2024 F-150 Lightning Flash (it's not what you think)

2024 Ford Lightning Flash adds more content for a reasonable price - Autoblog

We knew the

Ford Lightning Flash was coming, but ... well, it's not quite what we were hoping for. Still, even if it isn't the high-output, tire-smoking beast of an electric pickup truck we thought might be coming, it looks to be a solid package that combines enticing features for a reasonable price. Basically, for around $70,000, Ford has packaged several popular options in a new Flash trim level that sits between the XLT and Lariat models.

Included in the Flash package are the extended battery that boosts range to 320 miles (EPA estimated, your mileage will vary, etc), Blue Cruise 1.2 (which requires a subscription to operate after a complimentary 90-day trial period), and the larger 15.5-inch center screen instead of the XLT's smaller 12-inch unit. Ford is marketing the Lightning Flash as a tech-forward package, and along with the big touchscreen, it also throws in an upgraded B&O audio system with eight speakers and a subwoofer, keyless entry with push-button start and a wireless phone charging pad.

The Tow Technology package is included, bringing with it Pro Trailer Backup Assist, Trailer Brake Controller, Smart Hitch, On-Board Scales, Smart Trailer Tow Connection and Trailer Reverse Guidance. We like Ford's towing tech so much that it won our 2022 Technology of the Year award. Completing the package are a power tailgate (with a step and work surface) and a heat pump that improves overall vehicle efficiency.

2024 Ford Lightning Flash-01

2024 Ford Lightning Flash-04

Preproduction screens shown. Actual screens may vary.

2024 Ford Lightning Flash-03

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

For MY2023, the Lightning Lariat was $70k. Now, for MY2024, you get the lower trim Flash (which by the way is a stupid name) for the same price, except the flash doesn’t have everything the lariat does. Who wants to pay more and get less?

Lariat also gets bumped up $7.5k for MY2024 which is quite a large jump.

MY 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat is $70k for the standard range version, $77.5k for the extended range version. MY 2023 F-150 Lightning XLT is $55k for standard range version, $70k for extended range version.

As such, MY 2024 pricing is stable in comparison to MY 2023 for F-150 Lightning.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

MY 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat is $70k for the standard range version, $77.5k for the extended range version. MY 2023 F-150 Lightning XLT is $55k for standard range version, $70k for extended range version.

As such, MY 2024 pricing is stable in comparison to MY 2023 for F-150 Lightning.

You are right, I misread another article. So now the flash costs the same as the 2023 extended range xlt, but has more features. So what does that mean for the extended range xlt? Maybe it’s a goner? Can’t see the need for both.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

So now the flash costs the same as the 2023 extended range xlt, but has more features. So what does that mean for the extended range xlt? Maybe it’s a goner? Can’t see the need for both.

Good points T-dubz, that makes sense. Once ice-capades is able to post the 2024 F-150 Lightning order guides to this site, we'll know for sure.

11 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Good points T-dubz, that makes sense. Once ice-capades is able to post the 2024 F-150 Lightning order guides to this site, we'll know for sure.

FYI... I no longer have direct access to Ford or Lincoln order guides or the FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) that provide production timetables and other related information.  As such, I now rely on receiving them from several sources so that I can share them via the Dealer Order Guides section or the Production Information sections. I can only politely request copies so that I can distribute the information here on the BOF site.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

FYI... I no longer have direct access to Ford or Lincoln order guides or the FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) that provide production timetables and other related information.  As such, I now rely on receiving them from several sources so that I can share them via the Dealer Order Guides section or the Production Information sections. I can only politely request copies so that I can distribute the information here on the BOF site.  

Thank you ice-capades for being so gracious in sharing these guides from your sources with Blue Oval Forums members. We all appreciate it!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you ice-capades for being so gracious in sharing these guides from your sources with Blue Oval Forums members. We all appreciate it!

Ford Dealers have to update access authorization on an annual basis which is subject to audit by Ford. My former General Manager was concerned with my continued access to the information, because I'm no longer on the regular payroll, and it causing a problem with Ford. 

The audit threat is another example of Ford not trusting its Dealers and using the audit threat as an intimidation method to ensure compliance.  

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, T-dubz said:

So what does that mean for the extended range xlt? Maybe it’s a goner? Can’t see the need for both.

Hi T-dubz, Motor Trend was apparently thinking the same thing when it wrote an article today about F-150 Lightning Flash, and contacted Ford for an answer to that question. No official response from Ford yet. 2024 Ford F-150 Lightning Flash First Look: More Truck, Less Cash (motortrend.com)

That does leave us wondering just what will happen to the XLT Extended Range truck. Will it become even cheaper or does that trim disappear altogether? We reached out to Ford to try and find out, but they couldn't reach us before publication. If they do get back to us, we'll update you

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:34 AM, rperez817 said:

But it is clever marketing, and has the potential to make an already excellent product even more appealing.

It could also be Ford testing out to see how people respond to the flash naming convention, as that's what T3 is rumored to be called, that or thunder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

It could also be Ford testing out to see how people respond to the flash naming convention, as that's what T3 is rumored to be called, that or thunder. 

And every time Ford adds another trim or model designation, they make it more difficult for Dealers to decide what vehicles to stock. 

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

And every time Ford adds another trim or model designation, they make it more difficult for Dealers to decide what vehicles to stock. 

I mean, it seems as though this is essentially a tweaked XLT extended range by a different name. So brands could decide how many to order based off how popular that existing trim level has been for them. 

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

This shouldn't be a trim line.  It should be a name of an option package - call it "flash" instead of "Tech".

Until we see the order guide for the Lighting Flash, I have a feeling this is going to be a limited trim with next to no options to keep things easier to build and hopefully keep quality up. 

Adding a option package just adds more build variations and I'm guessing this trim is an attempt to keep it as simple as possible 

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

This shouldn't be a trim line.  It should be a name of an option package - call it "flash" instead of "Tech".

Agreed. I personally don’t like them using it has a trim line.  I’m a traditionalist, and prefer they stick to the current trim lines and treat things such as this as option packages as you have stated. I think it’s confusing for the consumer.  

On 10/3/2023 at 11:12 PM, rperez817 said:

On 10/3/2023 at 7:10 PM, T-dubz said:

So what does that mean for the extended range xlt? Maybe it’s a goner? Can’t see the need for both.

ice-capades kindly posted the 2024 F-150 Lightning order guide to the "Dealer Order Guides" section of the site. The guide confirms that Extended Range XLT is no longer available for 2024 MY. Standard Range Lariat has been dropped as well.

The hierarchy for 2024 is as follows.

• Pro Standard Range
  • Pro Standard Range with LFP Battery (late availability)
  • XLT Standard Range
  • XLT Standard Range with LFP Battery (late availability)
  • Flash Extended Range
  • Lariat Extended Range
  • Platinum Extended Range
  • Platinum Black Package Extended Range

2024 F-150 Lightning Order Guide.pdf

Order guide is posted but suffix needs to be changed to pdf.  

It says PRO and XLT models will be getting an optional LFP battery (late availability).  For now only the std range is available.

Extended range battery is standard on Lariat and higher.

So XLT loses the extended range battery and Lariat loses the std range battery.  

• Like 1