BORG

2010 Milan Verdict  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the 2010 Milan?

• Absolutely!
    • Sorta!
    • I can't tell the difference!
    • This is crap! Give me the Fusion!

Well, here she is, no formal introduction needed now, you can see it all here.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercury-milan-hybrid.html

Yeah, I don't like it. Not one bit. It looks considerably downscale from the previous one. The whole front end looks too small for the rest of the car too, sort of like they took the front third a B-car and melded it with the back 2/3 of a C/D-car. I don't even like the revisions to the rear. Ford has yet to discover that trunk openings don't need to look completely conspicuous in a vehicle's design.

Edited by NickF1011

I love the new fascia, but it barely looks different in the real world setting. Like the Fusion, I'm not so sure about the rear-end update, it doesn't really look better.

The real problem is the body design which looked fairly mundane when it debuted, now it's simply too old and lacks the craftsmanship you see on the competition (Malibu, Camry, Accord, etc..). The car really needs a reskin, especially since we are still looking at a long haul before we see the all new replacement.

Edited by BORG

:headscratch:

Upon side by side comparison the refresh immediately dates the current model on the road today. From certain angles it appears that the front end is too modern while the rest of the vehicle looks dated, but from others it appears just fine. The LA Autoshow can't come fast enough, because I really need to see these vehicles in person as I am on the fence.

Seing these pics, it really looks like all three of them (Fusion, Milan, MKZ) will be a bit shorter, based on the lack of bumper overhangs. I guess that explains the new "bumper beams" in the order guides. The Milan esp. looks very Euro in its almost lack of bumper over hangs. I really like the new tail, the lights esp look very clean and neat!

its fucking ugly
Tru 'dat.

I still say it looks kinda like a Sentra banged a Prius, and came up with some wasp nosed, big assed mutant baby.

How can that low hood/high decklid line be confused with a nice line?

Nothing flows. I just hope the overall lines on the Fusion don't look that disproportionate.

Well, here she is, no formal introduction needed now, you can see it all here.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercury-milan-hybrid.html

Except the interior.....I wonder if it's still a rebadge of Fusion (w/ slightly different colors, etc).

----

On a side note, I hate LLN's new picture format....I'm glad they got rid of the separate page photos thing they started to do after redesigning the website, but now you can only see the first 3 (of in this case 8) pictures, as they pop up in a window with the article page darkened in the background. Has anybody else figured out how to see the rest of those images?

I liked the original format, where thy had thumbnails of all the pictures at the bottom of the page, and you could choose which one you wanted to see.

I will have to wait until I see it in person because the same happened when I first watched the F150 photos, I didnt like it but when I got the opportunity to see the truck in person I really like it a lot and you can see the changes they did

I voted "sorta" for that exact reason. I'd like to see the car in person before I fully decide. It looks better to me today than it did yesterday for some reason. Maybe it's the bigger picture.

Edited by rmc523

I think the upper bright work is a bit extraneous.

Other than that I think it's very well balanced. (Someone saif they thought the lights were too small? I HATE the bug eyed look of some recent cars. For a conservative midsized sedan

I like O[====}O ).

Hopefully there will be a series with less (my preference, whatever happened to subtlety?) or no upper trim.

If that's the case I give it a solid thumbs up (for a refresh mind you).

post-19198-1225436800_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

Tim, you're on a roll! Both of yours are improvementsbiggrin.gif

&

as I've said you-know-where,

they should be putting the (trim) emphasis on the bottom of the grille = "the Mercury Smile"

(oh & still think waterfalls should 'fall' straight down - leave the angled slats to Lincoln)

&

...On a side note, I hate LLN's new picture format....I'm glad they got rid of the separate page photos thing they started to do after redesigning the website, but now you can only see the first 3 (of in this case 8) pictures, as they pop up in a window with the article page darkened in the background. Has anybody else figured out how to see the rest of those images?

using Firefox instead of IE, I found links to 4 of the pix, RMC

hope ^that works

edit

playing some more with Firefox, found out there's a sorta hidden linkage on either side of each photo (doesn't show up or work with IE for me) so here are links to the others

one last edit to get back on topic (yeah, I know, why bother...)

tho I love the gen1 Milan - there were a couple flaws - squareness of the grille and tail lights broken up with clear between red

gen2:

don't kid anyone - the grille is its size and shape becuz of the Fusion's - tho I DO like it - 'cept for the moustache

the headlites will depend (for me) on the top angle of the turnsignal part - gen1's was perfection (as a BORG photo proved!)

& again the tail lights - might like them more in person - just think they did a bit too much & a simple horizontal split, red & clear (LIKE THE ORIGINAL SKETCH) is best

3050209.001_1001big.jpg < clicky

Edited by 2b2

..... it appears that the front end is too modern....

I don't get it. I liked the subtlety of the previous grill. Functionally present, but elegant.

The front end has a band of chrome that looks out of place to me. Much like the Fusion, it has exaggerated the grill. The F-150 has a similar band at the top.

Is this the design element of the future?

Acura has a "shield" that looks like buckteeth, Toyota has effectively put a "bird beak" on the front of its cars, and now Ford has this?

I'm really looking forward to the T6 but not if it has that style schnozz. I don't like being the adversary (mhlm5, where art thou?), but this isn't something I care for.

Edited by RangerM

It looks a lot better in these daylight shots where more features are evident. Will need the in-person viewing to get the full feel for the design.

It does suffer (at least in pictures) from a lack of cohesiveness that most refreshes do. The only part I really don;t like is the trunk/bumper cut out back. It looks horrible from the 3/4 view. The front could loose the upper grill trim, but i like it, though not enough to buy one.

I think the old style still wins out in its clean simple sharp lines.

Edited by BigBadBflo

Tim, you're on a roll! Both of yours are improvementsbiggrin.gif

&

as I've said you-know-where,

they should be putting the (trim) emphasis on the bottom of the grille = "the Mercury Smile"

(oh & still think waterfalls should 'fall' straight down - leave the angled slats to Lincoln)

&

using Firefox instead of IE, I found links to 4 of the pix, RMC

hope ^that works

edit

playing some more with Firefox, found out there's a sorta hidden linkage on either side of each photo (doesn't show up or work with IE for me) so here are links to the others

one last edit to get back on topic (yeah, I know, why bother...)

tho I love the gen1 Milan - there were a couple flaws - squareness of the grille and tail lights broken up with clear between red

gen2:

don't kid anyone - the grille is its size and shape becuz of the Fusion's - tho I DO like it - 'cept for the moustache

the headlites will depend (for me) on the top angle of the turnsignal part - gen1's was perfection (as a BORG photo proved!)

& again the tail lights - might like them more in person - just think they did a bit too much & a simple horizontal split, red & clear (LIKE THE ORIGINAL SKETCH) is best

3050209.001_1001big.jpg < clicky

Thanks so much 2b2, I didn't know those other pictures were there. I'm all over this car, I love it!

And you must be referring to this photo?

2006%20Mercury%20Milan%20_8_.JPG