2008 Focus Sales Surge 36%

range

The Focus is not a pretty car but neither is the Corolla. However, its sales are up and the Corollas is down. Congratulations to Ford for adding another winner to join the Edge.

I wonder if the Focus is picking up any conquest sales...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately for P71, reality has caught up to his rants.

The market has spoken, and P71 is exposed once again.

030308_sales.jpg030308_sales.jpg

030308_sales.jpg030308_sales.jpg

Part of it is that consumers are more concerned about fuel economy and cost, because of rising gasoline prices and an imploding housing bubble. To some extent, the car is being carried by the tide...

But give Ford credit for bringing the car to market with a really nice feature - Synch - that sets the car apart and captures the interest of the younger crowd. We have a 2005 Focus SE sedan. My wife is loath to spend much on accessories, basically regarding cars as transportation and nothing more. But when she saw Synch demonstrated at the local auto show, even SHE was impressed. That is saying something.

Still, this car is a placeholder until Ford brings out the fully revamped next-generation of Focus. But at least it is selling, as Ford needs every retail sale it can get at this point.

Edited by grbeck

Part of it is that consumers are more concerned about fuel economy and cost, because of rising gasoline prices and an imploding housing bubble. To some extent, the car is being carried by the tide...

Perhaps it is riding the tide to some extent, but that theory tends to lose a little weight when the segment leader, Corolla, lost sales during the same period.

Perhaps it is riding the tide to some extent, but that theory tends to lose a little weight when the segment leader, Corolla, lost sales during the same period.

Toyota was phasing out the old model while introducing the new one, so that may have hurt sales.

Civic was up, too, if I recall correctly. Even the crappy Cobalt was up.

I like the Focus, the interior is very refreshing compared to the old one. All round improvment.

And yeah, the Fusion could use an update in the interior, but its a good car none the less. And I would hope that a car that just came out for 08 would appear to be nicer than a car that debuted in 06. Otherwise, Chev dropped the ball.

The Focus is not the best small car, but it is a good product for the price.

Bingo. It's library quiet, drives as well as a Focus ever has (which is great for a small car), the ride is nice, the fit and finish is exceptional, it's thrifty, has SYNC and it'll be reliable to boot. The only things not to like are the styling, but that's a subjective subject and the lack of hatchbacks and wagons.

Seems Canadian Focus sales are going downwards, could be lack of wagon and hatch variants.

Oct.2007 just over 1900 units

Nov.2007 just over 2000 units

Dec.2007 just over 1600 units

Jan.2008 just over 1400 units

Feb.2008 just over 1200 units

Edited by MKII

Seems Canadian Focus sales are going downwards, could be lack of wagon and hatch variants.

Oct.2007 just over 1900 units

Nov.2007 just over 2000 units

Dec.2007 just over 1600 units

Jan.2008 just over 1400 units

Feb.2008 just over 1200 units

initial launch always good #'s....2 extra years of the same breeds boredom and fresher competition, 08 restyle not too popular.....

initial launch always good #'s....2 extra years of the same breeds boredom and fresher competition, 08 restyle not too popular.....

As a comparison on average Mazda3,Cobalt and Corolla sell 3,000 units per month and the Civic is around 5,000 units per month

As a comparison on average Mazda3,Cobalt and Corolla sell 3,000 units per month and the Civic is around 5,000 units per month

WOWZERS....KILLING the focus...shame...great little car...not a fan of the 08 styling though...as you can tell by my ire.......

The Malibu is selling because when you get in the car...you can tell that somebody cared. It is not a sea of Tupperware like the Fusion/Focus/Super Duty/Expedition/Mustang/etc.

It seemed like that to me in the one I sat in (and it was a high end model as well).

Edited by rmc523

The Malibu is selling because when you get in the car...you can tell that somebody cared. It is not a sea of Tupperware like the Fusion/Focus/Super Duty/Expedition/Mustang/etc.

Really? Here's what Car & Driver said about the Malibu interior, specifically the rear seats:

the front seating area's mix of materials gives way to a sea of darkness made less inviting by the cheap-looking shiny, hard black plastic on the front seatbacks and door panels.

Sounds like Tupperware to me! :hysterical:

Edited by TomServo92