2008 Focus Sales Surge 36%

range

030308_sales.jpg

This news deserves its own thread.

oh, and that 36% increase is at the retail level.

Sorry to disappoint all those who predicted the opposite.

DEARBORN, Mich., March 3, 2008 – Ford’s new Focus and SYNC are connecting with small car buyers. Focus retail sales were up 36 percent in February – the fourth month in a row of higher retail sales.

“The new Focus and SYNC arrived at an opportune time,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s group vice president, Marketing and Communications. “We needed to raise awareness and consideration among younger buyers – and Focus and SYNC are getting us back in the game.”

Buyers age 16-35 account for 32 percent of retail sales for the 2008 Focus, compared with 28 percent for the previous model. Focus is one of 12 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models equipped with SYNC, an affordable, in-car connectivity technology that fully integrates most Bluetooth-enabled cell phones and MP3 players by voice activation.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gimmicks sell.

You tout that the Malibu has great interest in it and that its a success based on that. It still doesnt outsell the Fusion which is on its 3rd or 4th model year and has grown stale.

The Focus has had a healthy increase in retail sales and now its only a gimmick. really, wtf is up with you man? It sold, its selling, and despite many here predicting failure thats swift and ultimate, its so far turning out to be a viable product that people will buy. Even the other poster here was able to just man up and say that its good news (basically). Nobody is asking you to bow down before it as the greatest piece of automobile to grace the earth, hell, i wouldnt buy one, but quit whining about it just because you dont like the damn thing.

You tout that the Malibu has great interest in it and that its a success based on that. It still doesnt outsell the Fusion which is on its 3rd or 4th model year and has grown stale.

The Focus has had a healthy increase in retail sales and now its only a gimmick. really, wtf is up with you man? It sold, its selling, and despite many here predicting failure thats swift and ultimate, its so far turning out to be a viable product that people will buy. Even the other poster here was able to just man up and say that its good news (basically). Nobody is asking you to bow down before it as the greatest piece of automobile to grace the earth, hell, i wouldnt buy one, but quit whining about it just because you dont like the damn thing.

The Malibu is selling because when you get in the car...you can tell that somebody cared. It is not a sea of Tupperware like the Fusion/Focus/Super Duty/Expedition/Mustang/etc.

The Malibu is selling because when you get in the car...you can tell that somebody cared. It is not a sea of Tupperware like the Fusion/Focus/Super Duty/Expedition/Mustang/etc.

Hmm. Then why are the Fusion and Focus selling?

Never mind. I don't want to hear the inevitable crock of fertilizer that will be foisted on us as explanation.

Yet it cant outsell the tupperware.

shucks.

Remember, I LIKED the Malibu when I saw it in person and sat in it. It still isnt outselling the dated Fusion though.

Actually, the plastic in the fusion is very soft. As for the Trucks, they are voted by most to have the best interiors you can buy in trucks. You won't agree, but its not like many people will care anyway.

Actually, the plastic in the fusion is very soft. As for the Trucks, they are voted by most to have the best interiors you can buy in trucks. You won't agree, but its not like many people will care anyway.

I sat in a $56,000 SD at last years auto show...and the interior was on par with what was at the Suzuki display. It just plain sucked.

I had a VIP test drive the other day (I'm not rich just got lucky at the Philly autoshow). My choice was a fwd fusion 4cyl manual (would love a v6 manual), GREAT car...I also drove a gt mustang manual that day..apparently they assumed me a buyer worthy of those cars, at my whopping 22years of age (the engineering degree helps). I would love to drive a malibu, but I have not yet, frankly interior wise I like the "tupperware" fusion a lot more. Just give me a 3.5 and a manual and I'm sold...otherwise it's all fiesta for me (If it offers a true manual).

I sat in a $56,000 SD at last years auto show...and the interior was on par with what was at the Suzuki display. It just plain sucked.

All this coming from someone who drives a car whos interior hasn't had a redesign in how long?

Who makes your option the all knowing option of the automotive world? Your not going to fool anyone or change anyones mind here, and just make a fool of yourself doing otherwise.

I've also sat in a super duty. Quite frankly you must be blind.

I was going to sit in one at the 2007 Houston Auto Show, but got blinded nearly to death by the acres of chrome grilled bug-eyedness.

As far as the Focus, is concerned, I don't love it nor do I hate it (appearance-wise), but it is amazing what even the smallest amount of money spent on updating an existing platform can yield.....

*cough* :redcard: 's *cough*cough*.

Edited by Armada Master

All this coming from someone who drives a car whos interior hasn't had a redesign in how long?

Who makes your option the all knowing option of the automotive world? Your not going to fool anyone or change anyones mind here, and just make a fool of yourself doing otherwise.

:cheerleader: !!!!

lol.

Im critical of Ford as well, and as the owner of a Ranger, its not that hard to be critical of them alot of the time. Just to read the nonsense that P posts day in and day out is just laughable. Its entertaining at times, to listen to the person with the one of the most outdated vehicles on the forum to complain how a company just isnt up to snuff. The moment he goes out and buys a superior Malibu, Camaro, G8, Challenger or anything would be amazing to see.

Its a shame we will have to wait 3 years for some of those to hit the used lots for it to happen .

What the Fusion does have, as what I've experienced in the MKX I had for a week, is many soft touch panels throughout the cabin. Other than a hard panel in lower areas, that are hard to reach, you couldnt really find any. Can't say the same with the Escape/Mariner, or new Focus where msot of the cabin was hard plastic, BUT if you see it, you would swear it's the softer stuff, but once you touch it, you know it's the hallow hard stuff.

The F-series are regarded as having some of the best interiors in the industry and have received numerous awards because of it. The SD Series, hands down puts all the others to shame and that resonate with many other outlets who have echoed the same.

I've been in the new Malibu and the interior is refreshingly unexpected from the Mattel that GM used to design before. You have equally as many soft-touch plastic/rubber panels as you would on the Fusion. I did notice them sneak and extra panel or 2 of the hard stuff, but probably the Malibu might receive an extra point or 2 because of some other decorative trim that make it a bit more foo-foo, but also depending on the color. I've seen it in some combinations where it's lackluster. The trunk is a joke, and the claustrophobic backseat didn't help any being pinned by a scallop shape in the front seatbacks where my knees were able to reside between a 12in. crevice. In other words, backseat at Focus-like space. (acceptable for Focus, not for Malibu).

I was going to sit in one at the 2007 Houston Auto Show, but got blinded nearly to death by the acres of chrome grilled bug-eyedness.

As far as the Focus, is concerned, I don't love it nor do I hate it (appearance-wise), but it is amazing what even the smallest amount of money spent on updating an existing platform can yield.....

*cough* :redcard: 's *cough*cough*.

Pretty sure we were speaking of the SD, at least I was. The Focus is a travesty to say the least...can't wait for the, God I hope soon, replacement.

And yes money well spent would be Ford spending their money giving me a Marauder, but realistically maybe GRWD is the best bet.

But if you, or anyone else tells me that the upper trim SD has a sub-par interior than you are blind or ignorant in my opinion.

Amen Antaus...I fully agree.

Edited by MERKURXR4Ti

People who are buying vehicles are buying cheap, fuel efficient cars.

The Focus is not the best small car, but it is a good product for the price.

I just bought one and it is a nice car for the price.

Too bad Ford says they can't make money selling them. But on the other hand, they can't make money on vehicles they don't sell (i.e., larger vehicles) either.

I wish they would have prepared for thing better and had at least a couple of other smaller, efficient vehicles by now.