What should replace the mustang?

Biker16

We will have the charger, Camaro, Nissan GT-s, 350Z.

what can ford do to make these mustang wannabes obsolete?

First more power, better economy.

more aggressive styling than todays car.

higher quality materials, inside and out.

IRS for better ride quality.

Believe it or not, ford's driving dynamics engineers are the best in the world.

the goal is not only to out handle any competitor, but to do so while delivering a better ride and comfort.

I want the mustang to be tidy-er reduce the length by 8 inches, but give it a wider, meaner stance.

the GT would bepowered by an upgraded

4.6 V8 with 340hp

V6 would be a 3.5 Duratec with 270hp.

both would be mated to a 6 speed manual or automated manua transmissions. with paddle shifter and cool "FORD POWER" push to start button.

The mustang needs GPS, dual zone climate control

Human Machine Interface (HMI)

Interactive Vehicle Dynamics Control (IVDC) with Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD)

Hill Launch Assist

The mustang based on a global architecture should be able to nintegrate these option with ease and offer what the wannabes can't.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you will get about half of it before the Challenger has time to even get up to speed with new engines, new interior, updated interior next year. The engines will be 3.5l V6 and probably 5.0l V8 .. then other special edition engines like the TwinForce 3.5l V6, 6.2l V8, 5.4l V8 all automatics will be 6speed. Dual zone, GPS etc .. are all going ot be there.

The more advanced stuff - IRS, etc .. 2011 calendar year 2012 model Year when the all new huntsmen Mustang debuts. I am not sure about the shorter and wider piece .. we shall see ... I think the mustang is short enough ... it does not have much interior space .. I would rather have them focus on making the car with similar dimensions, but lighter.

anyways - with the approval of GRWDP in spring,Ford is truly going full speed ahead with Mustang .. times will get tougher with competition again ... but Mustang will do well..

PS: GT-R? That car will start at $60k or so .. that is Corvette territory - not pony car territory .. and the Z is a roadster . .again - not a Mustang territory ..

4seater, FR coupes/convertibles starting under $25k .. that is what Ford is competing with.

roadsters will do their own thing: Miata, Solstice, Z, Sky, etc; so will "sportcars": GT-R, Corvette ...

Igor

Edited by igor

you will get about half of it before the Challenger has time to even get up to speed with new engines, new interior, updated interior next year. The engines will be 3.5l V6 and probably 5.0l V8 .. then other special edition engines like the TwinForce 3.5l V6, 6.2l V8, 5.4l V8 all automatics will be 6speed. Dual zone, GPS etc .. are all going ot be there.

The more advanced stuff - IRS, etc .. 2011 calendar year 2012 model Year when the all new huntsmen Mustang debuts. I am not sure about the shorter and wider piece .. we shall see ... I think the mustang is short enough ... it does not have much interior space .. I would rather have them focus on making the car with similar dimensions, but lighter.

anyways - with the approval of GRWDP in spring,Ford is truly going full speed ahead with Mustang .. times will get tougher with competition again ... but Mustang will do well..

PS: GT-R? That car will start at $60k or so .. that is Corvette territory - not pony car territory .. and the Z is a roadster . .again - not a Mustang territory ..

4seater, FR coupes/convertibles starting under $25k .. that is what Ford is competing with.

roadsters will do their own thing: Miata, Solstice, Z, Sky, etc; so will "sportcars": GT-R, Corvette ...

Igor

I'd like to add two things to keep the Mustang the best bang for the buck:

1. Cylinder de-activation to save fuel at idle/ cruise speed.

2. Convertible needs either fixed rollbars (dual humps behind rear headrests) or pyrotechnically activated ones.

with Global archtechtures.

It will be affordable to place these high-end features thru the entire lineup.

2012 looks great.

I think the mustang is too long, at 187.6in

if we shorten the rear overhang by 8 inches, using the GRWD IRS to eliminate the space robbing axle hump, you would have a more compact car with better weight distribution, and less mass, without sacrificing cargo space. you would gain rear seat room, beause you won't have to place the Rear seats ahead of the axle hump, you could move them further rear ward for more legroom.

post-2855-1192466154_thumb.jpg

post-2855-1192466038_thumb.jpg

Edited by Biker16

if we shorten the rear overhang by 8 inches, using the GRWD IRS to eliminate the space robbing axle hump, you would have a more compact car with better weight distribution, and less mass, without sacrificing cargo space. you would gain rear seat room, beause you won't have to place the Rear seats ahead of the axle hump, you could move them further rear ward for more legroom.

oh I see .. that makes sense ..

Igor

Stop aiming the Mustang at rednecks and people who don't know what a curve is.

you mean the 80% of Americans? great ..

I agree Pony cars are in for an image makeover .. they have to shed the redneck image /. ./especially the Camaro will have to tackle that .. but the LAST thing we need is people alienating the majority of Americans in endless quest to pander to the coasts ..

Igor

Hmmm....SN95 Mustangs (at least from 94-98) were probably some of the "curviest" cars built in the past 15 years. I wish they'd go back in that direction a little more.

Then again, I suppose you are talking about curves in roads, huh? To that end, Mustangs aren't nearly as sloppy handlers as people TRY to make them out to be. Heck, with stock-style suspension and solid axles, those FR500C's are tearing up road courses all over America.

Edited by NickF1011

For the love of God and all that is Holy, give it a modern interior.

That was a major turnoff when I was snooping the mustangs in this generation. I wasn't thrilled with soft lined-exterior after seeing the hard-lined concept images floating around, but it grew on me. The interior though......ugh. Retro can stop once you get inside.

Something between the Spartan design of my Xterra and the Millennium falcon design on my Civic. :shades:

Screw it, just let Mazda make the interior.

Aside from that, more power, IRS, an maybe an AWD option (blasphemy!)

Edited by the_spaniard

Mustangs, Camaro's and Challenger's will race in NASCAR Busch series. Aim it at Yuppies and you will loose sales. Marketing study said same. Although you have to admit it does appeal to a somewhat broad audience.

Marketing study said same. Although you have to admit it does appeal to a somewhat broad audience.

If it didn't, it wouldn't still be around after all these years. I don't think the "redneck" stigma carries it overseas either. Mustangs are highly sought after cars in overseas markets where they aren't readily available.

100% with you there.

If it didn't, it wouldn't still be around after all these years. I don't think the "redneck" stigma carries it overseas either. Mustangs are highly sought after cars in overseas markets where they aren't readily available.

I never thought of the Mustang as a redneck vehicle, because I know the Camero is for them rednecks. :happy feet: :happy feet:

what can ford do to make these mustang wannabes obsolete?

I tell yah Biker16, you just keep batting a thousand don't you?

Mustang doesn't "need" anything. Against all comers it

will do just fine, because it is NOT what it seems to be.

And while the competition keeps aiming at what they think the

Mustang is all about... they lose...!

I'll give you an inch on one thing. An IRS is really needed

to park the Mustang in its market niche properly.

If Ford followed the rest of this stuff... :finger:

All what the Mustang need is the panther chassis. Fuck, with that chassis. It will take on the M6 and beat it with the boat anchor 5.4L.

heres the kicker...the competition has the Mustang in their sites, the Mustang is already where it is with upgrades to come...pretty hard to hit a moving target...same gos for the next F-150...whilst the posers are aiming to de-throne; the King is already working on the NEXT iteration.......

Edited by Deanh

heres the kicker...the competition has the Mustang in their sites, the Mustang is already where it is with upgrades to come...pretty hard to hit a moving target...same gos for the next F-150...whilst the posers are aiming to de-throne; the King is already working on the NEXT iteration.......

The first thing Holden did at Fishermans bend was disassemble a Mustang and evaluate the build process.

They incorporated any advantages into their own Zeta platform, just as FoA has done for the Orion Falcon.

The zetas handle like they're on rails and have an up to date multi link IRS.

I seriously doubt Ford will pass up the opportunity to raid the Falcon parts bin.

Heck, the Falcon IRS is a bolt in unit and light as the SRA so why not make it an

option at worst and let the fans decide.

As for front suspension, the Falcon is about to replace the lower A-Arms with

a virtual pivot arangement to acheive even more handling. Two struts replace the

lower A-Arm and the pivot point exists out side the wheel rim.

All things ar possible.

Edited by jpd80

The first thing Holden did at Fishermans bend was disassemble a Mustang and evaluate the build process.

They incorporated any advantages into their own Zeta platform, just as FoA has done for the Orion Falcon.

The zetas handle like they're on rails and have an up to date multi link IRS.

I seriously doubt Ford will pass up the opportunity to raid the Falcon parts bin.

Heck, the Falcon IRS is a bolt in unit and light as the SRA so why not make it an

option at worst and let the fans decide.

As for front suspension, the Falcon is about to replace the lower A-Arms with

a virtual pivot arangement to acheive even more handling. Two struts replace the

lower A-Arm and the pivot point exists out side the wheel rim.

All things ar possible.

things sound/ look rosy..........

Uh, no you can not move the rear seats further back. You will lose headroom. I'm 5'5" (yeah, I'm short) and I can sit comfortably in the back seat. I figure at 5'8" or 5'9", you will run out of headroom. If you move the rear seat back even a couple of inches, I would probably run out of headroom. By the way, you can comfortably seat four people of 5'8" or less in the current model.

I like the rest of your suggestions.

Uh, no you can not move the rear seats further back. You will lose headroom. I'm 5'5" (yeah, I'm short) and I can sit comfortably in the back seat. I figure at 5'8" or 5'9", you will run out of headroom. If you move the rear seat back even a couple of inches, I would probably run out of headroom. By the way, you can comfortably seat four people of 5'8" or less in the current model.

I like the rest of your suggestions.

What I'd like to see is for Ford to reintroduce a Mustang coupe. One advantage the early Mustangs had was a decent back seat.