Something else to ponder

Something to ponder….

Ford, Chrysler and GM's contributions after 9/11

'CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's contributions to the 9/11 relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington. The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford- Donated $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursion trucks to NY Fire Dept. The company also offered ER response ! team services and office space to displaced government employees.

2. GM- Donated $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of vans, suv's, and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- Donated $10 million to support of the children and victims of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson – Donated $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen-Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation, funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- Donated $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi-Nothing.

8. BMW-Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat-Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi-Nothing.

14. Nissan-Nothing.

15. Porsche-Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota-Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001. Condolences posted on the website

Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to a car manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based company. Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed nothing at all to the citizens of the United States ...

It's OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but it is apparently not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe we should not forget things like this. Say thank you in a way that gets their attention..

++++ Pass it on, I just did. ++++

How soon the deeds of the good are forgotten

I think a person would be kidding themselves if they think that Toyota or Honda really care about US citizens. The only thing they care about is selling cars and making mega bucks to send back to Japan. That's it. Do you think they have assembly lines in the US because they care about us or want to provide good jobs? NO. They do it for two reasons. Cheaper transportation cost and for marketing purposes. That's it.

I think a person would be kidding themselves if they think that Toyota or Honda really care about US citizens. The only thing they care about is selling cars and making mega bucks to send back to Japan. That's it. Do you think they have assembly lines in the US because they care about us or want to provide good jobs? NO. They do it for two reasons. Cheaper transportation cost and for marketing purposes. That's it.

There is no doubt the Big 3 employ more Americans and are better for America than having transplants. But I don't like spreading pure lies.

The real problem isn't that foreign companies don't care about Americans; the real problem is that American companies don't care about Americans. And that's why so many are in this situation why they don't care where they buy stuff from.

Apparently this internet blog first surfaced in 2002 and was created by a guy who did searches

and used the methodology that if he didn't find evidence of contributions, none were made.

I think it's time we stopped muck raking in the name of the dead and lock this thread.

Apparently this internet blog first surfaced in 2002 and was created by a guy who did searches

and used the methodology that if he didn't find evidence of contributions, none were made.

I think it's time we stopped muck raking in the name of the dead and lock this thread.

There's like three other threads with the same topic, and it was brought up at our sales meeting this morning at the dealership.

All of a sudden, it's big news again.

Oh well, it's nice to see somebody elses face baselessly drug through the mud for a change.

• 2 weeks later...

As an F.Y.I., the below letter is from Honda.

Statement by American Honda Motor Co., Inc. Re: Honda Contributions to 9-11 Recovery Efforts December 2, 2008

Shortly after the devastating events of September 11, 2001, an internet hoax was launched claiming that CNN had reported that many international automakers, including Honda, had failed to contribute to the corporate response to the 9-11 tragedy.

In fact, not only did Honda make a significant contribution to several 9-11 funds, but the reality is that no such CNN story was ever broadcast. This false allegation was a complete hoax. Today, documentation of this hoax is featured on www.snopes.com , www.urbanlegends.com and other myth busting sites.

Now, seven years later, it is unfortunate that this same hoax has reappeared on the internet. While we made our contributions in the same humble and positive spirit as many other corporations, we now feel compelled to re-state the record regarding Honda’s significant response to the tragic events of September 11, 2001.

For the record, the Honda family of companies and our associates contributed in excess of $1.5 million in support assistance and products to aid recovery efforts and to help victims of 9-11 cope with their devastating losses. The bulk of these funds were contributed to the United Way of New York "September 11 Fund," and to the American Red Cross.

Honda products contributed to the recovery efforts included donations of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and generators to help rescue and recovery workers quickly navigate the difficult terrain around the World Trade Center and commercial generators donated to the American Red Cross for use in disaster-relief efforts, including at the World Trade Center site.

Honda is honored to have participated in these efforts.

Ford and especially GM made significant vehicle contributions to the rescue and recovery efforts in South Louisiana and Mississippi. At least, that was my impression from all the white, manufacturer plated and specially logoed vehicles I saw running around. I know that GM basically gave the NOPD a bunch of impalas (though, most appear to be gone by now) after the storm since the NOPD lost half their fleet. Ford didn't directly do as much for the city or even the state (largely because the rear end collision fire suits were still active at the time), however, a friend that works for a partner company to a local law enforcement supply company did tell me that Ford worked through a third party to get a bunch of refurbished CVPIs to the NOPD.

The way it was discrobed to me was, basically, there were PDs across the country that were looking for an excuse to get rid of old units. There was no infrastructure to donate them directly to the NOPD, so, this third party came into existence to do light refurbs on them, and to give them some basic, generic NOPD livery. Most of them are still on the streets today (you can tell the donated units by their paint and decal set).

Honda and Toyota have production facilities in the U.S. for the same reason that GM and Ford have them in Mexico - to build vehicles that can be sold in nearby markets at a profit. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by grbeck

I remember one time in one of my city meetings with a strip club owner, (when changing the zoning for adult entertainment for a less diserable one) he stated, "And we bought an engine for your patrol car, the only one you had when it burned out, 45 years ago. We made our contribution!". My reply on the record, "Did it burn out from visiting your establishment on a daily basis as what the police reports show?".

Case in point, it is, what it is. You can't expect someone to get every thing thereafter, because they did you a favor some time ago. You can't buy people that way, you can only gain their trust, loyalty and dedication by setting positive examples. If people dont deem its enough, they will soon stray against you. I think the american automakers are facing that...

You know there's a s--tload of Toyota and Honda owners that are thinking right about now, "Well, you weren't there for me to honor my warranty claim, I wont be there for you, so no bail out...now screw you Big3".

You know there's a s--tload of Toyota and Honda owners that are thinking right about now, "Well, you weren't there for me to honor my warranty claim, I wont be there for you, so no bail out...now screw you Big3".

And most of those people are the ones who haven't even looked at an American car in the past decade and still think they are building J-bodies and K-cars. Their opinions shouldn't be considered in this matter.

In a democracy, every opinion is as valid as the next...

... no matter how wrong it might be.

No. All the southern state senators & governors banking on Detroit's failure opinion doesn't matter -- Because they're hosting foreign owned automobile corporations for money that would obviously mean more dollar bills courtesy of their alliance. Opinions don't matter when backed by propaganda and misinformation, at least in my eyes it doesn't - Maybe you like being told what to do by ignorant fools, but not me.

Maybe you should learn the meaning of democracy because your opinion became pointless the moment you cast your ballot for the people you chose to represent you - They don't consult our opinions when the decision making comes around, or else everyone could be senator and no one could be senator all at once. Theres only a democracy were opinions matter every 2-4 years and not a moment sooner :hysterical:

Edited by GT-Keith

Ha Ha! :hysterical: :hysterical: Pwned! Toyota matched Ford, and Honda donated more!

Reading and math comprehension? :hysterical: ..Ford donated $1mln each to the Red Cross and salvation army foundations + employee dollar/dollar match

Honda donated $1.5mln to both Red Cross and Salvation army with no program afterwards

Toy donated a million to the Red Cross only with a program to match deal.

Volkswagen matched Ford in total donations

Chrysler pledged the most with $10mln