GM Q4/2023 Sales Results

rmc523

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

Holy crap -  40 different models (combining MD and HD Silvererras)?  

So what? I'm counting 19 different models between Ford & Lincoln, roughly the same as the 40 spread across 4 different nameplates by GM.

HRG

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

So what? I'm counting 19 different models between Ford & Lincoln, roughly the same as the 40 spread across 4 different nameplates by GM.

HRG

40 is not the same as 20.  It took 40 different models to sell 2.6M whereas Ford sold 2M with half as many models.  Even if models are just rebadges there is added overhead costs.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

40 is not the same as 20.  It took 40 different models to sell 2.6M whereas Ford sold 2M with half as many models.  Even if models are just rebadges there is added overhead costs.

Well heck, using that kind of logic you could eliminate the entire Lincoln brand, and lose less than 82K units, minus those that would buy the Ford version.

HRG

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Well heck, using that kind of logic you could eliminate the entire Lincoln brand, and lose less than 82K units, minus those that would buy the Ford version.

HRG

We've discussed that possibility too.  Lincoln is basically around just to have a Flagship model lineup.  I'm mean really, what's the difference between a Navigator and a Expi Platinum?

It's just prestige at this point.

44 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

You know it’s not that simple. But it’s clear that doubling the models isn’t doubling sales.  And one could argue there is significant overlap between Chevy, Buick and GMC that Ford doesn’t have.  I think the biggest reason they have 4 brands is because of the dealer network.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 92merc said:

We've discussed that possibility too.  Lincoln is basically around just to have a Flagship model lineup.  I'm mean really, what's the difference between a Navigator and a Expi Platinum?

It's just prestige at this point.

I disagree.  There is a big difference in interior materials and features now in addition to longer warranty and service perks.  Even the paint is different now.  That all changed within the last 5-10 years.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 2:55 PM, akirby said:

I disagree.  There is a big difference in interior materials and features now in addition to longer warranty and service perks.  Even the paint is different now.  That all changed within the last 5-10 years.

I’ve been in both, and there is a noticeable difference to me between a navigator and a platinum expedition.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Likewise with an Escape and Corsair.

Agreed.  We bought a new Corsair in October and really like it.   There is a noticeable difference between the Escape and the Corsair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Night and day

My wife loves everything about the Corsair.  She wouldn’t even look at the Escape.  Most people would never guess they were on the same platform.  Ford does a really good job of differentiating the Lincolns from the Fords now. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

Is it imported from China or South Korea?  Low prices on a decent vehicle equals high volume.

South Korea.  Along with the Buicks, save the Enclave.

Edited by 92merc

On 1/9/2024 at 11:17 AM, CurtisH said:

My wife loves everything about the Corsair.  She wouldn’t even look at the Escape.  Most people would never guess they were on the same platform.  Ford does a really good job of differentiating the Lincolns from the Fords now. 

They've come a very long way indeed. Lincoln has finally found it's stride, a reason to exist for the first time in decades. Let's hope they keep this up with their EVs. It would be smart to position Lincolns EVs as refined, opulent vehicles, Ford's riding on the same platform could take the sportier, more performance oriented approach with more aggressive designs. That's how I'd do it at least. 

• Like 1