What car did you take your Driver's Test in?

Mark B. Morrow

A friend of mine is teaching his daughter to drive and it got me thinking back to my driver's ed days. I took my test in my mom's '71 Vega Wagon.

The choice was between the Vega and my dad's '74 Chevy Laguna S-3. I figured that I would get sympathy points with the Vega. It was only 5 years old but the front fenders were mostly Bondo and most of the panels had been sprayed with touch up paint. Pennsylvania had State Troopers administer the test. The guy who got me was about 6'5" and the front passenger seat in the Vega didn't adjust. The poor guy had his knees under his chin.

I took the test less than a week after my 16th birthday. It all went well, I didn't run any stop signs on the closed course and completed the 3 point turn without hitting anything. As we were approaching the parallel parking stall, the right rear tire started going flat. The Trooper told me that he would pass me if I could change the tire correctly. Thankfully the spare was up and I passed.

One kid from my school took his test in the '76 Trans Am his parents bought him for his 16th birthday. He failed twice in the TA and finally passed in an old Cutlass.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine is teaching his daughter to drive and it got me thinking back to my driver's ed days. I took my test in my mom's '71 Vega Wagon.

The choice was between the Vega and my dad's '74 Chevy Laguna S-3. I figured that I would get sympathy points with the Vega. It was only 5 years old but the front fenders were mostly Bondo and most of the panels had been sprayed with touch up paint. Pennsylvania had State Troopers administer the test. The guy who got me was about 6'5" and the front passenger seat in the Vega didn't adjust. The poor guy had his knees under his chin.

I took the test less than a week after my 16th birthday. It all went well, I didn't run any stop signs on the closed course and completed the 3 point turn without hitting anything. As we were approaching the parallel parking stall, the right rear tire started going flat. The Trooper told me that he would pass me if I could change the tire correctly. Thankfully the spare was up and I passed.

One kid from my school took his test in the '76 Trans Am his parents bought him for his 16th birthday. He failed twice in the TA and finally passed in an old Cutlass.

BMW 2002.

I later found out just how aluminum those are when I rearended it afte3r my buddy drove through a snow drift and stopped and I drove through the snow drift and stopped...after I pushed 2' of his trunk into the engine compartment. That was with my Plymouth Sapporo. Man I loved that Sapporo. Good sized engine, roomy, and not that ugly.

Peace and Blessings

I took it in my fathers 1970 Honda 600. The guy looked at me and said you got to be shitting me.

http://www.honda600coupe.com/Jons_1970_Honda_600_sedan.html

Talk about a dream to park. It was a lot easier to park than my 85 Buick Regal. The 600 was neat, 2 cyl...air cooled...4 speed. Slowest car ever.

I went to high school with a kid who had an Orange Honda 600. I never understood how he drove that thing in Pittsburgh with all the hills. He did occasionally find his car up on the sidewalk or turned sideways in the space since a few big guys could lift it up. We also had a family with a bunch of Subaru 360s.

My dads 1973 Ford Pinto Runabout (hatch back). 2000cc 4cy, AT, Passed!

Not a bad car didn't rust nearly as bad as my other choice: My moms 72 Ford Country Sedan wagon.

The Pinto had a really cool Weber carb on it. It was a staged 2bbl with a primary and secondary throttle. Me and my buddies used to call it a "half a quad".

Learned to drive a standard in a Pinto too. My friends brother had a 1971 Pinto with a 4 speed. Not a bad car to learn on cause you really had to learn how to ease the clutch out on launch. Not like a big V-8 where you could rev the engine, drop the clutch, and take off with a little wheel spin.

A six year old '57 Chebby. A little more than a year later, whilst drag racing on a back country road, that I'd never been on before, with a buddy in his '59 Chebby, I had him beat by several car lengths when I saw the road was a "T". We were going far too fast to make the turns, so I slammed on the brakes. He was slower at doing that too, so he hit me in the rear.

Too bad there is no video (it hadn't been invented yet), because the '57 fell apart (just like one of those comedy skits where someone slams a door and the bumpers, fenders, doors, and almost every other body panel falls off).

This all occurred in Michigan so the car had had 7 years of salt, and '57 Chebbies had a propensity for sheet metal perforation (rust that ate through the metal in just a couple years) so it was not unexpected. We needed one of those Nascar track debris pickup trucks to throw all the parts that came off, but alas, there wasn't one around, so we picked up the majority of them, threw them into the back seats (etc) of both cars, and limped them home.

Mine went directly to it's new home. . . the junkyard.

1979 Fairmont Futura......

80futura.jpg

(laughing)

I'm laughing because that picture was from my old Ford site. Man I need to get that site running again.

Me? I'll sound like a young kid but I learned to drive in a '99 Mercury Mountaineer V8. My dad still has it for towing purposes.

I passed the driving test no problem with that beast.

Edited by Roadrunner

In 1950, drivers test in a U.S. Army, 2 1/2 Ton GMC 6 X 6, 5 speed non-synchromesh. I never had a civilan license until I was out of the Army.

At Fort Campbell which is located in TN and KY we had to take written test for Army, TN and KY, plus a simulated driving test with reaction times from accelerator pedal to brake.

They would not issue me a license without first consulting with my Company Commander because they wondered if I had somehow cheated due to my test score being much higher than had ever before been made by anyone. C. C. said, no problem.

Anyhow I had the pleasure of hustling that old DUECE and a HALF round trip across the Smokey Mountains in convoy from Ft. Campbell to near Ft. Bragg, NC to be on a manuevers exercise.

Later on I was lucky enough to get to drive a Company Commanders Jeep at which time I convoyed from Campbell to Ft. Hood, TX and back.

And then one time, an old boy from GA named McCluskey and I had a semi-permanent job hauling water at night to the rifle range to water the grass; we had 6 X 6s with water tanks mounted on.

In 1950, drivers test in a U.S. Army, 2 1/2 Ton GMC 6 X 6, 5 speed non-synchromesh. I never had a civilan license until I was out of the Army.

At Fort Campbell which is located in TN and KY we had to take written test for Army, TN and KY, plus a simulated driving test with reaction times from accelerator pedal to brake.

They would not issue me a license without first consulting with my Company Commander because they wondered if I had somehow cheated due to my test score being much higher than had ever before been made by anyone. C. C. said, no problem.

Anyhow I had the pleasure of hustling that old DUECE and a HALF round trip across the Smokey Mountains in convoy from Ft. Campbell to near Ft. Bragg, NC to be on a manuevers exercise.

Later on I was lucky enough to get to drive a Company Commanders Jeep at which time I convoyed from Campbell to Ft. Hood, TX and back.

And then one time, an old boy from GA named McCluskey and I had a semi-permanent job hauling water at night to the rifle range to water the grass; we had 6 X 6s with water tanks mounted on.

Nothing more nerve-racking than driving in a military convoy in hilly terrain. Unless you have a really good driver in the lead vehicle, it becomes a great big accordian. One minute you've got the gas to the floor, the next you're standing on the brakes. On it goes hour after hour. As a mechanic, I was alway in the 5 ton wrecker at the rear of this cluster-*%#@! Got so mad at the CO once, that we passed the entire convoy with the wrecker, pulled in front of him in his jeep and stayed there, until he figured out how to lead a convoy!

72 Monte Carlo.

It was 1/82, right after I turned 17, and it had snowed about 4 inches the night before the test, and the DMV did not bother to plow the driving course. The trickiest part was the parallel parking - couldn't see the curb. I think I was too far away on the first cut, but the instructor was forgiving, especially given the conditions....

My dads 1973 Ford Pinto Runabout (hatch back). 2000cc 4cy, AT, Passed!

Not a bad car didn't rust nearly as bad as my other choice: My moms 72 Ford Country Sedan wagon.

The Pinto had a really cool Weber carb on it. It was a staged 2bbl with a primary and secondary throttle. Me and my buddies used to call it a "half a quad".

Learned to drive a standard in a Pinto too. My friends brother had a 1971 Pinto with a 4 speed. Not a bad car to learn on cause you really had to learn how to ease the clutch out on launch. Not like a big V-8 where you could rev the engine, drop the clutch, and take off with a little wheel spin.

I learned to drive a stick in a '71 Pinto too. Ginger Glow Metallic (the parts that weren't rust colored) I started out at the bottom of the steepest hill in Pittsburgh knowing I would have to shift on the way up. Fear is a wonderful teacher.

HEMISBC: I knew you would have an interesting story for this thread.