2024 Super Duty Orders & Discussion

12 hours ago, jarrsong said:

Yes. You have to have the X-plan signed Dora (in your name) and proof of X-Plan eligibility. But I will tell you this, I tried ordering my 2024 F450 from a local dealer this time and they said they won't know the price of the truck until it's delivered. This is BULLSHIT and a tactic for you to not have price protection. It was Harris Ford in Lynnwood WA. We walked out and once again; I ordered 1800 miles away in Arizona because I TRUST the dealer and the process. They had me the X-Plan pricing on a DORA in 10 minutes of me sending them the order sheet with all the options I wanted. SO DON'T buy this nonsense and move on. 

jarrsong

When I bought my F150, it was dealer stock off the lot and I was able to use X-Plan. With all of the "job 2" and "priority 99, just get it in the system" for my Platinum order last year I never even thought to say "And I want to use X-Plan". I know X-Plan is voluntary by the dealer, but is there any reason they wouldn't honor it since I didn't say it up front? (I know ultimately I should ask the dealer, but I'd like to know what to expect if possible, what the right words to use are, etc.) 

9 minutes ago, Mylriahd said:

When I bought my F150, it was dealer stock off the lot and I was able to use X-Plan. With all of the "job 2" and "priority 99, just get it in the system" for my Platinum order last year I never even thought to say "And I want to use X-Plan". I know X-Plan is voluntary by the dealer, but is there any reason they wouldn't honor it since I didn't say it up front? (I know ultimately I should ask the dealer, but I'd like to know what to expect if possible, what the right words to use are, etc.) 

Entirely up to the dealer.  Most will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mylriahd said:

As akirby replied, it's up to the dealer as they're not required to accept X Plan transactions. 

2 hours ago, Mylriahd said:

Remember if you didn't put a huge nonrefundable deposit on it, you have leverage. 

38 minutes ago, jarrsong said:

image.thumb.png.a684524f1c8b632b8e4cf30d73131ec3.png

This thing is actually going to be built. 

Congratulations!  Is this a  KR or Limited?  Not sure if the truck is an actual representation of what you ordered?  Did you order a 23, it did not get built, and so had to order a 24, or is this just a fresh new order?

2 hours ago, jarrsong said:

Remember if you didn't put a huge nonrefundable deposit on it, you have leverage. 

Are we talking the "try to bluff and pretend I'd walk away after waiting a year" kind of leverage? :)  I'm not sure what else I have, other than refusing to trade in my F150 which I assume they'll try to use to make up for loss from x-plan. 

33 minutes ago, Mylriahd said:

Are we talking the "try to bluff and pretend I'd walk away after waiting a year" kind of leverage? :)  I'm not sure what else I have, other than refusing to trade in my F150 which I assume they'll try to use to make up for loss from x-plan. 

When I finally became the master negotiator, is when I realized I say exactly what I want and will no longer bluff.  I have NO emotional attachment to vehicles anymore and THAT is the secret sauce. So the discussion goes like this to the dealer, "I forgot to mention that I have X-plan so we need to apply that to the vehicle when it comes in". 95% chance they say, oh, okay. You don't mention walking away at all in this first discussion. You're not nervous in the discussion, you are PLEASANT, matter of fact and direct. As if it's a no brainer, which really it is unless your dealing with a dumb dumb. X-Plan cost the dealer themselves nothing, other than capping fee's, which dealers can use to SCREW YOU. 

So let's say that they say, oh sorry we can't do that. Simply say, again nicely, non emotional, non threatening, dang it, I can't buy the truck then, I appreciate your time... 100% you will get a wait a minute here buddy, let's talk about this. How about we meet in the middle, and we'll give you 1k under MSRP or some other goofy offer, like free nitrogen or something they were going to dick you on later... Say no thanks. I was just at a dealer down the street/next city and they have the F150 in stock and will do X-plan, no strings attached. They will either say okay or beat it. If they say beat it, tell them have a nice day and go buy a truck somewhere else. There are LOTS of F150 now. 

Edited by jarrsong

7 minutes ago, jarrsong said:

When I finally became the master negotiator, is when I realized I say exactly what I want and will no longer bluff.  I have NO emotional attachment to vehicles anymore and THAT is the secret sauce. So the discussion goes like this to the dealer, "I forgot to mention that I have X-plan so we need to apply that to the vehicle when it comes in". 95% chance they say, oh, okay. You don't mention walking away at all in this first discussion. You're not nervous in the discussion, you are PLEASANT, matter of fact and direct. As if it's a no brainer, which really it is unless your dealing with a dumb dumb. X-Plan cost the dealer themselves nothing, other than capping fee's, which dealers can use to SCREW YOU. 

So let's say that they say, oh sorry we can't do that. Simply say, again nicely, non emotional, non threatening, dang it, I can't buy the truck then, I appreciate your time... 100% you will get a wait a minute here buddy, let's talk about this. How about we meet in the middle, and we'll give you 1k under MSRP or some other goofy offer, like free nitrogen or something they were going to dick you on later... Say no thanks. I was just at a dealer down the street/next city and they have the F150 in stock and will do X-plan, no strings attached. They will either say okay or beat it. If they say beat it, tell them have a nice day and go buy a truck somewhere else. There are LOTS of F150 now. 

I am absolutely not a master negotiator but since leaving the impetuous 20's I am able to walk away. Walking away this time though means putting plans on hold for another year +, and life is too short. (Note I'm ordering an F350 and trading in my F150.) They would have a apparently rare platinum superduty that they'll throw 10 - 15k markup over sticker on and get it almost immediately if I walk away so I am doubtful they are going to stop me and convince me they can meet me in the middle. I would win the battle but lose the war, all for walking away from sticker price. I absolutely realize this is a terrible point of view to enter negotiations with, but that doesn't make it any less true.

2 hours ago, bcurrie100 said:

Congratulations!  Is this a  KR or Limited?  Not sure if the truck is an actual representation of what you ordered?  Did you order a 23, it did not get built, and so had to order a 24, or is this just a fresh new order?

No, just a straight up X-Plan 2024 F450 Lariat. Dealer matters I guess. 

I’ll be closely watching this “AsBuilt” data to determine when it is actually “Alive”. 
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/SetCountry?returnUrl=%2FAsBuilt

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mylriahd said:

I am absolutely not a master negotiator but since leaving the impetuous 20's I am able to walk away. Walking away this time though means putting plans on hold for another year +, and life is too short. (Note I'm ordering an F350 and trading in my F150.) They would have a apparently rare platinum superduty that they'll throw 10 - 15k markup over sticker on and get it almost immediately if I walk away so I am doubtful they are going to stop me and convince me they can meet me in the middle. I would win the battle but lose the war, all for walking away from sticker price. I absolutely realize this is a terrible point of view to enter negotiations with, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Life’s to short? I guess if you’re in your 60’s/70’s true. Anything less than that, what’s another year? I get it though, you want what you want. If you’re financing, well that’s another year to save money, if you’re paying cash, well then who cares as you clearly have resources. Everyone’s in a different spot. I had a friend for years, an old boy in his 60’s that bought a new F350, fully loaded and dolled out with every doo dad, every model year. Did it for over a decade or more. He has sinced passed but boy was he livin… 

I used to laugh with him and tell him he had more money than brains… He’d always say, you’re right. 

Edited by jarrsong
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jarrsong said:

Life’s to short? I guess if you’re in your 60’s/70’s true. Anything less than that, what’s another year? I get it though, you want what you want. If you’re financing, well that’s another year to save money, if you’re paying cash, well then who cares as you clearly have resources. Everyone’s in a different spot. I had a friend for years, an old boy in his 60’s that bought a new F350, fully loaded and dolled out with every doo dad, every model year. Did it for over a decade or more. He has sinced passed but boy was he livin… 

I used to laugh with him and tell him he had more money than brains… He’d always say, you’re right. 

Hah! I'm in the more money than brains category, and I definitely don't have "new model every year" money. ;) It's a fun topic though; I'm in my 40s and the rush is the amount of time I have left to go out on adventures with my kids. A medical scare is all it takes to tell you not to wait to your 60's or 70's for living. The truck itself is just a tool, but it's the right tool for the plans I have. 

I never understood why some dealers won't use X-plan especially on a factory order. For their part, they only have to submit the order. Then do a little paperwork to complete the sale. Its not like they are buying the truck from Ford, storing it on their lot so a salesman can tell you how great you would look driving this new truck. Basically a few hours work and they still make money and get credit from Ford for a sale.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lcseds said:

Negotiating is an art that doesn't work really in the current environment. For these trucks, the dealers don't give a crap if you walk away. There is a line behind you. Dealer has the advantage.

You know what doesn’t ever work? Rolling over and doing nothing. The market is RAPIDLY changing right now and a year from now there will be trucks to be had. Credit is tightening, prices are raising, high rates…  

18 hours ago, Mylriahd said:

Hah! I'm in the more money than brains category, and I definitely don't have "new model every year" money. ;) It's a fun topic though; I'm in my 40s and the rush is the amount of time I have left to go out on adventures with my kids. A medical scare is all it takes to tell you not to wait to your 60's or 70's for living. The truck itself is just a tool, but it's the right tool for the plans I have. 

Yep, I’m in my mid 50’s. I get it. Retirement is a carefully calculated balance. You have the three levels. Level 1 - Go Go, Level 2 - Slow Go, and level 3 - No go.  It’s hard to predict the balance of when to do what. You play too much early on, it’s gonna be harder later to fund your life, wait to long, well NO GO smacks you in the head. In my case I lived like a popper for decades after I realized what debt does to you early on. Now I get to do what I want, when I want it, within reason. 

Edited by jarrsong

1 hour ago, billn59 said:

I never understood why some dealers won't use X-plan especially on a factory order. For their part, they only have to submit the order. Then do a little paperwork to complete the sale. Its not like they are buying the truck from Ford, storing it on their lot so a salesman can tell you how great you would look driving this new truck. Basically a few hours work and they still make money and get credit from Ford for a sale.

Pre-pandemic and under what were the usual market conditions, sales representatives were trained to sell from stock to realize short-term, immediate sales and commissions. X Plan or not, they didn't want to deal with retail factory orders. I looked at it differently as retail factory orders were like money in the bank. The customer would get the vehicle they wanted, built to their specifications with price protection, and the Dealer had no floorplan expenses as the vehicle would be delivered immediately upon arrival at the dealership. And I'd often see that those retail orders made a difference at times in meeting or exceeding the Ford sales objectives for the dealership. 

Ford's "Plan" sales (A/X/Z/D) have always been voluntary regarding dealership participation, but the dealership gets paid a good commission on the transaction and the customer gets a great price plus any available incentives. The "Plan" sales also contribute to both Ford and dealership customer loyalty.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billn59 said:

Some don’t want to limit their doc fee.  And that sale does take away one unit of stock allocation that they might be able to sell for more profit.  I think others are just lazy and don’t want to do the paperwork.  

I finally got scheduled for production.  Started with my order in October of 2022.  It was never built.  The new order for 2024 was placed on 7/19/23.  Today, the email states the scheduled production date is the week of 11/20/23.  Hopefully it sticks, but of course this is likely a moving target.  Oh, and my priority code was at a 10.  I had another post recently about my dealer changing it from a 3 back to a 10 based on what his zone manager told him to do.  I have zero idea why that would make anything better.  But, it's scheduled and has a VIN regardless.  My build detail is as follows....

F350 Platinum

6.7L (regular)

FX4

Heavy-Service Front Suspension

5th Wheel Prep

LED Roof Clearance Lights

Max Recline Seats

8' Box

Glacier Gray Tricoat

Black Onyx/Carmelo interior

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, jarrsong said:

Agree.

I’m going to be 65 in January. The saying “life it too short” is the worst possible excuse to override common fiscal sense. 
I write checks, no financing. I’ve never paid over invoice and never will, and I plan on buying many more vehicles over many more years.
No chance I pay more than X, and no problem kindly and respectfully walking away. 

I have a 24’ Limited scheduled to be built in two weeks at x plan, which is more than I’ve ever paid for a new truck. 2K below for my 2020.

A couple weeks ago, I was offered 69,500 for my 2020 limited, no winters with 19K. Which may be where the auction money is right now. They did say the weekly auction number was down, and I’m sure they will move up  later this fall. I’ll want in the neighborhood of 75K.

It about the vehicle market which I respect, but will not contribute to. I will certainly wait another year without issue if we can’t come to a fair market wholesale agreement, which I’m giving a very good chance. If not, I’ll enjoy my current truck.

MSRP,  forget it.
Over MSRP? A horrible decision

Edited by George C
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 4:07 PM, ddb said:

I finally got scheduled for production.  Started with my order in October of 2022.  It was never built.  The new order for 2024 was placed on 7/19/23.  Today, the email states the scheduled production date is the week of 11/20/23.  Hopefully it sticks, but of course this is likely a moving target.  Oh, and my priority code was at a 10.  I had another post recently about my dealer changing it from a 3 back to a 10 based on what his zone manager told him to do.  I have zero idea why that would make anything better.  But, it's scheduled and has a VIN regardless.  My build detail is as follows....

F350 Platinum

6.7L (regular)

FX4

Heavy-Service Front Suspension

5th Wheel Prep

LED Roof Clearance Lights

Max Recline Seats

8' Box

Glacier Gray Tricoat

Black Onyx/Carmelo interior

It will move. I was originally scheduled 10/16.  Went to 10/23 and now 11/20. I read they are currently having a parts shortage. 

F250 platinum crew 7.3