Driven: Fords New Fiesta

ANTAUS

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to beat the Prius with a small diesel;

We drove the 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi, the flagship model, which features a 1.6-liter inline-4 turbocharged diesel that offers 89 horsepower and 150 pound-feet of torque. This familiar engine features a Bosch common-rail injection operating at 1,600 bar, and it's been refined for this new application in the Fiesta. It is impressively smooth and although the 0-60-mph sprint of 11.9 seconds is no better than adequate, the in-gear acceleration is impressive. Ford claims acceleration from 50 km/h to 100 km/h (31-62 mph) in 9.9 seconds, notably faster than the 10.8-second performance of the Fiesta's gasoline-fueled 1.6-liter inline-4.

This turbodiesel engine's primary appeal lies in its economy. It manages 67.3 mpg as a European average, compared with 65.7 mpg for a Toyota Prius. Its carbon dioxide emissions are excellent, too (110 g/km versus 104 for the Toyota) and there's an Econetic version on its way that emits under 100 g/km.

In Europe there is also a 67-hp 1.4-liter turbodiesel as well as a range of gasoline engines that includes a 59-hp 1.3-liter, an 80-hp 1.3-liter turbo and a 95-hp 1.4 liter. The premium gasoline engine is the all-new 118-hp 1.6 Ti-VCT that features variable valve timing for both the intake and exhaust cams. More powerful versions are likely to follow, although there hasn't been a high-performance Fiesta since the RS Turbo of 1992.

The beginning of the dumbing-down for NA is that the heart of the car, the flagship engines, will not be coming here.

The beginning of the dumbing-down for NA is that the heart of the car, the flagship engines, will not be coming here.

In the U.K., our test car costs about $24,000 at today's exchange rates.

Be fair, Ford can't bring in this engine with its associated costs, and sell this car at its expected price range.

I love how they characterize the 11.9 sec. 0-60 time as 'barely adequate'. In fact, it's entirely unacceptable for this market------------

Unless you like getting into accidents on on-ramps.

11.9 seconds was more than acceptable a few years ago, and is certainly acceptable compared to some of the things on the road in Europe.

Fair? What does a transit connect retail for in Britain vs. here?

US emissions standards are significantly tougher than Euro standards. Therefore, this diesel engine would need significant additional emissions controls.

By contrast, an ecoboost engine may be able to come within shooting distance of the diesel numbers, for significantly less coin.

(IMHO)Fact is, the car will likely feature the 1.6L I4 TiVCT delivering something between 110 and 115 hp. It fits better with the total lineup, its about where the competition is in the power to weight range, it will still deliver decent MPG (about where the Focus is in its respective class when compared to its rivals). All in all, it will be a competitive car when mechanicals and interior are considered. I just am curious as to what the " small changed to the front fascia" will really amount to. that design is riding the edge of looking good vs. looking bad already. If they have to extend a full bumper across it, or redo the grill in a major way, it could look ugly in a hurry.

11.9 seconds was more than acceptable a few years ago, and is certainly acceptable compared to some of the things on the road in Europe.

Seriously.

Am I the only one here who remembers driving cars built between 1978 and 1988? A 12-second 0-60 time was a dream come true for some of those heaps. Yet I don't recall ever having merging problems on highway ramps.

1) 12 second 0-60 was barely acceptable a decade ago. Now it's downright dangerous. Unless you live in the land of half-mile long on-ramps and incredibly polite drivers. It's not so much a question of what was acceptable 10 years ago, as it is a question of what is acceptable in terms of today's fleet.

2) Edmunds wrote that with the US in view, not Europe. 12 seconds may be fine and dandy in Europe (I have my doubts), but it sure ain't here. I would consider 10 seconds to be 'barely acceptable' today.

Seriously.

Am I the only one here who remembers driving cars built between 1978 and 1988? A 12-second 0-60 time was a dream come true for some of those heaps. Yet I don't recall ever having merging problems on highway ramps.

Not to mention...how many people are actually doing 60 by the time they reach the end of the on-ramp? Not many...people would rather accelerate once they are on the actual highway.

Personally, I move over and blow past them...it makes no difference to me how slow their car is.

Ok, lets play the P game.................

Name all of the diesel cars currently available in the US. Please list price and fuel economy.

If you list one car that is "coming" then you are disqualified based on your own hypocrisy.

LOL Dean................ we both posted at the same time.

Edited by Extreme4x4

Seriously.

Thats because you didn't feel safe going much over 65 or 70 in those heaps...plus the speed limit was lower back then.