GM Reportedly to drop "Ultra Cruise"

rmc523

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/gm-revving-back-cadillac-maker-reportedly-scraps-ultra-cruise-to-double-down-on-older-driver-assistance-system/ar-AA1n3lH3?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=c3f1dfae121c4c2eb280d2dd2b941ce2&ei=22

General Motors Co (NYSE:GM) is reportedly discontinuing its Ultra Cruise system, a successor to its Super Cruise system, to refocus on the older generation of its driver assistance system.

What Happened: GM has plans to put a stop to its Ultra Cruise program, CNBC reported, citing two sources familiar with the matter.

The automaker will now refocus its efforts on the further development of Super Cruise instead of having two driver assistance systems, the report added.

Ultra Cruise was initially slated for a 2023 launch.

43 minutes ago, akirby said:

I wonder what rperez817 would say about that?  

Glad we don’t have to hear it, but curious nonetheless.

"Tesla does is soooo much better.  No one will ever beat Tesla at their game."

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Dequindre said:

It is notable how much autonomous vehicle technology R&D has seemingly receded in recent years. I guess the risk just isn't worth the potential benefits in most situations. 

The answer is exactly what us IT guys have been saying from the start.  There are too many real world situations that programming and sensors can’t handle.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2024 at 12:39 PM, akirby said:

GM is doomed and we're all idiots for not wanting them to sink billions of additional dollars into something with little demand. Something along those lines at least.  I get the guy was passionate, and there's nothing wrong with that on the surface. But the fact that he insisted EVs and driverless tech is what everyone wanted kinda got annoying after a time. 

Everyone has their biases, it's important to look past them, he seemed incapable of doing that. I enjoy discussing various topics with people, but he seemed incapable of ever admitting he was wrong.

Edited by DeluxeStang

9 hours ago, akirby said:

The answer is exactly what us IT guys have been saying from the start.  There are too many real world situations that programming and sensors can’t handle.

How many times has IT been oversold over the past 40 years or so? Just look at AI now or the Internet roughly 20-25 years ago. Or the latest and greatest that just has a minor speed bump to it. 

I think driverless cars are technically possible, but economically unfeasible because of the TRILLIONS of dollars that would be needed to upgrade every single road to a smart road that would be able to transmit the necessary data to make them safe to operate in all conditions..and every single roadworks dept in the world works glacially slowly to boot. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

How many times has IT been oversold over the past 40 years or so? Just look at AI now or the Internet roughly 20-25 years ago. Or the latest and greatest that just has a minor speed bump to it. 

I think driverless cars are technically possible, but economically unfeasible because of the TRILLIONS of dollars that would be needed to upgrade every single road to a smart road that would be able to transmit the necessary data to make them safe to operate in all conditions..and every single roadworks dept in the world works glacially slowly to boot. 

It’s the classic border case issue.  It’s relatively easy to get things working in sunny day scenarios where the roads and signs and signals are clearly marked and match gps maps.  The hard part is dealing with exceptions and border cases.  Road markings not visible.  Cameras obscured.  Construction.  Detours.  Accidents.  Road closures.  Cops directing traffic.  In a controlled environment you can avoid those and worst case if something unexpected happens you just shut it down and call for human assistance.  You can’t do that on the interstate when the road is blocked and the cops are telling drivers to drive the wrong way back to an exit.  

Hack developers and newbies never worry about the border cases and error recovery.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s the classic border case issue.  It’s relatively easy to get things working in sunny day scenarios where the roads and signs and signals are clearly marked and match gps maps.  The hard part is dealing with exceptions and border cases.  Road markings not visible.  Cameras obscured.  Construction.  Detours.  Accidents.  Road closures.  Cops directing traffic.  In a controlled environment you can avoid those and worst case if something unexpected happens you just shut it down and call for human assistance.  You can’t do that on the interstate when the road is blocked and the cops are telling drivers to drive the wrong way back to an exit.  

Hack developers and newbies never worry about the border cases and error recovery.

Worked for IBM 31.5 years as an operating systems programmer and you are spot on. In my experience error/crash recovery was the most difficult part while at the same time maintaining acceptable performance.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Worked for IBM 31.5 years as an operating systems programmer and you are spot on. In my experience error/crash recovery was the most difficult part while at the same time maintaining acceptable performance.

I used to laugh at the newbies that said their programs were finished after 2 days.  No comments.  No default rules for case statements.  No input validation.  No checking return codes.  No generating return codes.  No error messages.  No resource cleanup.  

A week later he’s still working on it.  Welcome to the real world.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I used to laugh at the newbies that said their programs were finished after 2 days.  No comments.  No default rules for case statements.  No input validation.  No checking return codes.  No generating return codes.  No error messages.  No resource cleanup.  

A week later he’s still working on it.  Welcome to the real world.

Wait, what?  What's all that stuff you are referring to?

On 1/16/2024 at 2:39 PM, akirby said:

The same thing he said about Ford when it decided to close down Argo AI, when he lamented the mistake, noting that GM was still totally committed to the autonomous driving revolution. Except, I guess, replace GM reference with Tesla.

• Like 1