Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blow it out your ass you stupid Liberal, Not everyone wants to drive a Prius

Gotta say l would rather walk to work than own Prius they are dreadful, thank God lithium will near enough run out by 2015.

How many vehicles do Chrysler, Ford and GM have at the moment that return 50 MPG just interested?

Could use diesels but they are to dirty for you to use in the US unless its fitted to a large pick-up truck.

P-100's fitted with econetic diesel engines, camels and horses will be just about all that will meet the new CAFE standards.

Gotta say l am glad l live in Europe now, at least we will still have MONSTER cars like the gas guzzling Ford KA and Fiat 500 in 2020 or will we?

It looks like the only three that will sign up to that mandate, and qualify for the bailout money will be Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

When did regulation become a form of planned economy? That's essentially the argument that's being put forth here; that the auto makers would be better off if the government made buisness decisions for them.

The argument is NOT that "auto makers would be better off if the government made business decisions for them", the argument is that consumers will be better off if automakers are forced to meet these goals.

I think it's obvious most people in this particular circle-jerk won't agree... but as long as the best selling non-trucks are the Camry, Corolla, Civic, and Accord, I think we can all at least admit that the buying public might have different opinions than this site's readers.

The argument is NOT that "auto makers would be better off if the government made business decisions for them", the argument is that consumers will be better off if automakers are forced to meet these goals.

I think it's obvious most people in this particular circle-jerk won't agree... but as long as the best selling non-trucks are the Camry, Corolla, Civic, and Accord, I think we can all at least admit that the buying public might have different opinions than this site's readers.

In the context of that Friedman article (and way too many other people in Michigan) I took "the problems we're in" to refer to the auto industry and thought that this was another person claiming that the government should have saved the big 3 from themselves by making decisions for them

If it’s the consumers best interest the Senator is looking out for, his proposal is equally preposterous. Camry, Corolla, Civic, and Accord do not get 50MPG, and would have to be radically altered to achieve that kind of fuel efficiency. Still, only looking at those four is a skewed representation what people are buying; close to 50% of all sales are still "Light Trucks". Consumers want what they are buying, not what he's suggesting they be forced to buy.

It's not in the automaker's best interest. It's not in the consumer's best interest. The one beneficiary may be the environment; however, I don't consider this kind of legislation to be ideal in that regard. Supply side manipulations never work in the way they are intended. For example:

50MPG mandate makes cars more efficient -->people use less gas when driving. Sounds good, except people using less gas to drive a certain distance so driving becomes cheaper. As a result, people drive more than before, partially (or entirely) negating gas savings.

My other objections to it are that the political focus is almost entirely on cars, which fractionally do not account for the majority of pollution; the tendency for corporate fuel economy requirements to distribute market share in trucks away from the Big 3 due to product mix, and the animosity about fuel economy directed at the big 3 (the Friedman complaints, especially when they go hand in hand with "the Japanese are doing the right thing").

I hope that that fool senator is setting a proper example by driving an old Geo Metro with a speed limiter set at 40 MPH to maximize fuel economy.

Oh yea, I forgot that fools such as that cannot be bothered by having to live and do as they say, only others have to.

GM and Ford should invite every single rep on the hill to spend a day at Milford or Dearborn to see how car's are developed. These a-hole's have no idea the enormous investment, tough compromises and volume of work that goes into a vehicle.

50 MPG? ok, scrap all safety standards because they add tremendous weight.

These idiots act like there is a little switch somewhere to turn up fuel mileage. I guess there kind of is..it's called your right foot. Bottom line..there is not 1 technology out there that has the power density of gasoling for any kind of reasonable price.

rant over.

So when the '10 Fusion continues to sell worse than the Camry and Accord, despite getting significantly better fuel economy than both of them, then what? The Camry and Accord outsell the domestics for other reasons beyond fuel economy. Forcing it on the US automakers won't change anything.

Who's the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who voted for him?

:hysterical: Nice one, Obi!

Maybe that's why most mental folk buy a Prius they are attracted to the Lithium.

Forget lithium. For this to pass, we had better start using dilithium crystals.

"I'm givin' her all she's got!"

"At least he didn't call us porch monkeys" :hysterical:

Uh oh. Here we go...