The Future of Small Trucks in America

mlhm5

I disagree, the Ranger is more than adequate for almost all truck owners who don't need a 4-seater.

Although it makes no sense to me why Ford never offered the quad-cab Ranger over here. I love my extended cab Ranger and the only thing I wished it could have is the extra room of 4 doors.

I have no use for the F-150, the Ranger can tow huge loads and fits in more places then my old 150 did.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

I'd venture to say it's the ONLY small truck still sold in NA.

Well, you do have the Colorado and Canyon...if you can consider those "trucks". I know there was talk about them getting the 5.3 V8 as an option...I wonder if it ever happened...

EDIT:...nope, never happened.

What's with these football pictures?

Our moderator being very "un-moderator" like.

Now he's probably going to start another thread about me.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

For the uneducated Aussie,

Who is Brady and what is a sack?

(not a scrotum I hope)

In the National Football League, Tom Brady is the quarterback for the Super Bowl runner-up New England (Boston metro) Patriots.

A sack is when the defense tackles the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage (imaginary line where play starts) before he can throw the ball. A sack is also recorded when the quarterback is forced to fumble the ball behind the line of scrimmage whether or not he actually goes down.

Mlhm predicted that the Patriots would have a perfect season all the way through the Super Bowl (which would have been 19-0) and that the New York Giants wouldn't give Brady any trouble at all.

For the uneducated Aussie,

Who is Brady and what is a sack?

(not a scrotum I hope)

Further amusing information:

In American football the offense has 'backs' who are behind the line of scrimmage before play starts.

In ye olden days, the backs got their names based on where they lined up behind the center.

The "fullback" was the farthest person behind the line of scrimmage on the offensive side of the ball.

The "halfback" was halfway between the line of scrimmage and the fullback.

The "quarterback" was between the halfback and the line of scrimmage (basically, he was right behind the center). The quarterback receives the snap from the center (so called because he's in the center of the offensive line) that starts the play.

These days, the formation that gave rise to those terms is no longer used, and a player called a running back lines up instead of a halfback.

Since the quarterback touches the ball on almost every play, there are a lot of terms specific to the quarterback, including:

sack tackle behind the line of scrimmage

pocket the area where the quarterback stands to pass, formed by the offensive linemen

shotgun when the quarterback stands about 2 yards behind the center before the snap (as opposed to standing directly behind the center)

drop the number of steps backward the quarterback takes before setting up to pass. Usually quarterbacks will have a 3-step drop or a 5-step drop.

hurry when a defensive player forces a quarterback to pass before he completes his drop

knockdown when a defensive player knocks down or tackles a quarterback after he has released the ball

pressure when a defensive player penetrates the pocket of offensive linemen.

scramble when the quarterback sets up to pass, but then decides to run (not a called play).

audible usually a play is sent in from the sidelines, or has been scripted in practice. When the quarterback changes the play at the line of scrimmage, this is called an audible, since he has to make sure all the offensive players can hear the team's code for that play.

Because the quarterback wears very light padding and is quite vulnerable while passing, there are rules regarding contact with the quarterback while he's 'in the pocket'. However, if the quarterback decides to run, he's fair game.

The quarterback, when he's in the pocket, cannot throw the ball away (for instance throwing it out of bounds), if he's under pressure. An incomplete pass does not cause your team to lose yards, a sack does. Therefore, the rules penalize a quarterback for trying to avoid a sack (this is called intentional grounding). If he's in the pocket. If he's scrambling, he can throw the ball away. This is to prevent him from having to take an open field hit (which are usually much harder than tackles in the pocket).

Edited by RichardJensen

Further amusing information:

In American football the offense has 'backs' who are behind the line of scrimmage before play starts.

In ye olden days, the backs got their names based on where they lined up behind the center.

The "fullback" was the farthest person behind the line of scrimmage on the offensive side of the ball.

The "halfback" was halfway between the line of scrimmage and the fullback.

The "quarterback" was between the halfback and the line of scrimmage (basically, he was right behind the center). The quarterback receives the snap from the center (so called because he's in the center of the offensive line) that starts the play.

These days, the formation that gave rise to those terms is no longer used, and a player called a running back lines up instead of a halfback.

Since the quarterback touches the ball on almost every play, there are a lot of terms specific to the quarterback, including:

sack tackle behind the line of scrimmage

pocket the area where the quarterback stands to pass, formed by the offensive linemen

shotgun when the quarterback stands about 2 yards behind the center before the snap (as opposed to standing directly behind the center)

drop the number of steps backward the quarterback takes before setting up to pass. Usually quarterbacks will have a 3-step drop or a 5-step drop.

hurry when a defensive player forces a quarterback to pass before he completes his drop

knockdown when a defensive player knocks down or tackles a quarterback after he has released the ball

pressure when a defensive player penetrates the pocket of offensive linemen.

scramble when the quarterback sets up to pass, but then decides to run (not a called play).

audible usually a play is sent in from the sidelines, or has been scripted in practice. When the quarterback changes the play at the line of scrimmage, this is called an audible, since he has to make sure all the offensive players can hear the team's code for that play.

Because the quarterback wears very light padding and is quite vulnerable while passing, there are rules regarding contact with the quarterback while he's 'in the pocket'. However, if the quarterback decides to run, he's fair game.

The quarterback, when he's in the pocket, cannot throw the ball away (for instance throwing it out of bounds), if he's under pressure. An incomplete pass does not cause your team to lose yards, a sack does. Therefore, the rules penalize a quarterback for trying to avoid a sack (this is called intentional grounding). If he's in the pocket. If he's scrambling, he can throw the ball away. This is to prevent him from having to take an open field hit (which are usually much harder than tackles in the pocket).

Wow... never imagined football was so complex. I'll stick with my suicide squeezes.

Wow... never imagined football was so complex. I'll stick with my suicide squeezes.

Because the infield fly rule is so simple and easy to explain, right? :hysterical:

I used to love baseball. Before games got like 5 hours long. I still love baseball in theory. In practice, however, I find myself like Homer on his 30 days with no beer kick, "I never realized how boring this game really is."

BTW, jpd, the forward pass was allowed in football in part because people were DYING. 19 players died in 1905 due to injuries from college football games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Am...ersy_.281905.29

And, as far as can be ascertained, American football, like hockey, was invented in Canada.

But most of the innovations that transformed it from a Rugby variant to its own sport came from Walter Camp.

===

There are also curious differences between Canadian Football, American professional football and American college football.

Because the infield fly rule is so simple and easy to explain, right? :hysterical:

I used to love baseball. Before games got like 5 hours long. I still love baseball in theory. In practice, however, I find myself like Homer on his 30 days with no beer kick, "I never realized how boring this game really is."

Well to be honest, Baseball is best enjoyed on the radio, when presented by skilled, insightful announcers. Secondly in person, and lastly on TV, where quite frankly the announcers suck. (Yes this might be different in your market).

In the National Football League, Tom Brady is the quarterback for the Super Bowl runner-up New England (Boston metro) Patriots.

A sack is when the defense tackles the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage (imaginary line where play starts) before he can throw the ball. A sack is also recorded when the quarterback is forced to fumble the ball behind the line of scrimmage whether or not he actually goes down.

Mlhm predicted that the Patriots would have a perfect season all the way through the Super Bowl (which would have been 19-0) and that the New York Giants wouldn't give Brady any trouble at all.

Aka one of the most boring games out there right behind baseball and hockey

BTW, jpd, the forward pass was allowed in football in part because people were DYING. 19 players died in 1905 due to injuries from college football games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Am...ersy_.281905.29

Rugby League is like a half way step between the original Rugby and American football.

We don't have the rucks and mauls of Rugby and we have six tackle rule like American football.

What has been learned to speed the game up is when the ball is played after a tackle,

the defensive team must be back 10 metres/yards and a strong "off side" rule enforced.

Without "off side" and the ensuing penalties, players can get seriously hurt.

On a different note,

Edited by jpd80

Dearborn Announces Surprise Small Truck Decision

04/09/2008 12:45 pm

(AP) In a surprise, reactive move today, Ford Motor Company announced plans to repurchase their 1980 Courier model tooling and stamping presses from the eastern European country of Herzegovina, with plans to reintroduce the Courier to compete with the new entry from Mahindra.

Other than the listed year, the attached marketing materials will also be recycled and reused as well.

1.jpg

NOTE: "Free Wheelin'" accent stripes and "off road" accent bar are optional. The "off road" bar is not a load bearing device, and is to not be confused with an actual vehicle rollbar intended for occupant protection.

logo_ford_driveone_white.gif

:party2:

-Ovaltine

You mean the truck that Mazda built for Ford? I would like a link to this BS story please... :redcard:

Yes, but is that the "means" or the "end"?

I personally don't really see the point, except to give otherwise supportive forums a negative slant for new visitors.

Also, if true why wouldn't such a person be banned immediately?

On most forums they are. We're (a bit too) tolerant here at BON.