4 Door Mustang

Blue II

I have one thing to say about this plan: BMW 3-Series

The BMW 3-Series is offered as a sedan, coupe, convertible, and wagon, each with a distinct purpose, but still carrying that classic BMW vision of ride/handling balance and high feature content.

This would be a drastic change for the Mustang, but it could very well work. Quality needs to be brought up to Fusion standards, and the sedan and wagon need to be more of a 4-door coupe than a true sedan. The LWB version needs to be lean and handle well, and not become a fat pig of a car. Using the Mustang name is a huge gamble, though.

If it were up to me, the global RWD platform would underpin a whole host of cars in NA, and not just a series of Mustangs. The short wheelbase would carry the Mustang. The long wheelbase would carry a Torino sedan and wagon and a Thunderbird coupe.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The response is loud and getting louder, and I took the liberty of quoting H.T.T. on why he might just do something like this.

???

This idea of prostituting Mustang is serious if true Ford, and this may just be the Rubicon for your comeback. Damage control is now in play, and anything less than clarity in a denial of this is dangerous.

Are you another who forgot the lessons of the Mustang II and the probe FWD Mustang? Please tell me that it was a temporary memory glitch, as those took alot of time and money to repair and both of which still leave a bad taste in the mouth. Ford has neither time nor money right now and for the forseeable future and this is the sort of stupidity that leads to the mess they are in.

WTF???

WTF does the Probe or the Mustang 2 have to do with us getting the new Falcon platform? I think some people jst look for something to be outraged about..

Of course that could also be the Lincoln RWD concept we've heard of.

Or more likely yet another stunning concept from Ford, Lincoln, or even Mercury that won't see the light of day in a dealer's showroom.

Let's just imagine for a moment how much better the Five Hundred would be selling if it was modeled after the 427.

Also imagine how much better the Freestyle would be selling if it was modeled after the Meta One.

Simply amazing some of the no-brainers Ford has passed on in recent years. I really won't get too excited until I hear about one of these stunning concepts actually being greenlighted for production.

Do not destroy the Mustang name with a four door or wagon variation. Mustang is one of only two American icons, Corvette being the other, that every one knows exactly what they are. Do not underestimate the enthusiasts and water down their icon just as the Camaro is getting ready to launch. As a Ford enthusiast and 2007 Mustang GT owner I hope they never do this.

I think Autoweek needs to get their facts straight before they send people into a wild frenzy.

Just think people, how often are the magazines correct? Never..

There's been rumors that we'd get a RWD sedan off the new Aussie Falcon forever, it's just that now, because the Mustang 5 years from now will use that chassis Autoweek thinks it's going to be a 4 door Mustang, what we're actually getting is a 2 door Falcon instead, made to look like a Mustang, and the Falcon with perhaps different styling and maybe a different name.. That's all..

I think Autoweek needs to get their facts straight before they send people into a wild frenzy.

Just think people, how often are the magazines correct? Never..

There's been rumors that we'd get a RWD sedan off the new Aussie Falcon forever, it's just that now, because the Mustang 5 years from now will use that chassis Autoweek thinks it's going to be a 4 door Mustang, what we're actually getting is a 2 door Falcon instead, made to look like a Mustang, and the Falcon with perhaps different styling and maybe a different name.. That's all..

I trust that you are in the "know" and I hope Ford has the common sense you just demonstrated.

Not for one minute do I think the Mustang heritage name will be affixed to a 4-Door or a Station wagon. So many other great names Torino, Galaxie - you guys know them better than i do! Maybe we need a couple of Birds of Prey(Falcon, Thunderbird) to help out a pony car?

Makes you think the article was perfectly designed to stir up a hornets nest.

How about "Zebra", a pony of a different stripe?

And you could confuse everyone and call the Lincoln version the MKZ...

Ford's obviously had this project (and probably many more) in progress for months, probably, being Ford, years. It's on a course. Whether they'll hit where they're aiming, who knows.

Until me, you, any of us become multi-billionaires and buy into Ford, not too much we can really do except pound our tiny little fists on the keyboard and scream electrons into the ether. Twist and turn and pound all you want, you're not going to change anything, and you won't learn anything until Ford wants you to know it.

How long was that Mustang concept in development? Who knew about it, and told, until just before it was loaded on a ship to go to LA's show?

sturm und drang

In a secret product planning meeting last fall, key Ford executives discussed a bold strategy to take the legendary Mustang mainstream. Ideas include both sedan and wagon variants of America’s original muscle car,

Could have sworn the Mustang was already mainstream.

Mainstream is, generally, the common current of thought of the majority. It is a term most often applied in the arts (i.e., music, literature, and performance). This includes:

something that is ordinary or usual;

something that is familiar to the masses;

something that is available to the general public.

I thought the GTO was America's original muscle car while the Mustang was the original pony car

Are you another who forgot the lessons of the Mustang II and the probe FWD Mustang? Please tell me that it was a temporary memory glitch, as those took alot of time and money to repair and both of which still leave a bad taste in the mouth. Ford has neither time nor money right now and for the forseeable future and this is the sort of stupidity that leads to the mess they are in.

We aren't talking about a Mustang Pinto. We are talking about world class cars that happen to use the Mustang name.

We aren't talking about a Mustang Pinto. We are talking about world class cars that happen to use the Mustang name.

Which part is world class? The about to be updated and not really wanted in Australia Orion chassis(word is its going on 50, and traces its linneage straight back to the original 62 Falcon), or the solid rear axle/strut 57/43 ft/rr Mustang chassis?

There is nothing world class about either. :slap:

There has never been a world class Mustang. That is why it is a Mustang. Cheap, pony style, V8 rear drive, cheap. That is the formula, the brand the essence, the DNA of mustang. :banghead:

Unless you consider the FR500C. But it sort of misses the cheap part.

However, the Orion will make a decent sedan, but it seems at this late date that a native RWD chassis that solves/fills a whole bunch of the product holes might be a better idea.

How bout this.........

The All New 2008

Ford Jackass!!

Well, how bout it?

uote name='JETSOLVER' post='123001' date='Dec 13 2006, 11:43 PM']

Which part is world class? The about to be updated and not really wanted in Australia Orion chassis(word is its going on 50, and traces its linneage straight back to the original 62 Falcon), or the solid rear axle/strut 57/43 ft/rr Mustang chassis?

There is nothing world class about either. :slap:

There has never been a world class Mustang. That is why it is a Mustang. Cheap, pony style, V8 rear drive, cheap. That is the formula, the brand the essence, the DNA of mustang. :banghead:

Unless you consider the FR500C. But it sort of misses the cheap part.

However, the Orion will make a decent sedan, but it seems at this late date that a native RWD chassis that solves/fills a whole bunch of the product holes might be a better idea.

Edited by Blue II

GREAT IDEA FORD! CALL IT THE FALCON!

Below is a post from back in Sept. We were bouncing this idea around on the forum

Interesting ideas.

I've been toying with the same thought. Someone mentioned on another thread that the Falcon was availible in 2 door (coupe & vert), 4 door, 2 door wagon & pannel, 4 door wagon, Sprint and Ranchero.

Why not reverse what Ford did in 1964? Let's launch a new Falcon from the Mustang platform.

Offer the above body styles with various engine options ranging fron a 150hp 4 cyl, (Ranger engine) up to the mustang V-8 (detuned by 10 hp).

This would require a strtech of the platform, not hard to do. Yes I've heard some say the Stangs platform can't be stretched. Bull Duke! give me a single reason why Ford's engineers have lost this ability, (a common prctice accross the industry for 5 decades).

Also, a new T-Bird & Cougar could be built off this new, stretched platform.

"Oh but this segment is already covered by the Ranger, Focus & Fusion", (say that in a whiny voice). I think that Falcon line-up could fill the gaping holes in Fords line up and put Ford back on everyones list to at least to look at. Best of all, it could all be done on the cheap, sharing components with a proven design.

As for styling, not sure. I'm of the opinon that it sould be sporty and American, but I'll let you folks bounce that around.

Well, everyone is hung up on extending the Mustang brand to a 4-door and/or wagon, but let's think about what might be going on:

. Ford would probably like to have a 4-door RWD sedan in the lineup, but resources are severely limited.

. With limited resources (both engineering and investment dollars), there likely is an even bigger push to develop derivatives from existing hardware (let's see, if I have a 747-300, and want to add a longer upper deck and get better fuel economy, do I need new wings??)

. There probably is no need or benefit to either switch Mustang to Falcon platform or to do a major meld of the platforms at this point; Mustang proportions are unusual and require a lot of modification from whatever 4-door might be in the lineup. The D2c platform works just fine for Mustang, and the facilities are already in place. Any cross shipping of components between the US and Australia would likely have little or no benefit.

. Mustang capacity is limited in AAI as the Mazda 6 takes up the other half of the plant.

So, some of the war gaming inside of Ford might be:

"If Mazda were to build a new plant in the US, and we could free up AAI, what products could we make to fill the plant with D2c's", and probably also

"Suppose we were to do a sedan and a wagon, what are the ramifications of calling these derivitaves "Mustang"?"

That's my guess anyway....

Lots of issues, including tearing up the rear end of the platform to install IRS (maybe common with Falcon?). AWD probably not likely without a major investment. And of course, the name/branding issues that have ignited a firestorm.