4 cylinder EcoBoost in a F150?

timmm55

What a concept. Small dispacement, boosted engine that gets better fuel mileage than a larger, naturally aspirated engine. Oh wait, my 89 T-bird SC came from the factory with a 3.8L V6 with an Eaton supercharger and it easily gets 26-28 mpg highway in a nearly 4000 lb chassis.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

turbo 4 in an F150?

won't happen anytime soon.

why? turbo engines by design have a shorter life expectancy than NA engines do.

a turbo 4 would be required to have the turboes going on too often and the engine to rev too high too often.

No fuel savings and an engine that will die after 100k

turbo 4 in an F150?

won't happen anytime soon.

why? turbo engines by design have a shorter life expectancy than NA engines do.

a turbo 4 would be required to have the turboes going on too often and the engine to rev too high too often.

No fuel savings and an engine that will die after 100k

Diesel turbos are reliable. But diesels do not rev as high and I think their turbos run cooler.

Edited by battyr

If you look at the 2009 F150 engine line up, all three engines get about 18/20 mpg city/highway.

In heavier vehicles, weight controls fuel economy more than engine size - EB V6 is a must.

Ecoboost I-4 is more likely to turn up in something smaller like Ranger or its replacement.

I would expect a 2.3 litre with about 230 hp and 230 torque, forget 280 hp 2.0 - that's market spin.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My initial thoughts are that even the regular non-turbo 2.5L would work as a base engine with the right gearing... after all, it makes way more power than the base 300 CID I6 that was used in the 1980s.

But then again, that engine made almost 100lb-ft more torque. Also the new F150 weighs about an extra 1100 pounds more than the F150 of the 1980s.

Factoring the extra weight and the added popularity of 4wd, realistically, you need a base engine that has HP/torque ratings of at least 240/260.

As long as an EB 2.5L meets or exceeds that spec, it's probably doable.

The Duratec 37 is probably doable as well.

Not sure if an EB 2.5L makes more sense than a Duratec 37 in terms of fuel economy or cost.

i say how about a 2 cyl echoboost engine with 50hp. remember most personal use f-150s are used to tow only groceries from super walmart or sams club. Their really is not much of a true need unless you need to tow a 50 pound bag of dog food. Lets face it people need to reconsider their car choice. MPG figures are the new sexy in thing, not the size of your engine or your 0-60 times. Unless you brag about how long it take to get to 60. that is well yours does it in 10 seconds but mine does it in 13 seconds, so mine is better because it take 13 seconds and uses less polution then yours.

MPG figures are the new sexy in thing, not the size of your engine or your 0-60 times. Unless you brag about how long it take to get to 60. that is well yours does it in 10 seconds but mine does it in 13 seconds, so mine is better because it take 13 seconds and uses less polution then yours.

It's 10:00PM on a Friday night. An Insight glides up to a stop light next to a Fusion Hybrid. The Insight owner glances at the guy in the Ford. The Fusion owner nods. The light goes green.

Both cars inch forward...

< "38 MPG!"

> "40!"

< "41!!"

All of a sudden, a horn lets out a large "WHOOOP!", as the cop sitting behind the Honda gets tired of waiting.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't heard of a V-8 Eco-Boost any reason why not?

The 6.2L does in just the F-250 and bigger trucks why is that?

A v-8 has the extra cost of 2 extra injectors. I would think it would be a limited market.

In a 6.2L you might be talking about 700 hp. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So the MPG is so bad on it that it can't even compete with the other trucks on the market that have a larger engine?

Ford obviously does not think the 6.2L is "required" to be competitive in the F150. They have never offer the V10 in the F150.

And yes, the fuel economy on the 6.2L in NOT spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would get ridiculed... Even if it could do the work, and do it well... I think it would be shunned by truckers because it has a very small engine. I think Ford should make this engine and stick it in the new ranger(if we ever get it/get one)

Displacement is expected to be around 3.5-liters, with output estimated at around 350 hp and 390 lb.-ft. of torque. Partnered with a new six-speed transmission, fuel economy should be around 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway

Why not instead the coming Ford Territory 3 litre diesel V6 with 35 mpg and 442 lb/ft and 275 hp? It´s already in production. It seems like a good mileage ?

California emission standards?

Edited by StevenCaylor

Just so you know where ford intends to go....

the 2.5 liter Eco-boost engine makes an estimated 280HP and equal amount of torque, but the Ethenol injected EB 2.5 makes closer to 320HP and again with a mountain of torque.

So I can fully believe Ford would place a 300+HP 4 cylinder in the F150