GM & Chrysler Merger

Alright, that's it. You are OUT OF HERE. I have completely had my fill of your crap. Your incessant need to make every topic revolve around you. As I've said before, you had exactly one friend among the moderators on this forum, me, and you've just burned that bridge. This is the last thread you derail. Until your banning is official, every post you make will be removed.

You're done. Kiss your nickname, your sorryass avatar, and your smug little signature goodbye. You are DONE. Toast. Gone. Sayonara. Adios. Don't let the back door hit you where the good lord split you, P.

What I'm trying to say is this: Welcome to dumpsville, P, population YOU.

Holy freaking light. MP Burst/10.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, that's it. You are OUT OF HERE. I have completely had my fill of your crap. Your incessant need to make every topic revolve around you. As I've said before, you had exactly one friend among the moderators on this forum, me, and you've just burned that bridge. This is the last thread you derail. Until your banning is official, every post you make will be removed.

You're done. Kiss your nickname, your sorryass avatar, and your smug little signature goodbye. You are DONE. Toast. Gone. Sayonara. Adios. Don't let the back door hit you where the good lord split you, P.

What I'm trying to say is this: Welcome to dumpsville, P, population YOU.

Wrong move. :shades:

I can't see a GMChrysler company working, too many products will be competing with each other. GM already has this problem as it has too many divisions. If the deal happens, Pontiac, Saturn, GMC, Buick and Hummer will be gone.

A GMChrysler line up will be, Cadillac, Chrysler, Chevrolet, Jeep and Dodge.

So will Ford be lift out in the cold? GM has the Volt and Chrysler has the ZEO (or something like that), both electric cars.

Ford may be forced to merge with someone, if anyone, I hope its VW.

A FordVW would be good for both companies.

A FordVW line-up, Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini, Audi, Volvo, Ford, VW, Mazda and Skoda. The rest of their companies will be dead.

FordVW will become the largest automobile company in the word by volume.

1) FordVW

2) GMChrysler

3) Toyota (boo hoo, it breaks my heart)

Just my two cents.

A FordVW would be good for both companies.

A FordVW line-up, Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini, Audi, Volvo, Ford, VW, Mazda and Skoda. The rest of their companies will be dead.

FordVW will become the largest automobile company in the word by volume.

Interesting. For that to happen, Porsche would have to sell its controlling ownership share. Otherwise, it's a Ford-Porsche deal. And compared to the Ford family, the Porsche clan are upstarts.

But like Cerebrus with Chrysler, the learning experience of running VW/AUDI may make the Porsche gang think again.

Edited by Edstock

Interesting. For that to happen, Porsche would have to sell its controlling ownership share. Otherwise, it's a Ford-Porsche deal. And compared to the Ford family, the Porsche clan are upstarts.

But like Cerebrus with Chrysler, the learning experience of running VW/AUDI may make the Porsche gang think again.

I just don't see Dr Piech sharing the mantle of power with Big Al and Billy Jr.

That man is such an ego trip, he makes Ghosn look like a committee member.

GM has too many brands now. Is GM trying to get Chrysler, or just getting rid of the competition? Giving consumers less choice of an American auto companies.

It looks to me like the idea is probably to get rid of the competition and excess capacity.

One plan: GM may absorb Chrysler

Possible scenario would eliminate rival, reduce excess capacity; pact similar to AMC purchase.

David Shepardson, Christine Tierney and Alisa Priddle / The Detroit News

General Motors Corp. could swallow Chrysler LLC and end the Auburn Hills automaker's 83-year existence under one scenario being discussed by GM and Chrysler's owner, Cerberus Capital Management LP, said a source briefed on the talks.

Such a deal, similar to Chrysler's 1987 acquisition of American Motors Corp., would allow GM to pick up some of Chrysler's 2.7 million in annual sales -- while avoiding the bulk of Chrysler's costs, the source said.

GM, Cerberus and Chrysler all declined to comment.

Read more at the link...

Also this whole deal might be moving faster then we think...

General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC are accelerating merger discussions amid strong support from potential lenders that are eager to see a deal done.

GM, set to report dismal third-quarter earnings in coming weeks and scrambling to find new sources of funding, is aiming to get a deal done as early as the end of October, according to people familiar with the matter.

Link: http://www.cnbc.com//id/27228423?__s...t%7C&par=yahoo

It sounds like this all might be going down soon. Looks like we will be down to the Big 2 after all. I guess if 1 of the 3 has to be sacrificed so that the better 2 can survive then that is what has to happen. It will be very interesting to see if this is going to work for GM.

I bet Ford is quietly cheering this whole Chrysler buyout in their board meetings right now. I don't see how it won't benefit them to get a large reduction in US auto capacity and they don't have to spend a penny on it. Let GM do the work for them. They just need to make sure they are ready with the right products to pick up those people who still want to drive domestic, but don't want to drive GM.

pacman_thumb_opt.jpg

Edited by 2005Explorer

Rumor has it, that GM will bring back the Plymouth brand name back! :hysterical:

Maybe they should also bring DeSoto back while they are at it. They could have all kinds of brands to sell then!

Honestly if this merger happens I think most Chrysler brands and vehicles will be killed off. I am not sure how they will handle the dealers, but they will not be making vehicles that target the same market on separate platforms. The whole idea of a merger is to reduce competition and cut costs. GM platforms will be used except for the minivan and possibly the full size LX platform. Jeep will probably be the only surviving name plate unless GM decides to replace one of their name plates with either Dodge or Chrysler. If the merger goes through I predict the Dodge Ram to be put down or to replace GMC as a Chevy Silverado rebadge. Will they replace the Duramax with the Cummins? I guess that depends if the engine is part of the merger.

Anyway you look at it Chrysler will be dead as we know it. What will happen to Chryslers customers? I assume some will go with GM at that point and some will go to the Japanese brands, however there will be a large opening in market share that Ford can get if they have the right products. By the time this whole thing goes down and the shake out is over Ford will have some great new products on the market.

Some have said this merger will kill Ford. I don't think it will. In fact I feel that Ford has the most to gain by GM taking on Chrysler. It helps reduce capacity and brings production more in line with demand. I hate to see Chrysler get killed, but if it means that a far superior US automaker like Ford can survive then I am all for it.

If this happens and GM essentially kills Chrysler, I will never, ever, purchase a GM product ever. All Ford now. And if Ford doesn't have what I want I will switch to German (never Jap!)

Not that I have ever owned a Chrysler - mostly all Ford. This just reeks tho from what I am reading here.

Edited by 96 Pony

GM wants to get Chryslers billions, and their share of the Fed loan. That is all. Then they will pick and choose what they want of the pickings....... and kill the rest.

To kill Chrysler, to get their money and some of their customers is just wrong. It just reeks of the type of corporate raiders we had from the 80's.

If anyone thinks that Mopar fans are going to buy any GM products, after GM assimilates and destroys Chrysler........... then you are in for a surprise. It will be just the opposite. They will never buy a GM, based on what GM is doing to Chrysler.

Ford stands to come out the best in this, as ex Chrysler buyers will buy Fords, just to spite GM.

GM wants to get Chryslers billions, and their share of the Fed loan. That is all. Then they will pick and choose what they want of the pickings....... and kill the rest.

To kill Chrysler, to get their money and some of their customers is just wrong. It just reeks of the type of corporate raiders we had from the 80's.

If anyone thinks that Mopar fans are going to buy any GM products, after GM assimilates and destroys Chrysler........... then you are in for a surprise. It will be just the opposite. They will never buy a GM, based on what GM is doing to Chrysler.

Ford stands to come out the best in this, as ex Chrysler buyers will buy Fords, just to spite GM.

Cosign. People will switch to Ford or a foreign product.

Some have said this merger will kill Ford. I don't think it will. In fact I feel that Ford has the most to gain by GM taking on Chrysler. It helps reduce capacity and brings production more in line with demand. I hate to see Chrysler get killed, but if it means that a far superior US automaker like Ford can survive then I am all for it.

You do raise some good points, 2005Expy, but I don't think the LX platform has a chance-- GM's Zeta is the mechanically-superior of the two. Chrysler's minivans, however, will probably stick around in some guise...

As for brands? I think it would be possible to keep Dodge and Chrysler, only if they REPLACE Pontiac, GMC, and Buick. Let's face it, both Dodge and Chrysler have far better brand equity than those 3. This may be an attractive choice for GM, since it would allow them to consolidate 5 brands into two, hypothetically.

With the Big 3, the market for domestic autos is saturated-- with fewer people buying new vehicles, even the Japanese are likely to feel the crunch. The problem is, the imports are better-off financially than the Big 3. So, one of the 3 will have to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. I'm just glad it wasn't Ford.

If things are as bad with all of the Detroit automakers as everyone says they are maybe they should just consider a 3 way merger GM-Ford-Chrysler into the all new American Motors Corporation.

I remember a cartoon in a car magazine many many years ago.....it showed a factory with a sign on the front that read, "GeneralCryFord" and mused about increased competition as a reason why it happened....I laughed at that notion 20+ years ago....it seems to be coming to fruition.

You do raise some good points, 2005Expy, but I don't think the LX platform has a chance-- GM's Zeta is the mechanically-superior of the two. Chrysler's minivans, however, will probably stick around in some guise...

As for brands? I think it would be possible to keep Dodge and Chrysler, only if they REPLACE Pontiac, GMC, and Buick. Let's face it, both Dodge and Chrysler have far better brand equity than those 3. This may be an attractive choice for GM, since it would allow them to consolidate 5 brands into two, hypothetically.

With the Big 3, the market for domestic autos is saturated-- with fewer people buying new vehicles, even the Japanese are likely to feel the crunch. The problem is, the imports are better-off financially than the Big 3. So, one of the 3 will have to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. I'm just glad it wasn't Ford.

Exactly what I have been thinking. Buick and Pontiac blow compared to Chrysler/Dodge in NA, IMHO. Overlap would need to be taken care of. GMC - why does it even still exist? It is GM's Mercury.

The LX platforms do have a following, so I wouldn't immediately discount them even tho Zeta may be superior.

A Chevy, Saturn, Dodge, Chrysler, Cadillac lineup I would not have a problem with.

I wonder what legal provisions might exist with regard to Chrysler's dealers. I suppose it would depend on how a deal might be structured, but both GM and Chrysler have far too many dealers and any combination of those two organizations would need to kill off a big number of dealerships to be viable going forward.

Wagoner at GM has never really demonstrated his prowess as the top guy, and as far as I'm concerned, if GM does this, it just cements his legacy as a mediocre manager, at best. Mullaly was very sage to avoid a tieup with GM or Chrysler - he has all the resources necessary in Ford's worldwide organization, if the economy doesn't torpedo everything in its path first.

Edited by Harley Lover

To the posters ranting on GM, point your wrath at the deserving parties. This goes back to hack number one, Bob Eaton, who sold Chrysler down the river to Mercedes and floated away to Florida with his golden parachute. Next in line would be the managers at Mercedes, who munched at the trough of Chrysler's income in the years while Mercedes was performing poorly, then sold Chrysler off to Cerberus with a bare product cupboard. And finally, the wipes at Cerberus, who entered claiming all things great and wonderful ("We're in this for the long haul!"), when of course everyone familiar with them knew they were financial buzzards looking to part it out and make as much money as possible. I don't think it's really fair to GM to lay this at their feet - they're just looking to make a good deal and improve their prospects for survival - which of course should mean that they wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole.

I truly feel for the workers in the path of this debacle, but the only realistic thing to do is get out on the market and find something else. The era of long term employment has been over for some time (unless you work for the government), so it's time to leave on your terms and do what you can for your family.