Recommend me a compact truck

I am considering buying a small truck:

- fuel efficient

- seats 5 comfortably (double-crew-cab)

- tows 2000 lbs

- I would buy new or near-new

I am coming up with GM's Colorado/Canyon on top ..

any other suggestions?

(Ranger is in the running in its Mexican Form .. but it is a distant chance .. ;( )

Igor

If you want fuel economy, quality and comfortable seating for 5, maybe you should also consider full size trucks. The fuel economy penalty is only about 10%, but the truck is much better in every way.

If you don't need the bed, a small CUV would be able to provide for your towing needs with better comfort and fuel economy.

If you just wanted it for towing the new Kuga will pull 2,100 lbs and it returns 44.8 MPG (37.3 US) Average combined and 53.3 MPG (44.4 US) at a constant 56 MPH which is a lot better than a 28 MPG gas guzzling Ranger.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/ve...ls.asp?id=20694

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Recommend me a compact truck, No Ranger ;)

Kind of an odd request at a FORD site, eh?

OK how about a Mazda? :happy feet:

(Ranger is in the running in its Mexican Form .. but it is a distant chance .. ;( )

Aren't they made in the Twin Cities? You can't get the South of the Border version here.

Igor, your caught inbetween a full size and mid size with your requirments it seems. The way I look at these things and believe me I have given it a lot of thought. The small or mid size trucks make sense if you just need a 4 cylinder engine and a stripped down truck. However, when you go to a double cab and start adding options you gain very little over a full size in the way of cost and fuel mileage.

Personally, I would go for a silverado with a 5.3. 15/20 rated mpg by the 08 standards and you wont do much better with a tacoma or dakota. The coly/canyon trucks have had all sorts of problems with heads and from reading their forums they are not the best built piece. Personally, I would not even consider one of them. Maybe they have corrected those problems by now but they did not seem as reliable as the tacoma or dakota.

A silverado wont cost you anymore than a tacoma and you will have a lot more truck in the end. The rebates right now should at least make you take a look at them as you can deal on a Ford or Chevy but the arrogant Yota dealers are harder to deal with in my experience.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

How big are your 5 people? How do you define comfortable? A Colorado/Canyon cab take 2 good size adults (6 foot, 200 to 220 pounds) in the front and 2 "midsize" adults in the back with reasonable comfort. I can say the same for the Tacoma. Dakota is probably as small as you would want to go if you want a useful bed. If cargo is small, a Sport Trac is a good option, probably the best option for the passengers.

Isn't the Silverado just a few inches bigger? Why even bother with Colorado or Canyon if you got to carry 5 adults?

How big are your 5 people? How do you define comfortable? A Colorado/Canyon cab take 2 good size adults (6 foot, 200 to 220 pounds) in the front and 2 "midsize" adults in the back with reasonable comfort. I can say the same for the Tacoma. Dakota is probably as small as you would want to go if you want a useful bed. If cargo is small, a Sport Trac is a good option, probably the best option for the passengers.

Well, being the Ranger (Mazada) are the only true compact trucks left, that would be my choice. But neither seats 5 people.

Mid-Size Crew Cab trucks, In order I'd look are: Tacoma, Sport-Trac, Frontier, Dakota then Colorado/Canyon. Keep in mind the rear of the Frontier and Colorado/Canyon look and feel smaller than the rear of the other three trucks.

Personally, the Mid-Size Crews aren't that comfortable with two adults and three kids, let alone five adults. When buying my '06 F150, I looked at these mid-size trucks, but they didn't provide much room for the three kids in the back.

I'd opt for a full size if I was in your situation and seating five comfortably is a requirement. Sure the mid-size will fit 5 and will tow 2K lbs, but for those sitting in the back they won't enjoy the ride. I compare sitting 3 in the back of these mid-size to my wifes '04 Altima. Sure we've done it, but it isn't pleasent.

So I think you're in between a rock & a hard place. Sure a compact/mid-size will get you the towing requirement and the crews will provide the 5 passenger ability. Just depends on how comfortable you want those rear passenger.

Guess the big question is, how often will you be hauling 5 people? If it's only once in a while, a mid-size should do just fine. If it's like me and almost an everyday occurance, then mid-size may not be your best option.

Let us know which way you go.

re Mexican Ranger - Ranger in Mexico is offered in true crew cab - made in Argentina

re "No Ranger" - see above - unless we decide to deal with the hassle of havinga car registered in Mexico ... it is out - we are not big on jump seats ..

The problem with other choices is that Crew Cab is V6 only i.e. 20mph HWY - that way I truly could just get a full size truck ...

but I really want something smaller - more efficient ...

maybe I will wait for a few years and see what comes out.

Igor

Anything smaller than a full-size, and you will not carry five people comfortably. Mid-size trucks have just about the same fuel economy as a full size anyway.

You can get a great deal on a full sized truck right now, no matter what manufacturer you choose. Why wait?

I have a friend who has a 08 Frontier. Comfortable and easy to drive. Manouverablilty is alright but hey it's a truck. Powerful and can haul but I don't know about fuel consumption. Space is good for 4 adults, 5 is a little tight but hey, it's a compact truck. Speaking of compact trucks, this Frontier is not so compact compare to the old Rangers, 4 Runners, 1st gen. Dakotas for example. All trucks including the compacts have gotten bigger.

re Mexican Ranger - Ranger in Mexico is offered in true crew cab - made in Argentina

re "No Ranger" - see above - unless we decide to deal with the hassle of havinga car registered in Mexico ... it is out - we are not big on jump seats ..

The problem with other choices is that Crew Cab is V6 only i.e. 20mph HWY - that way I truly could just get a full size truck ...

maybe I will wait for a few years and see what comes out.

Igor

That's probably your best bet right now. then again you can get some great trucks for cheap right now. Decisions, decisions.

Anything smaller than a full-size, and you will not carry five people comfortably. Mid-size trucks have just about the same fuel economy as a full size anyway.

You can get a great deal on a full sized truck right now, no matter what manufacturer you choose. Why wait?

True. Mid-Size truck won't be too comfortable with 5 adults. In CrewCab form, I'm sure they drink gas about as well as the Full-Size.

I would definitely recommend a Nissan Frontier, but then again, you want good fuel economy, and well, that isn't the Nissan. If you bit the bullet on gas though, you could get a Frontier with the DI 261HP VQ and a six-speed manual trans (which is loads of fun, BTW). The interior isn't anything to write home about, but definitely worth a test drive.

And while I agree that you could go full-size and get a lot more for your money with minimal investment, not everyone likes big trucks. I worked in Santa Monica/Venice for a spell, and just finding a place I COULD park my F150 was a chore. Tiny, low-clearance parking garages, small parking spaces, and idiot drivers (errr...parkers) made anything long wheelbase a chore to travel in. Hell, last month I visited a client in Burbank and I couldn't fit my Xterra through the entrance of their underground parking.

BTW, I was fairly excited about the Colorado when it first came out until I drove one of the 5-cylinder versions. That engine is a dog. The four-banger might be ok, though. I didn't have a chance to check it out.

Edited by the_spaniard

Had a 2002 Dakota V6 and a 2006 Colorado I5 as company trucks. I liked them both, but the Colorado was MUCH nicer in all driving situations. Can't speak to comfort for 5 but I'd recomend the Colorado for all of your other specs.

Prior to the Dakota, I had an S-10 V6. Biggest POS I've ever had the displeasure of driving. I can't think one good thing about that truck.