2023 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

ice-capades

1 hour ago, Monoman said:

Disclaimer:  I have bought two vehicles from Granger.

I will take you at your word that Granger sold below cost but we all know you can't sustain a business that way so they figured something out.  It wasn't by upselling dealer addons or services.  Grange got their business by building a good reputation of selling vehicles at a low cost (during an inflated market) and providing good service.  No frills, no BS.   My local dealers, not so much.

There are some dealers who sell at cost.  They make profit off of financing and ESPs and by selling the trade-ins and on service.   Holdback is 3% so dealer invoice minus 3% is dealer cost not counting some special dealer rebates.  Even if there is a few hundred  bucks of profit you have to pay the sales staff and floor plan.

If every dealer gets their allocation and Grainger decides to sell at cost - no harm.  But if Ford gives extra allocation to special orders then Grainger gets 100 sales instead of 20 and other dealers get 20 instead of 100.  That’s the problem.  If prices were fixed for all orders it would be more evenly distributed.

• Like 1

I ordered my F250 King Ranch on 4 January 2022.   589 days (17 months & 12 days) later it arrived at the dealership outside of Austin.  It was built on 8/4, shipped on 8/7 and arrived in San Antonio on 8/15 and trucked to Austin that night.  It's an incredible truck; though the wait was frustrating the truck is definitely worth it.  Additionally, Ford provided an amazing price protection offer.  Its undergoing dealer prep who is ak=lso adding the spray in bedliner and ceramic window tint.   I'll be driving it home late Friday PM.

KR.jpg

KR 2.jpg

KR 3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TXRoadRunner said:

I ordered my F250 King Ranch on 4 January 2022.   589 days (17 months & 12 days) later it arrived at the dealership outside of Austin.  It was built on 8/4, shipped on 8/7 and arrived in San Antonio on 8/15 and trucked to Austin that night.  It's an incredible truck; though the wait was frustrating the truck is definitely worth it.  Additionally, Ford provided an amazing price protection offer.  Its undergoing dealer prep who is ak=lso adding the spray in bedliner and ceramic window tint.   I'll be driving it home late Friday PM.

KR.jpg

KR 2.jpg

KR 3.jpg

That’s awesome!  I read Ford won’t price protect the 23 hold overs so I was fortunate that a retired couple decided to stay with their 2022…. Ergo I get to buy their 2023 KR 450. I paid more than X plan for this but less than sticker as they gave me a ridiculous trade amount for the 2023 XLT 450.

they are hauling it to Cheyenne to get the bed sprayed and I will be picking it up next Friday.  

2300 mile rd trip but oh well.  The dealership has been fantastic to work with and it will be good to meet them and thank them for the painless and easy transaction.  

IMG_6129.jpeg

IMG_6128.jpeg

IMG_6127.jpeg

20 hours ago, jarrsong said:

Hope it works out for you. The F450 Superduty is in a different league than the 3500. Brakes, tires, Turning radius, rear diff. 

I had Chevy before the last 4 Ford's I purchased. Turning radius will be only thing I miss. Tech on Chevy is better than Ford. Ride is somewhat better. I was used to Ford - cameras, tech, how trailers handled, etc. I can get used to Chevy also. People always talk about the brakes. That's why I use my trailer brakes - the trailer is used more for stopping a load than the truck

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

Please Explain.

Cameras are much more clear. My 2021 f450 is very hard to see when backing up. If the sun is out, it's next to impossible. The Chevy cameras are very clear.  New Fords have a bigger screen in the 2023 but still have tons of buttons. Most of GM are integrated in the touch screen. From what I understand, the 2023 Ford cameras are still the same. GM has the massage seat. Ford took them out of platinum-after I ordered. I will also miss the 48 gallon tank - only 36 on GM. 

14 minutes ago, Melmore said:

Cameras are much more clear. My 2021 f450 is very hard to see when backing up. If the sun is out, it's next to impossible. The Chevy cameras are very clear.  New Fords have a bigger screen in the 2023 but still have tons of buttons. Most of GM are integrated in the touch screen. From what I understand, the 2023 Ford cameras are still the same. GM has the massage seat. Ford took them out of platinum-after I ordered. I will also miss the 48 gallon tank - only 36 on GM. 

My 2022 camera package on the F450 seems crystal clear and no different than my 2022 3500. I actually bought a 2022 Chevy 3500 when I thought my F450 wasn't going to be built and I HAD to have a truck for the summer. Ended up selling it for $500 more than I paid even after taxes when I finally got a build date on the F450. Power wasn't a problem with the 3500. But, I'll tell you where brakes make a difference. When you are hauling a dump trailer that's clocking in around 17K# itself plus the 9400# truck and the F450 truck drives and stops like nothing is attached to it, and that's not an exaggeration.  On the other hand the Chevy 3500, same load size which I do 15 or so loads of (gravel/wet topsoil) every summer, was a harrowing experience at time if it was a hot load. If the loads were kept in the 12K# range it was just okay. I also had to put it in 4lo when backing the trailer up in spots around the property or spreading gravel with the dump trailer. The F450 requires none of this, nonsense, just point and go. 

8 hours ago, jarrsong said:

My 2022 camera package on the F450 seems crystal clear and no different than my 2022 3500. I actually bought a 2022 Chevy 3500 when I thought my F450 wasn't going to be built and I HAD to have a truck for the summer. Ended up selling it for $500 more than I paid even after taxes when I finally got a build date on the F450. Power wasn't a problem with the 3500. But, I'll tell you where brakes make a difference. When you are hauling a dump trailer that's clocking in around 17K# itself plus the 9400# truck and the F450 truck drives and stops like nothing is attached to it, and that's not an exaggeration.  On the other hand the Chevy 3500, same load size which I do 15 or so loads of (gravel/wet topsoil) every summer, was a harrowing experience at time if it was a hot load. If the loads were kept in the 12K# range it was just okay. I also had to put it in 4lo when backing the trailer up in spots around the property or spreading gravel with the dump trailer. The F450 requires none of this, nonsense, just point and go. 

I had 2 f350s before the 450 and didn't notice any difference in the brakes. Every trailer I have has good brakes. I use engine brake on the truck and make sure trailer brakes are working and turned up. The truck is actually the last resort on the braking

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melmore said:

I had 2 f350s before the 450 and didn't notice any difference in the brakes. Every trailer I have has good brakes. I use engine brake on the truck and make sure trailer brakes are working and turned up. The truck is actually the last resort on the braking

Do you remember by chance what the tranny temp would run on your 450 when pulling?  We just got back from the PNW, and in 100+ temps across northern Nevada the Allison tranny in our 3500 High Country dually would normally be +/- 175deg pulling a 15k lb fifth wheel RV.  The highest I saw it get to was 181deg pulling a several mile long incline.

I had to punt on an F450 as well, or this summer’s trip wouldn’t have happened.

I’ve heard several guys say the Ford 10 speed runs up to and over 200deg (which may be fine).

12 hours ago, Melmore said:

I have a 22 F-450 KRU and the 360 cameras are excellent. Before delivery I read a complaint regarding the cameras, and was pleasantly surprised at the picture quality, when the truck finally arrived. 

With respect to having buttons, I'll suggest it is personal preference. My 22  F-450 has buttons, but DW's 23 PHEV Escape  has them integrated into the screen. I much prefer the good old fashioned buttons, as it is my major dislike with the Escape.

My 22 F-450 still has the massaging seats, which is a great feature for longer trips.

7 hours ago, Mags10 said:

Do you remember by chance what the tranny temp would run on your 450 when pulling?  We just got back from the PNW, and in 100+ temps across northern Nevada the Allison tranny in our 3500 High Country dually would normally be +/- 175deg pulling a 15k lb fifth wheel RV.  The highest I saw it get to was 181deg pulling a several mile long incline.

I’ve heard several guys say the Ford 10 speed runs up to and over 200deg (which may be fine).

I don't really watch the temp. My trips are all short deliveries of up to 25000 lbs so heat doesn't build. Few hills here but no mountains. 

9 hours ago, Mags10 said:

I just got back from Montana hauling a 17k lb fiver.

I used a 2023 450 and the temps actually surprised me.  Normal temps was about 200 or a bit more on coolant, oil and transmission.

I did hit 230 on oil, 218 on transmission and 220 on coolant but then the big LOUD fan kicks on and the temps drop like a rock.  There was a stretch of about 15 miles my transmission didn’t go below 212.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:43 AM, Big_Daddy said:

That’s awesome!  I read Ford won’t price protect the 23 hold overs so I was fortunate that a retired couple decided to stay with their 2022…. Ergo I get to buy their 2023 KR 450. I paid more than X plan for this but less than sticker as they gave me a ridiculous trade amount for the 2023 XLT 450.

they are hauling it to Cheyenne to get the bed sprayed and I will be picking it up next Friday.  

2300 mile rd trip but oh well.  The dealership has been fantastic to work with and it will be good to meet them and thank them for the painless and easy transaction.  

IMG_6129.jpeg

IMG_6128.jpeg

IMG_6127.jpeg

I'm curious if the multicontour seats were deleted.?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ImmortalJman said:

If you choose the Chrome Appearance package it adds that to the tail gate.

Not true. If you look at the various trim specs on the Ford site you will see that KR, Platinum, and Limited have it standard.

* Power Tailgate (incl. Tailgate Step, Tailgate Down Camera, Rear Park Aid Sensors and Chrome Tailgate appliqué)

You can get it painted or buy one that is already painted if you really really don't like it.

10 hours ago, ImmortalJman said:

If you choose the Chrome Appearance package it adds that to the tail gate.

This one is two tone so it must be standard now.  Use to have to pay 1600 and lose painted bumpers if you wanted it I thought.  I had to order mine without as I had the black/agate.  I prefer the look?

2 hours ago, Big_Daddy said:

This one is two tone so it must be standard now.  Use to have to pay 1600 and lose painted bumpers if you wanted it I thought.  I had to order mine without as I had the black/agate.  I prefer the look?

See my previous post. The Ford site clearly says the chrome tailgate applique it is standard on the KR.

If you want a painted one - https://bfntruckshop.com/shop/ols/products/xn--2023-ford-superduty-tailgate-appliqu-panel---platinum-limited--king-ranch-czg/v/XN-202-FRD-SPR-PLT

On 8/17/2023 at 7:28 PM, Mags10 said:

I was reading some engineering notes on the Ford 10 speed. It runs around 200 degrees and it's intentional. Pulling at 23-25K combo in 90 degree weather it runs between 195-218. I don't think I have ever seen 220. I will say that if I take manual control of the shifting, even while pulling heavy I can keep it under 205 at all times. The trans likes to be in higher gears than I would like it to be, even in tow haul mode. If I manually keep it between 1700-2100rpm at all times, it runs cooler. 

Edited by jarrsong

44 minutes ago, fordsixsev said:

This is probably a dumb question... But do you guys know if ford is still putting the bladders in the seats of the KR+ trims that have the massage seat removal?

I asked my dealer the same thing in the event that my platinum got built (it didn’t so now it’s a 24 order) so I would know. The salesman, sales manager, and service manager all said they didn’t think so. I wouldn’t take this to the bank because they didn’t seem at all interested in the question and didn’t seem all that confident in their answers. I know my wife’s explorer came with heated rear seats just missing the rear seat controls and within 4 months we were notified the controls were available and now everything works no problem.