Ford November 2008 Sales Figures & Results

1) BMW invented Mini out of whole cloth. That vehicle had been dead for 30 years when it was resurrected. They can do pretty much whatever they want with it, as long as it's tiny.

The original Mini was produced in Great Britain until October 2000.

Edited by grbeck

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder how the legislators will spin the higher drop numbers for the imports?

Maybe magically Toyota and Honda started making more of the cars "nobody wants" just like the domestics?

Honda and Toyota declined less than GM and Chrysler. Only Ford outperformed them.

Chrysler was down 47 percent for the month; GM was down 41 percent.

Honda and Toyota, meanwhile, were down 31.6 percent and 33.9 percent, respectively.

Ford did the best of all of them, with "only" a 30 percent decline.

So it appears as though, in a month where buyers didn't want much of anything, that they still wanted Toyotas and Hondas more than GMs and Chryslers.

So it appears as though, in a month where buyers didn't want much of anything, that they still wanted Toyotas and Hondas more than GMs and Chryslers.

But less than Fords.

Also keep in mind, Toyota was resorting to 0% financing for the entire month, a move unheard by them in the past.

It's not all roses for anybody.

The average American has problems saying the phrase "I was wrong."

To the average American politician, the phrase "I was wrong" ranks right up there with "I love taking bribes," or "Yes, I've had sex with many Congressional pages." They will just ignore the import (lack of) sales figures, and keep aiming at Detroit.

The more likely scenario is that they will offer a bailout package to Toyota and Honda before the domestics. LOL.

Edited by blksn8k2

Only Ford created - Project Toni, since then Fords market share has dropped from 32% to 16% in the UK.

Project Toni is the main reason maybe a couple of the big three will go bankrupt.

You can't draw any correlation there at all. None. Which large-share automaker in the UK 20 years ago HASN'T lost market share? Start with that list, and then I'll submit that Ford is doing anything worse than all of the other automakers who were in the UK market 20 years ago.

And WTF is Project Toni? Google makes no immediate references to it at all.

You can't draw any correlation there at all. None. Which large-share automaker in the UK 20 years ago HASN'T lost market share? Start with that list, and then I'll submit that Ford is doing anything worse than all of the other automakers who were in the UK market 20 years ago.

And WTF is Project Toni? Google makes no immediate references to it at all.

Nobody else has lost 50% of its market share like Ford have in the UK though.

Fords lost half its market share since Project Toni in the UK, despite there being no British Leyland to complete against today 32% down to 16%

Please provide me with the market shares of all other major automakers who were in the UK in 1980 and are there today. I'm sure several have lost more than 50%.

And what the heck does your link to a paper about Ford up until 1980 have to do with anything being discussed here? If that's your evidence of this so-called "Project Toni", please paraphrase for me, because I'm not going to do sift through a 51-page paper to look for it.

Besides: THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT U.S. SALES RESULTS. SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT FORD OF EUROPE IN THIS THREAD. YOUR RED HERRINGS ARE GETTING OLD.

Edited by NickF1011

But less than Fords.

Also keep in mind, Toyota was resorting to 0% financing for the entire month, a move unheard by them in the past.

I noted that Ford declined the least of all of them...although when a 30-percent decline is the best performance, describing total industry sales for November as "disastrous" is probably too kind.

Chrysler also offered 0 percent financing...and the only reason GM didn't is because it no longer has a captive financing arm to offer that type of incentive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sierra

Maybe it is time to stop feeding the herrings

So he's blaming the downfall of Ford's U.S. car sales on the Sierra, the vehicle whose design led to one of Ford's most successful vehicles ever in the Taurus? Yeah. Ford North America would have been so much better off sticking with design gems like the Grenada and LTD. :hysterical:

The Flex is more or less a complete failure though.

Its a "failure" because its not on track to sell 100K units a year...but if Ford is making a profit off it (which it most likely is) Its not.

I think 100K units was a bit optimistic, I think 50-60K is more or less a given...esp in the light of crappy economic conditions.

Its a "failure" because its not on track to sell 100K units a year...but if Ford is making a profit off it (which it most likely is) Its not.

I think 100K units was a bit optimistic, I think 50-60K is more or less a given...esp in the light of crappy economic conditions.

Well, at its current pace, it's only on track to sell about 25-30K in its first calendar year on market. Then again, looking at how stagnant the overall market has become, I guess that's really not awful for a new vehicle at its price point. 50-60K probably would have been likely in a better market climate, which is about where I expected it to perform.

Programming assumptions were c. 70k/year.

Farley, in a burst of enthusiasm back in April said it 'could sell' up to 100k per year, but that was never the planning assumption.

Congrats! :happy feet: :happy feet: Sweet looking ride.

We sure do enjoy ours...except for the fact that the fuel gauge doesn't work properly. The best we can get it is 3/4 full, no matter how much gas we pump in. It was like that at delivery, just need to get it fixed at the first service.

Thanks, I love it so far, although I have noticed a few things that I would/could improve on. I hope you continue to enjoy your Flex!

I see Maroone still writes stock numbers on the winshield. It took me forever to get rid of the residue left by that crap. Everytime it would rain, the water would trace out the stock numbers.

Anyhow, I'm partial to that color....not sure why though :shades:

Yeah they do, and it's funny they wrote "stock" on the windshield, as we custom ordered it - therefore it wasn't going to the dealer's vehicle stock.

Yeah, the blue does look nice.

So he's blaming the downfall of Ford's U.S. car sales on the Sierra, the vehicle whose design led to one of Ford's most successful vehicles ever in the Taurus? Yeah. Ford North America would have been so much better off sticking with design gems like the Grenada and LTD. :hysterical:

It sounds to me like an extension of his usual "Jelly-bean shaped cars" diatribe.