The Future of Small Trucks in America

mlhm5

Will Ford actually walk away from ~100K unit sales?

"Come 2009, Ford's decision to kill the Ranger will soon become another haunting melody from another, better time."

TTAC

Dr. Arun Jaura, at Mahindra, Ford's former Head of Vehicle Engineering for Ford's Escape Hybrid SUV has cooked up a winner for export.

A $22K, 140hp/300 lbs feet of torque, 2.2L diesel with VGT, with a towing capacity of 2600 lbs that gets 30+ mpg.

Shades of the Hilux, it's from India not Japan and will be assembled in Ohio and availble in August of 2009.

Who's Mahindra? Besides owning 25% of the Indian SUV market, they are #3 in the world in tractor unit sales and JD's #1 competitor here in the US.

2is6wzm.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't cutting the Ranger make Ford's CAFE go down quite a bit? Makes zero sense to cancel the Ranger with gas prices today, although has Ford actually said anywhere that they are indeed working on a new small truck?

Links please, I want it from the horse's mouth..

Boy: You can't treat the working man this way. One day we'll form a union and get the fair and equittable treatment we deserve. Then we'll go too far, and get corrupt and shiftless and the Japanese will eat us alive!

Mr. Burns' Grandfather: The Japanese!? Those sandal-wearing goldfish tenders? Bosh! Flimshaw!

Years Later...

Mr. Burns: If only we'd listened to that boy, instead of walling him up in the abandoned coke oven.

Wouldn't cutting the Ranger make Ford's CAFE go down quite a bit? Makes zero sense to cancel the Ranger with gas prices today, although has Ford actually said anywhere that they are indeed working on a new small truck?

That would be nice, seeing as we have already heard from the horses ass..... :hysterical:

This guy wasn't even funny from day one, I really don't understand how I keep getting warned while HE gets away with lame topics like these.

will it smell like curry or have the optional curry air freshener..i will not be buying that small truck anytime soon..like never..i would imagine it rolls of the tata assembly line as a piece of crap..cars on loan from junkyard..this truck should just head straight to the crusher

Ford has said nothing of a Ranger replacement officially. Of course, officially, they haven't said the current Ranger is going away either.

What we DO know is that Ford of Australia is heading the T6 program to develop the next global Ranger replacement. Only question remaining is whether the Mul will insist that NA get involved in the mix.

Has it been said where it will be produced? I hope they continue to produce them here in St. Paul.

Pretty sure St. Paul has been confirmed for closure at some point. My guess is it'll be piggybacked somewhere else, either Michigan Truck or wherever the next Explorer ends up.

1) there is no official word on new Ford truck - NONE - the onl thing ford has admitted is the T6 project from Australia, but that is 4 years away

2) from unofficial sources - the F100 is coming but it has been very VERY quiet around that project for a while now.

3) Ford never said they WILL cancel Ranger - they still produce them in South America - they also own the Rambler (or whatever the name was) in South America with their own small truck - Ford could just be sitting quiet until the US plant is closed and then import the Ranger from Brazil.

in any case - officially - we still do not know

Igor

1. Ford has a small pickup on the way to replace the Ranger.

2. Mahindra builds heaps of crap that won't be sold here any time soon.

3. Mlhm5 is still a fucking idiot.

080203-tom-brady-sacked-hmed-6p.h2.jpg

Ford has definately stated they will be closing the Ranger plant and TTAC assumes that's the end of the Ranger in the USA. Ford has not responded to that charge.

1) there is no official word on new Ford truck - NONE - the onl thing ford has admitted is the T6 project from Australia, but that is 4 years away

2) from unofficial sources - the F100 is coming but it has been very VERY quiet around that project for a while now.

3) Ford never said they WILL cancel Ranger - they still produce them in South America - they also own the Rambler (or whatever the name was) in South America with their own small truck - Ford could just be sitting quiet until the US plant is closed and then import the Ranger from Brazil.

in any case - officially - we still do not know

Igor

If you are right, will the Tundra be more of an American truck than the Ranger?

Ford has definately stated they will be closing the Ranger plant and TTAC assumes that's the end of the Ranger in the USA. Ford has not responded to that charge.

Ford has stated they will be closing St. Paul. They have not, however, said when. TTAC can assume whatever they want.

Is the TTAC speaking on behalf of Ford? So I guess when Ford closed Wixom that ceased the production of the Town Car too right? I mean that does follow your logic.

If you are right, will the Tundra be more of an American truck than the Ranger?

Doesn't matter they are not comparable, and from two different classes. American's know the Tundra is the weakest of the 1/2 ton truck offerings, and the ones who don't will find out shortly once the horror stories from those who bought them hit!

I can see why you are a payed blogger rather than a Toyota salesman, good thing too I hate to see anyone starve!

Will Ford actually walk away from ~100K unit sales?

2is6wzm.jpg

Dearborn Announces Surprise Small Truck Decision

04/09/2008 12:45 pm

(AP) In a surprise, reactive move today, Ford Motor Company announced plans to repurchase their 1980 Courier model tooling and stamping presses from the eastern European country of Herzegovina, with plans to reintroduce the Courier to compete with the new entry from Mahindra.

Other than the listed year, the attached marketing materials will also be recycled and reused as well.

1.jpg

NOTE: "Free Wheelin'" accent stripes and "off road" accent bar are optional. The "off road" bar is not a load bearing device, and is to not be confused with an actual vehicle rollbar intended for occupant protection.

logo_ford_driveone_white.gif

:party2:

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine