mazda to stop using ford credit

blazerdude20

Mazda and Ford are less dependent on each other and are no longer developing technology together. I don't think Ford will have any other choice than to sell off its remaining stake in Mazda.

Talk about ingratitude, they fix up their and company and all they can manage to say is "kthxbai!".

Ingrateful Japs.

Chase is probably the only bank on Wall Street right now with decent access to credit. Maybe BoA and Wells Fargo. Maybe. But WF exited the auto finance business a while back, I think.

Anyway, I don't think this is preparation for a spin-off since retail financing is about the least consideration when it comes to designing, engineering, manufacturing, distributing, and selling a vehicle. Heck. Jaguar and Land Rover are probably still using Primus (the branch of FMCC that Mazda also used).

As to Aston Martin? Well, if you have to ask about financing, you can't afford one.

Mazda and Ford are less dependent on each other and are no longer developing technology together. I don't think Ford will have any other choice than to sell off its remaining stake in Mazda.

How why would they be forced to sell? Even if Mazda walked away from all of Ford's platforms why wold Ford have to sell?

I know this is not relevent to this thread but where did you get that? AFAIK, that is not the case regarding the tech sharing.

Christ..where do some of you get this bad information?

Ford and Mazda don't share technology anymore????...

Ford is trying to improve FMC's balance sheet and at the same time making sure that Mazda has the best availability of credit for both floor plans and customers...FMC is going to concentrate on Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brands.

people why do you always think the worse, what Mazda its doing its making a businees decision that will benefit the customers since it will be cheaper for you to finance a car since Chase has a better rating than Ford Credit

I just saw a TV spot for Mazda6 advertsing a lease rate of $179/month with $2600 down. Not a bad deal and better lease rate than what Ford offers on Fusion I4. Looks like the change is already providing dividends.

Christ..where do some of you get this bad information?

Ford and Mazda don't share technology anymore????...

Ford is trying to improve FMC's balance sheet and at the same time making sure that Mazda has the best availability of credit for both floor plans and customers...FMC is going to concentrate on Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brands.

Don't share technology? Bullshit. The new drivetrain Escape shares drivetrain with new Tribute. The Mazda 6 with new 2.5L I4 and 6 speed auto shares it with 2010 Fusion I4 and looks like new 3.7L V6 is shared also. Last I looked, the new Mazda 6 is still built in same factory as Mustang. They share a lot and no changes whatsoever.

Don't share technology? Bullshit. The new drivetrain Escape shares drivetrain with new Tribute. The Mazda 6 with new 2.5L I4 and 6 speed auto shares it with 2010 Fusion I4 and looks like new 3.7L V6 is shared also. Last I looked, the new Mazda 6 is still built in same factory as Mustang. They share a lot and no changes whatsoever.

The CX-9 and Edge also share their front end architecture.

And I believe Mazda's 3.7 is different from Ford/Lincoln's 3.7.

Edited by rmc523

Yeah I don't see how Mazda could walk away from Ford and survive. They would lose access to engines and transmissions, and safety copy rights. Plus they would have to ask Ford to buy out AAI, or buy Ford out. Really this is a pretty silly idea. Borg is pretty dumb.

The CX-9 and Edge also share their front end architecture.

And I believe Mazda's 3.7 is different from Ford/Lincoln's 3.7.

In what way? I was looking at sticker on new Mazda6 with new 3.7L V6 and it has same hp rating as MKS and very similar EPA ratings. Looks like same engine to me. Fuel mileage and hp rating are pretty much identical. The Mazda 6 gets one extra mpg probably because it's a smaller vehicle.

It doesn't surprise me, FMCC's rates are typically 3 points higher than any other bank's auto loans. Even their "incentivised" rates are just barely on par with what I can get my customers going through other banks. Couple that with their HORRIBLE lease programs, and it doesn't pay to use them. GM and Chrysler have done away with leasing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford follow suit. They pretty much have. I haven't leased any cars to customers lately. They can go to Honda, Toyota, etc. and be hundreds of dollars less per month on a comparable vehicle. The Fusion has the best lease through Ford now, and the Nissan is about $150/mo. cheaper. Toyota's Camry lease is about $100/mo. less, and even with my employee discount, I can lease a Camry for $60/mo. less. Makes it pretty hard to sell these cars when we're that far out of whack. We don't really use Ford Credit on loans either. Why would I when I have to give the customer my buy rate to be competitive, whereas I can go through another bank, hold 2-3 points, and make the dealership money? Mazda is probibly just looking after their bottom line, like everyone else when times get tough.

Edited by chiefstang

I think a lot of you are jumping to conclusions.....

Maybe Ford Credit tightened the belt so much that Mazda felt as if it would be better to go without an outside creditor.

Maybe Ford Credit could not extend credit lines that Mazda wanted.

Maybe, Maybe, Maybe......

You are right,tightening access to capital is the main reason for the move,Mazda will get their own funding from Chase. The sky is not falling....just a business decision For FMCC to fund Ford dealers.

Edited by ironhorse