of time before the manufacturers are forced to raise the freight fees again for vehicles.  

I've been following that for a few months, it's more than that. It has just as much to do with reduction in crew sizes (the big 4 want 1 man crews) and increased train length and ridiculously overbearing attendance policies. It's worth looking into, the way the Class I railroads are treating their employees right now is abhorrent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I've been following that for a few months, it's more than that. It has just as much to do with reduction in crew sizes (the big 4 want 1 man crews) and increased train length and ridiculously overbearing attendance policies. It's worth looking into, the way the Class I railroads are treating their employees right now is abhorrent. 

True on all accounts. However, I'd expect the average consumer reading the media reports to see the current salaries and be less concerned or sympathetic to the other negotiation issues. The likely strike will be short term, a result of the rail carriers caving in, resulting in even higher shipping costs and more inflationary pressure on the economy.   

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, jpd80 said:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I don’t see them changing that much but we shall see.

1 September inventory

Mustang……………….6,600

Bronco………….………8,800

Bronco Sport……..15,000

E-series van…..……..9,000

EcoSport……………….6,100

Edge…………….………..9,900

Escape……..…………18,200

Expedition……..……..8,100

Explorer……….………29,500

F series………………..97,600

Maverick…………………3,200