The Taurus is back!

Anthony

Let's see...what other vehicles are also on derivitives of that platform? Oh yeah:

Volvo S60

Volvo S80

Volvo V70

Volvo XC70

Volvo XC90

Land Rover LR2

Yep. What a waste of a platform. They never should have developed it.

I said the entire platform failed FOR FORD. Volvo and LR figured out how to make a very successful series of products from it. FMC should get all the brains from its other divisions and bring them over to Ford to get things working.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said the entire platform failed FOR FORD. Volvo and LR figured out how to make a very successful series of products from it. FMC should get all the brains from its other divisions and bring them over to Ford to get things working.

Yeah, instead of fixing what's broken, let's lose our shirts and throw out everything that is GREAT about the platform. And it is a GREAT platform, suffering from dull styling.

Why should they 'shit can it" just because you dont like how it "looks"?

Companies can't just "drop" a whole platforms due to styling. The 08 gets a new 6 speed, the 3.5L, and interior changes. they can't just 'bring back the SHO' and be all V8s, overnight.

The old name is better, gets news, and will bring buyers into showroom. Only thing, the MSRP may scare buyers expecting a 1995 price.

BTW, rear drive isn't really on a "comeback" and we are not going back to the 60's. Mopar's LX car sales are down. And last I heard, the FWD Camry sold nearly 400K units for 2006.

Edited by 630land

The old name is better, gets news, and will bring buyers into showroom. Only thing, the MSRP may scare buyers expecting a 1995 price.

Well, if they are scared off by the price, it gives the sales staff the opportunity to push the Fusion instead. I don't think the price will be much of an issue though as I believe the Five Hundred/Taurus is priced very competetively already.

I think the fate of this Taurus Part Deux really lies on the sales staff at the dealership level. That could spell trouble no matter what kind of buzz the vehicle gets because of the name change.

BTW, rear drive isn't really on a "comeback" and we are not going back to the 60's. Mopar's LX car sales are down. And last I heard, the FWD Camry sold nearly 400K units for 2006.

We aren't going back to the 60s, but mass-market RWD sedans are here to stay, like it or not. They always have been, really -- how many cars did BMW sell in the US last year?

LX sales are down a bit because the Charger and 300 need a refresh, which is the problem with using trendy buzz designs, and because the Magnum has pretty much run its course as a product. Challenger will add some units, and there's a Chrysler coupe and a bigger sedan in the works too.

Also, the Hemis need a redesign to get better MPG, which is coming in about a year.

Meanwhile, GM is investing zillions to produce new line of RWD cars for North America -- next-gen Impala, Camaro, G8, GTO, next-gen Lucerne, next-gen DTS. Like Chrysler, they'll offer both front- and rear-drive cars, seeing that there's a solid market for both.

So, would someone be so kind as to enlighten me as to how this is progress?

We had some executive a while back decide that all Ford names should begin with "F".

Now we've got some different executive deciding that henceforth the Five Hundred should be called "Taurus".

Maybe I'm the idiot, but I see moral equivalence here. Mulally pushing the Taurus name is NO DIFFERENT than some other executive pushing the F-convention. Mark my words, if this is the kind of leadership Mulally brings to Ford Motor, you will regret it sooner or later, because it is the same kind of leadership Ford has had for the last 104 years.

I think this is good news and a total shock! Back when everybody said the 500 looked like a VW I always said it looked more like a first gen Taurus. I wouldn't mind if they named the top of the line the Taurus 500 instead of limited.

As far as bring the Sable name back... I think Montego is a better name. I always hated "Sable". When I owned one, half the time I just called it a Taurus anyway.

Edited by atomcat68

Might be too late, as this is what they should have done in the first place... Going to have to keep some continuity in short-term place so expect the Taurus 500 for now... And drop the 500 later. I also hope that they learned another lesson and market the Freestyle as the Taurus Freestyle... The biggest mistake in the orginal naming was that they marketed the 500 and Freestlye seperately... What for? To double your marketing costs? Freestyle has always been a 500 "sportwagon" in shape and function if not in name. The sad part about the name splitting was the Taurus wagon was quite popular and the last true family wagon on the market. But Ford has always been willing to throw a loyal following under the table for no reason.

Reality check. If the Taurus name does come back, there is not much need for V8, twin turbocharged V6s, etc. Look at its role - a large sedan without an overly large exterior. It must be something that has excellent quality, durability, economy and reputation. It will be for those who now buy the Camrys and Accords who want some more room, style, or "just something else". This is the largest part of the car market today and tomorrow. Leave the high power/luxury stuff to Lincoln, and have exclusive Lincoln powertrains that are not available in Fords, so as not to dilute Lincoln. On the Ford side leave the performance to the Fusion on the FWD/AWD side, and the Interceptor (or whatever it is called) on the RWD side. For the Taurus all that is needed is a base drivetrain with competitive power and economy and an uplevel option with sat 30% more power and another transmission choice. A "high economy" option (diesel, hybrid, or a combination) can eventually be offered also.

There is not much of an enthusiast market for a large sedan, and it would be a waste of resources to serve such a niche. Now, if Ford had the resources Toyota has, it would be a different story.

I think it is a great move. The biggest knock on this car, lack of power will be fixed with the new V6. Add to that AWD, best pick for Safety including stabiltiy control, best in class room, low price and good fuel economy and the car fits the Taurus legacy. (Ford do you see the talking points here for your "all new Taurus" ad campaign?) Ford can have a winner here if they emphisize this car is great for all the reasons the old Taurus was (saftey, room, fuel economy, price ) plus has features you expect from a 21st century car (stabiltiy contorl, AWD, Nav system?, MP3 hookup?) Finally the looks will get a small refresh, OK, it is not the Chrysler 300 but neither is the Camary. So Ford will put a band aid on the looks now and do a better job on the next big refesh. But calling it Taurus no matter what it looks like is must.

I DONT SEE TOYOTA CHANGING CAMARY'S NAME JUST BECUASE IT DOSN'T START WITH A "T"!!!!!!!

Dang it, now I can't get one! I'm not going to spend half an hour explaining to all my friends why this Taurus isn't the same as the piece of crap Taurus they've known for years.

So spend half an hour explaining it to them. Maybe after they sit in the car and spend a little time around it they'll realize it's not the same old Taurus and they might go consider one themselves. :)

First of all, I would argue that the Five Hundred is the best all-around car in its class, if not for hp.

If the 2008 Ford Taurus comes to fruition, it will be:

-The fastest Taurus ever

-The most luxurious Taurus ever

-The largest Taurus ever

However, I'd like to see three things out of this:

-A QUALITY marketing campaign to re-establish the Taurus name, and connect it with the 1986-1995 model

-A Taurus 500 trim package with an uplevel motor and all the luxuries

-A Taurus SHO with monochrome and an uplevel motor

My wife bought a 2005 Five Hundred. People ask her what kind of car it is and then say "What? I've never heard of that".

Good move Ford.

And to the guy that thinks they are horrible cars and a waste of money: have you driven one? We've had ours for a year and a half...and the wife still loves it. It is a good car.

Edited by 351cid

So, would someone be so kind as to enlighten me as to how this is progress?

We had some executive a while back decide that all Ford names should begin with "F".

Now we've got some different executive deciding that henceforth the Five Hundred should be called "Taurus".

Maybe I'm the idiot, but I see moral equivalence here. Mulally pushing the Taurus name is NO DIFFERENT than some other executive pushing the F-convention. Mark my words, if this is the kind of leadership Mulally brings to Ford Motor, you will regret it sooner or later, because it is the same kind of leadership Ford has had for the last 104 years.

I always thought it was Bill jr. that pushed the F thing. Ever notice everybody the Lions hire starts with an M.

That was one silly decision to start naming everything with an F and this is a step in the right derection. It was an idiotic decision to to give up such a well known brand as the Ford taurus over some childish desire to start the cars name with an F. Besides all the cars being named with an F is confusing. Even the BON poster sometimes mix up the names let alone the regular public. Freestar and Freestyle? Stupid.

I will reserve judgement on the idiot thing.

Pioneer was right. Zanatwork is not 10 times as smart as Pioneer.

Edited by Bluecon