• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From AutoExpress:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/spyshots...ford_focus.html

car_photo_222642_5.jpg

Key to the new model range will be an ultra-efficient variant dubbed the ECOnetic. Its 1.6-litre TDCi diesel engine will emit only 115g/km of CO2 and return fuel economy of nearly 70mpg.

That's 56 MPG in US Gallons (3.78 litres) but still really good.

The 1.6 TDI is probably no powerhouse but an honest performer.

From AutoExpress:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/spyshots...ford_focus.html

car_photo_222642_5.jpg

Key to the new model range will be an ultra-efficient variant dubbed the ECOnetic. Its 1.6-litre TDCi diesel engine will emit only 115g/km of CO2 and return fuel economy of nearly 70mpg.

This picture should silence anybody still remaining who is crying about our Focus not being C1. This looks to be about the most uninspired refresh in recent memory. Do you really think this thing would do well in the US???? :boring:

Personally I think the back of the euro hatch is so cool looking, doesn't look like it changed much, but its like the cool sleeker version of the old (our) hatch, a design i also liked.

And from what I can tell the refresh on the front makes the car look much better, wasn't a huge fan of the angles on the lower front bumper, or the black plastic piece over the fogs.

Though interestingly, except for the fact they are dropping the ZX3, I do like the 08 American Focus, though I need to see it in person. Though I don't need to see pics to say I prefer the euro interior, those HVAC vents and steering wheel make the interior seem so much more upscale.

This picture should silence anybody still remaining who is crying about our Focus not being C1. This looks to be about the most uninspired refresh in recent memory. Do you really think this thing would do well in the US???? :boring:

Don't hold your breath.

Rant: I understand everyone loves Porsches and AMG MBs, but most folks that read automotive publications will never set foot in one. With that said it would be nice to have more meaningful roadtests on vehicles that the joe speed racer can afford. Not that the Focus is a little pocket rocket (at least in the US), it would be nice to have a side-by-side comparo pitting the C170 against the C1. I'd have a feeling that the outcome would shut up all the 'I want a euro Focus now' whiners up.

It's a friggin' refresh of a car that's almost 4 years old, not a redesign.

This, on the other hand, is "brand new" and is obviously the design/decision you're favoring and defending.

2008_Focus.jpg

You're a hypocrite and have no moral authority whatsoever to judge what looks good or doesn't, but hey, I guess you and Michael Reynolds just never get tired of defending mediocrity.

Fact of the matter is that, almost 4 years later, the C1 Focus still anally rapes both the 2004 and 2008 FuckUs, which even Ford admits went overbudget. Basically, they'll have saved NO money when all is said and done. I get your point, though...

:bowdown:

Yes, thank god Ford NA was wise enough to waste hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and (well you get the point) of millions of dollars releasing two cars instead of one:

post-11072-1188574121_thumb.jpg

Edited by pcsario

It's a friggin' refresh of a car that's almost 4 years old, not a redesign.

This, on the other hand, is "brand new" and is obviously the design/decision you're favoring and defending.

2008_Focus.jpg

You're a hypocrite and have no moral authority whatsoever to judge what looks good or doesn't, but hey, I guess you and Michael Reynolds just never get tired of defending mediocrity.

Fact of the matter is that, almost 4 years later, the C1 Focus still anally rapes both the 2004 and 2008 FuckUs, which even Ford admits went overbudget. Basically, they'll have saved NO money when all is said and done. I get your point, though...

Yes, thank god Ford NA was wise enough to waste hundreds of millions of dollars releasing two cars instead of one:

Umm...the 2008 Focus in North America is only a "refresh" too. Hardly a thing was changed as far as hardpoints were concerned. I'm not saying that the '08 NA Focus looks great (in fact I've said several times that I thought it looked pretty half-assed if you bothered to pay attention), but the C1 Focus is not exactly impressing me anymore either.

So take your kneel-down and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Edited by NickF1011

Umm...the 2008 Focus in North America is only a "refresh" too.

The 2005 was a refresh, facelift, whatever you want to call it.

The disaster you're defending, isn't. Plus this C1 will be an even better version.

Again, don't get me wrong, we do get where you guys are coming from.

Edited by pcsario

The 2005 was a refresh, facelift, whatever you want to call it.

The disaster you're defending, isn't. Plus this C1 will be an even better version.

Again, don't get me wrong, we do get where you guys are coming from.

Is the '08 Focus still riding on C170? Yes. Did they significantly alter the powertrains? No. Did they significantly revise anything at all about the platform? No. It's a refresh. New sheetmetal and a new interior. That's really about it aside from adding a coupe. Should it have been a complete redesign? Yes. Unfortunately it's not.

Now, please point out in that response where I am defending that ugly little bugger.

Edited by NickF1011

Well again, Jr. disagrees with you, Frankenstein is officially the next gen Focus in NA, not just a "refresh".

If praising Ford NA's idiocy for "sparing us" of the C1 Focus --and also bringinp up design into this-- wasn't "defending the little bugger(s)", I don't know what is. You and Michael just keep trying to vindicate them. Period.

Just admit that it was an historic mistake already, and stop making up excuses for them.

Edited by pcsario

Well again, Jr. disagrees with you, Frankenstein is officially the next gen Focus in NA, not just a "refresh".

If praising Ford NA's idiocy for "sparing us" of the C1 Focus --and also bringinp up design into this-- wasn't "defending the little bugger(s)", I don't know what is.

Just admit that it was a mistake already, and stop making up excuses for them.

Jr.? Jr. who? This Focus is about as much "next generation" as the 1999 Mustang was a "next generation" over the 1994. In other words...it ain't.

Let's put it this way...the way the C170 Focus looks for '08 and the way the C1 Focus looks for '08, I wouldn't be putting either one anywhere near my shopping list. They are BOTH outdated and rather uninspired at this point. That was basically my point about no longer whining about C1. We're stuck with C170, unfortunately. But the way C1 is looking right now and through the end of the generation, it really doesn't look like we're missing out on anything significant anymore. Would it have made a difference back when C1 debuted? Absolutely. But at this point, what the heck does it matter?

You're only backtracking now.

So you do admit it was an historic mistake after all, and are no longer thanking God we didn't get it, swtiching now to "I couldn't care less"?

I will take the above post as a "Yes".

BTW this C1 Focus is obviously an even better version of the original, so both are still superior to the '05 refresh, and Franky.

Edited by pcsario

Bubu, take a pill. They're entitled to their aesthetic opinion, just as you are entitled to yours.

You're only backtracking now.

So you do admit it was an historic mistake after all, and are no longer thanking God we didn't get it, swtiching now to "I couldn't care less"?

I will take the above post as a "Yes".

BTW this C1 Focus is obviously an even better version of the original, so both are still superior to the '05 refresh, and Franky.

Not backtracking at all. I've ALWAYS wanted the C1 Focus here, but there comes a point where people need to stop clamoring for it, and the upcoming C1 refresh seems to be it for me. It's simply not that special anymore compared to what we have here. Mistake that the C1 didn't come here before? Certainly. I've ALWAYS held that position, just as I've held the position that at this point it would be an historic mistake to try to bring over C1 NOW, especially considering what it looks like in its '08 rendition, which is more or less a warmed-over '05 Focus look.

Hell, what car ISN'T better than the '05 Focus refresh? You won't ever see me defend that thing. It seems to be put together pretty well, but aside from that, there's not a redeeming quality about it.

I REALLY can't wait for C2 to come around so we can FINALLY stop bitching and moaning about this ridiculously tired subject.

We can't go back in time, we all know that.

All people have done since '05, is point out something that --to this day-- most guys here just don't want to admit and condemn outright.

That Ford NA made a historic, catastrophic mistake.

Main point has always been this: C1 Focus is better than the C170 Focus, and should've been Ford's entry for the segment since '05.

A bunch of people just don't want to eat crow, hence the neverending excuses from apologists like 630land and others, who sticked up for Ford's idiocy back then, and minimized a lot of people at the time, posters which were ultimately vindicated. It's always the same people from both sides arguing about this. Face it. We were right. Hell, we're getting to a point where the same people who used to laugh at the idea of paying 14-17k for a Focus in '08, are now giving the thumbs up. ("Bububu 14k Focus, tops, this and Frankie were necessary" /2005)

I swear, when the prices were leaked, the moment I saw one of them post "I see no problem with the pricing" --after all of their previous whinning and defenses on the subject-- I almost fell off my chair laughing.

The debate still continues because those people just refuse to admit they were wrong.

Edited by pcsario

We can't go back in time, we all know that.

All people have done since '05, is point out something that --to this day-- most guys here just don't want to admit and condemn outright.

Main point has always been this: C1 Focus is better than the C170 Focus, and should've been Ford's entry for the segment since '05.

A bunch of people just don't want to eat crow, hence the neverending excuses from apologists like 630land and others, who sticked up for Ford's idiocy back then, and minimized a lot of people at the time, posters which were ultimately vindicated. It's always the same people from both sides arguing about this. Face it. We were right.

The debate still continues because people just refuse to admit they were wrong.

Well I agree with most of what you said there actually. Of course, I don't know about "catastrophic" really though. Sure, it's a better car, but based on everything else Ford has been through during this decade, do you really think it would have made much difference? I doubt it would have. Focus sales would probably still be FAR below that of Corolla and Civic, no matter how good a car we got. That's just the nature of Ford's fortunes right now. That's certainly no excuse, and looking forward we can only see a brighter future with SHARED platforms again, FINALLY.

So aside from the bitter ones hanging on to their outdated opinions from several years ago and those who wish to slap Ford around at every opportunity, there's no point to debating this AT ALL. We KNOW what is coming for the Focus in the future, so I'm not sure what there is left to debate.

Bubu, ya got a point, there. It might not be "catastrophic", but the Focus has been an example of lack of committment.

What was a "catastrophic" lack of follow-through, was the single-slider 2nd generation Windstar. What an embarrassment that was, when Chryco introduced its 2-slider minivan. The Windstar never got over it.

while I agree with the posts stating that this 08 is a dismal effort ( perhaps that is too strong as i have yet to see the ACTUAL car, my opinions are based on horrific photos that look like 10 year old Mercury Mytiques ) I think I can tolerate this POS based on the fact that it is a stopgap till the good stuff arrives in a couple of years...I actually APPLAUD Ford for doing ANYTHING to its red headed stepchild....

Edited by Deanh

True...at least they didn't sit on the current model until 2011 like I'm sure they were tempted to. The new interior is an improvement at least....

have to tell you...hard car to beat mechanically...I have a number of owners lauding dependability/ MILEAGE/ and they beat the "snot" outa them....and back to my prior post...i was surprized....Ford could have left her alone...after all its NOT a cash cow at all, probably more of a help the CAFE ratings....

have to tell you...hard car to beat mechanically...I have a number of owners lauding dependability/ MILEAGE/ and they beat the "snot" outa them....and back to my prior post...i was surprized....Ford could have left her alone...after all its NOT a cash cow at all, probably more of a help the CAFE ratings....

The part Ford needs to remember is that, while small cars aren't cash cows, they DO create customers. Someone who buys a Focus today could end up with a Fusion in 5 years, an Explorer in 10 years, an Expedition in 15 years, and a Lincoln Navigator in 20 years. They can't ignore entry level vehicles just because they don't bring in a lot of profit.

The part Ford needs to remember is that, while small cars aren't cash cows, they DO create customers. Someone who buys a Focus today could end up with a Fusion in 5 years, an Explorer in 10 years, an Expedition in 15 years, and a Lincoln Navigator in 20 years. They can't ignore entry level vehicles just because they don't bring in a lot of profit.

I agree....hopefully the next model will satisfy us a litttle more completly...if the Verve is anything to go by I think we will all be ( barring PC of course ) pleasently surprized....I think there is going to be a HUGE backlash on "Big".....

True...at least they didn't sit on the current model until 2011 like I'm sure they were tempted to. The new interior is an improvement at least....

Seats are improvement, dash execution is too truck-like. Exterior being so far removed from what the Focus is, is not good. Unless of course FoAmerica plans to keep this Asian styling for the 2011/12 Focus. Now thats a scary thought.