The Taurus is back!

Anthony

The Windstar, OTOH, was a more credible contender in its segment than the Taurus was in its.

The public, at large, is not partaking of this discussion.

The public at large will likely greet commercials for the 'new' Taurus with a collective, "Huh? I thought they canceled that." or "Is that thing still around?" or "I haven't seen that at Hertz".

Regardless of name, a sustained marketing campaign would do wonders for that car, but this--it's hard to see this as a likely positive. I don't see this doing much to improve the perception of the vehicle. Sure it will increase awareness of the name, but awareness does not always equate to positive perception.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Windstar, OTOH, was a more credible contender in its segment than the Taurus was in its.

The public, at large, is not partaking of this discussion.

The public at large will likely greet commercials for the 'new' Taurus with a collective, "Huh? I thought they canceled that." or "Is that thing still around?" or "I haven't seen that at Hertz".

Regardless of name, a sustained marketing campaign would do wonders for that car, but this--it's hard to see this as a likely positive. I don't see this doing much to improve the perception of the vehicle. Sure it will increase awareness of the name, but awareness does not always equate to positive perception.

I would agree with you. No matter if it becomes the Taurus or stays as a Five-Hundred marketing will be what makes or breaks the re-designed car coming out this spring. If it is a Taurus then they need to draw on the positives of the orginal car. What did it do that had not been done before? What does the new Taurus do that has not been done before...how about room...backseat...trunk...perfomance...transmission...AWD...etc. The D3 could be a great car even with it's ho-hum styling...IF....people know about it. That is the main reason I support this name change and on a lesser extent the change back to Sable on the Mercury version. The first step in marketing is getting people to listen. If they can't remember what your product is called...they tune out.

Nevermind...the car won't be a Five-Hundred any longer....looks like they have made up their mind...company officials now are saying...TAURUS RETURNS! (unless those 2 company officials are lying.) Still no word on the return of the Sable...still only speculation that it too will make a return.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/02/06/ap3401184.html

Edited by 2005Explorer

I'm curious as to where a potential RWD "Interceptor" falls into the mix, if at all. I assumed (never a good thing) a new RWD S197 based sedan would slide into the Five Hundred's spot, but by bringing back the Taurus nameplate seems to indicate it's going to stay around for some time, or maybe not. I suppose a S197 based sedan could replace the CV chassis, or more than likely there won't be a S197 sedan.

These sources are saying the Sable will make a return as well... Guess we will find out for sure tomorrow!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...hi-business-hed

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/02...up_sable_m.html

They also state that the Freestyle might also get a name change...I wonder...hmmm

Edited by 2005Explorer

These sources are saying the Sable will make a return as well... Guess we will find out for sure tomorrow!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...hi-business-hed

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/02...up_sable_m.html

They also state that the Freestyle might also get a name change...I wonder...hmmm

EEK.. I hate the Sable name... I certainly prefer Montego...

And yet again someone writing about the mid-sized LTD of the mid 80's called it an LTD II. It was not an LTD II. Only the 1977-79 intermediates were LTD II's. The 83-86 was just simply LTD.

Anyway, Ford ought to just supply a nameplate lettering kit with each car so the customer can call it what they want...

Edited by Watchdevil

Seems Ford has done something, right or wrong, the name change has piqued a lot of interest. Look how many topics are floating on BON alone.

As some have said,"Can Ford leverage/market it in a good positive way?" Time will tell.

BTW I'll take a 325HP AWD SHO.

Is it possible that the negative perception is over-stated within the car community? Isn't it possible that there is a large audience who have nothing but positive expectations for anything dubbed "Taurus"? Most people are not terribly aware of the same stigmas that doom the Taurus from our perspectives.

I have to admit that as a possible Montego costumer, I am not enthusiastic about buying a Sable :/. However, I don't have the same problem buying a Taurus vs. 500. Of course, I once owned a Taurus and I had a very positive experience so I'm not hung-up on the image.

I'm curious as to where a potential RWD "Interceptor" falls into the mix, if at all. I assumed (never a good thing) a new RWD S197 based sedan would slide into the Five Hundred's spot, but by bringing back the Taurus nameplate seems to indicate it's going to stay around for some time, or maybe not. I suppose a S197 based sedan could replace the CV chassis, or more than likely there won't be a S197 sedan.

Old Five Hundred = New Taurus.

Interceptor = New Five Hundred.

Not a bad thought if they go ahead with this name change.

I have had mixed emotions about this since I read about it this morning. There is probably some truth to the rumour since its not just the auto rags reporting the name change. I never really warmed up to 500 as a name. It had no distinct history within Ford since it merely denoted a trim upgrade. Conversely, 300 had a proud history at Chrysler as their top of the line luxury/muscle car. I think someone at Ford just assumed that 500 was better than 300 (its 200 More!... "These amps go to 11")

The problem with calling the 500 Taurus is threefold in my opinion. First, if they were going to do it they should have done it when the 500 was introduced with a big ad campaign to introduce the new Taurus-Better in every way. Second, I think the Taurus name has been damaged by Ford's years of neglect. Whatever equity once existed in the Taurus name has been overshadowed by its reputation as a rental car. Third, it smacks of desperation. Ford didn't market the 500 now they will have to start over with the car and rehab the Taurus name at the same time.

An option exists from Ford's past to juice up the 500 and make a marketing splash. In 1959 the Fairlane 500 started the year as the top dog. Eventhough Fairlane was only 4 years old, Ford needed to counter Chevy's new Impala. The solution was adding the Galaxie name as the top of the Fairlane 500 line. The car was a great success. Ford outsold Chevy (due in no small part to the bizzare over the top '59 Chevys) In 1960 Fairlane had been demoted to second tier and Galaxie became its own model.

Ford could resurect the Galaxie name for the top of the line 500 with an XL performance/sport variant (AWD Volvo V-8). The Galaxie name still has some identification with Ford, at least as much as the Impala does for Chevy. Even better it doesn't begin with F. I know it won't happen and if Taurus is coming back the deal is already done. I guess we will know for sure soon.

It could work if the 500 resfesh was more dramatic and eye catching, however, that is not the case. My next door neighbor (he Taurus, wife Sable) was really ticked off when I told him years ago that the Taurus was on the cutting block. He was on his third Taurus and really loves them. His concern was primarily about image - he would be driving a discontinued car. This change may make someone like him feel better now that the name will live on, even in a fairly bland car. Knowing him, the styling is not really a big deal to for him to step into a 500/Taurus.

Guys it's all about marketing... Tell me how many articles were out there to show the restyled Five-Hundred during the last months Detroit autoshow? Hell even most automotive centred places didn't bother to put much more than a photo... No stories about the upgraded materials, 60 more horses, or new 6-speed tranny... Nothing... Only crickets chirping...

With one swap of a nameplate they even have the general news sites picking it up. I've seen more articles on this than I did on the beloved Interceptor, MKR, or C-XF... Like it or not you've got to admit that the redesign would have been forgotten by its lack of buzz if not for the Taurus name change. At least this has chance because people are talking... The mix of people thinking it's a great idea and the people who think it's a stupid idea is great... It's not the mix of likes and dislikes that kills a car... It's apathy.

And prior to the Taurus announcement the D3 car restyle was greeted with a silent yawn...

Follow this up with a decent marketing campaign and they just might have a chance to save the line…

And don’t forget a 3.5L Twin Turbo powered SHO would be a nice introduction for New York…

The Interceptor is a pipe-dream, I don't think there is a strong push for the project. Even if there is, the Mustang platform can't be used so an all new platform needs to come together. In any case, you're looking at 2012 at the earliest.

Uh thats rumor since the Interceptor and MKR are on stretched Mustang platform...I don't see a problem with them coming out in next 2-3 years not 5 years..

Old Five Hundred = New Taurus.

Interceptor = New Five Hundred.

Not a bad thought if they go ahead with this name change.

Well lets look at this way...they are already using the Interceptor name on the CV ;)

Guess we'll see but both the MKR and Interceptor where well recieved, and hopefully the new management isn't just all about renaming products "just because"

:party2: :party2:

Wow, This has got everyone Talking.

I just bought a 1999 Taurus from the Local Lincoln/Mercury Dealer. The salesmen was telling me that it really hurts with the Taurus/Sable being gone. He said that he has had many people coming in and looking for one, and not happy they are not available.

I really think this will help in the long run. Sales will increase!!!

Can all the people who had this idea before Mullally gave up his Lexus please stand up. Mullally has all of the BON archives and a team to take everyone of our ideas to the top. I love it when a plan comes together. CUT THAT CHECK First and Now The Taurus. Mullaly MULLALLY keep up the good work.

You also have to consider the way this news is being presented to the public. "Struggling Ford tries to tap into its heritage to spark sales of unpopular 500". Ford's preoccupation for name changing to correct its marketing problems does do a lot of harm to Ford's image (irony I suppose).

Ford's leadership is a revolving door so you are once again seeing the side-effect.

I love the idea of the Taurus name returning, but I'm not sure resurrection by name-change is the healthiest way to go.

I have had mixed emotions about this since I read about it this morning. There is probably some truth to the rumour since its not just the auto rags reporting the name change.

If Taurus is coming back the deal is already done. I guess we will know for sure soon.

I guess we KNOW NOW. I will hope for the best. If the name change boosts sales I'm all for it. Stranger things have happened.