Ford recalling 456,565 US vehicles over loss of drive power, NHTSA says

Yeah I expressed some concerns over this on the maverick forums, going so far as to ask if I should give up on my maverick completely. My maverick has been perfectly reliable over the course of 18 months, but I opened up about how seeing all of recalls, and horror stories on maverick forums has shaken my confidence a little bit. I went into the maverick expecting it to be reliable, and mine has been. But it's hard not to wonder if these issues will happen to you next at times. 

Thankfully a lot of the folks on that site helped to talk me down a bit and help to see things in perspective. I genuinely hope Ford is able to perfect the maverick through these recalls, and make it into a very reliable vehicle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oac98 said:

I really can’t wait for the day when ford isn’t the recall leader and quality really improves.

Same here it's disheartening to see Ford always at the top with recalls.  I know I am going to sound like a broken record but it's also disheartening to see so many issues with their engines like the 3.5/3.7 and 2.0 in the groups and other forums I am in.  I know you typically hear more issues than praise in those groups but it's pretty constant with the engine issues.

• Like 1

It is disheartening, Farley is saying all the right things but I see minimal improvements. What is going on with the engineering and suppliers as to why they can’t seem to mitigate this recall issue. Aren’t all those engines eco boost?? I know there have been issues with eco boost engines.

3 minutes ago, Oac98 said:

It is disheartening, Farley is saying all the right things but I see minimal improvements. What is going on with the engineering and suppliers as to why they can’t seem to mitigate this recall issue. Aren’t all those engines eco boost?? I know there have been issues with eco boost engines.

The 3.5 regular and 3.5 EcoBoost and 3.7 in FWD form only have internal water pumps if they fail and you don't catch it in time you need a new engine.  If you do catch it in time its a partial engine disassembly to get it done.  It's not a cheap fix at all.  The 2.0T had coolant intrusion issues I am not sure if that has been fixed yet or not but apparently in 2015 or 2016 they changed the design and if you get coolant intrusion you need a new engine no ifs ands or buts.  Ask my friend who had a 2018 MKZ.  69k miles and his car needs a new engine, Ford/Lincoln were not willing to help out at all he was 1 month past warranty but still under the miles.

All of this stuff has shaken my faith in Ford.  They are still my preferred brand but I have to really think carefully if I do buy another car.  Thankfully that won't be anytime soon, I am very happy with my current fleet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

The 3.5 regular and 3.5 EcoBoost and 3.7 in FWD form only have internal water pumps if they fail and you don't catch it in time you need a new engine.  If you do catch it in time its a partial engine disassembly to get it done.  It's not a cheap fix at all.  The 2.0T had coolant intrusion issues I am not sure if that has been fixed yet or not but apparently in 2015 or 2016 they changed the design and if you get coolant intrusion you need a new engine no ifs ands or buts.  Ask my friend who had a 2018 MKZ.  69k miles and his car needs a new engine, Ford/Lincoln were not willing to help out at all he was 1 month past warranty but still under the miles.

All of this stuff has shaken my faith in Ford.  They are still my preferred brand but I have to really think carefully if I do buy another car.  Thankfully that won't be anytime soon, I am very happy with my current fleet.

I feel the same way, Ford is my first choice as I work for this corporation but my loyalty is waning abit.  I have an old Ford and I plan on driving it as long as I can 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Oac98 said:

I feel the same way, Ford is my first choice as I work for this corporation but my loyalty is waning abit.  I have an old Ford and I plan on driving it as long as I can 

I’ve just about reached the point where my a-plan will never be used for myself again. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Andrew L said:

The 2.0T had coolant intrusion issues I am not sure if that has been fixed yet or not but apparently in 2015 or 2016 they changed the design and if you get coolant intrusion you need a new engine no ifs ands or buts. 

That was corrected by 2019 model year I believe.

BTW, I sold my 2013 Escape with 2.0EB last summer.  80k miles.  No coolant issues...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 92merc said:

That was corrected by 2019 model year I believe.

BTW, I sold my 2013 Escape with 2.0EB last summer.  80k miles.  No coolant issues...

AFAIK 2013-2015 didn't have this issue. 

Coolant intrusion was more prevalent on 2016-18 1.5L EB fours used in the Escape. I was on an Escape forum before and during my 2018 ownership, and there were few reports of problems with the 2.0 in that car. There was a modification done to the block deck between #2 & 3 cylinders. It seemed to affect the Cleveland blocks more that than the Valencia blocks ;  My 2018 had a Changan sticker on the block! I had no problems with mine, but I sold it to Caravan and ordered my 2021 Ranger, which I've had a seatbelt & headrest (supercabs only) recall and a trans. TSB for rough shifting done and so far satisfied.

I am hoping that the glacially slow rollout of the 2024 Ranger is to ensure that the trucks are as defect free as can be accomplished coming off the line.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Why is Farley still receiving a bonus for being such a terrible manager?

The board should be cutting his and all the Senior VPs’ bonuses until KPIs are met.

His bonus declined in 2023.  From the Detroit News:  “Bill’s (Ford) and Jim’s salaries were flat with 2022 and their bonuses were down — and well below target levels — based on the overall performance of our business," spokesperson T.R. Reid said. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2024/03/29/ford-ceo-jim-farley-bill-ford-2023-compensation/73142609007/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

His bonus declined in 2023.  From the Detroit News:  “Bill’s (Ford) and Jim’s salaries were flat with 2022 and their bonuses were down — and well below target levels — based on the overall performance of our business," spokesperson T.R. Reid said. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2024/03/29/ford-ceo-jim-farley-bill-ford-2023-compensation/73142609007/

They also made quality the biggest kpi for bonuses for all mgt employees,

• Like 2