Ford November 2008 Sales Figures & Results

The reference to saab is that volvo is becoming a smaller niche player all the time. Kind of worrisome because it is not even on the consumers mind. And they have offered some very good leases on the S80.

Oh goody, what about the S60, XC60, V70, S40, V40, C30 and C70?

And not on the consumer's mind? When has Volvo (or Saab for that matter) sold en masse. Neither brand has been in the hunt when compared to their German bretheren.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SAAB only make about 2 models. If you do a like for like comparison with Volvo then the sales numbers aren't vastly different. That's really scary stuff for Volvo. I hope they don't become irrelevant but they are heading that way and I don't see how they can quickly/ easily fix things.

I don't know if you have followed the demise of Woolworths in the UK, but one of the reasons it went under was because consumers no longer knew what it was there for. What is Volvo for? It's a scarily similar problem in admitedly a different business sector....

October sales (US) according to Autoblog:

Saab - 852 units

Volvo - 4,404 units

That's nearly 5.5x's the monthly sales of Saab. Also if I'm not mistaken Ford salaried workers still receive discounts on lower end Volvos (C30 and S40), whereas GM eliminated employee pricing on the 9-3 because they weren't making any money on it.

So seriously, what are you talking about?

Ford needs to continue gaining market share through this down turn. That's about the only thing they can accomplish.

Then, they need to be prepared to defend their market share during the up turn.

Hopefully some of this increased market share is from conquest or first time buyers. With the quality Ford is building, happy first time Ford owners is the best way to defend an increasing share. Their perception will become the new reality.

The Flex - a car that so many on here said was going to be the next big thing. Hmmm. First they blamed the fuel crisis, and now what, the down turn?

I feel cars like the Flex are a complete waste of money. If Ford is serious about fixing it's problems it needs to get all the basic right. Rather than design the Flex, why didn't Ford NA focus on a MINI rival when the MINI Mk2 came to America and proved a sucess? The Flex was always a gamble one that's not paying off.

Ford needs to focus on what it's brands do well. Why not treat Mustang as a seperate brand and develop a range of cars around that name. A 4 door would be a great idea and it should be sent to Europe. If BMW managed Mustang by now you would have upteen versions of it and it would be smashing sales records everywhere. But no build a Flex instead.

Why develop a Flex which costs a fortune and wears the Ford badge. Why not design a great Lincoln instead? If Ford really want to fix Volvo give it some new models, XC60 is a good start, but where are all the other new models?

Very little is selling at the moment. Flex is doing well under the circumstances. I am seeing more of them on the road here. They are building a Lincoln off the Flex platform. I think the Fiesta will give MINI a run when it finally arrrives. The Fiesta will offer lots of style for less money.

I agree the Flex will do better when Taurus X is gone, to a point. I'm not sure how much EcoBoost will help it though. I don't think a lack of power has been one of the major complaints about the Flex. Then again, are there any major complaints about the Flex? People simply aren't buying premium vehicles in this market.

Ford would be the only one with a hot rod Crossover. Some people would want one that could smoke all the competition.

I wonder how the legislators will spin the higher drop numbers for the imports?

Maybe magically Toyota and Honda started making more of the cars "nobody wants" just like the domestics?

The average American has problems saying the phrase "I was wrong."

To the average American politician, the phrase "I was wrong" ranks right up there with "I love taking bribes," or "Yes, I've had sex with many Congressional pages." They will just ignore the import (lack of) sales figures, and keep aiming at Detroit.

S60 - 2000

9-5 - 1997

You also don't see Volvos full of Ford parts. Look inside a 9-3 or 9-5, and voila GM corporate head units.

Sorry, I thought for some reason the S60 was first made in '98.

Ford needs to focus on what it's brands do well. Why not treat Mustang as a seperate brand and develop a range of cars around that name. A 4 door would be a great idea and it should be sent to Europe. If BMW managed Mustang by now you would have upteen versions of it and it would be smashing sales records everywhere. But no build a Flex instead.

Why develop a Flex which costs a fortune and wears the Ford badge. Why not design a great Lincoln instead? If Ford really want to fix Volvo give it some new models, XC60 is a good start, but where are all the other new models?

Mustang will not likely ever become a sedan. It just wouldn't be right - Mustang has always been a 2 door coupe/convertible.

That "great Lincoln" you're referring to is coming....the MKT. Is C30 not a new model? What about the upcoming XC30 (if it's still in the pipeline)? Not everything can be solved by just new models....the old ones need to be improved while adding a few new models here and there.

So by your reasoning BMW were wrong to develop a MINI estate. Aston Martin are fools to make the Rapide, Porsche and the Panemera? Just idiots right?

I think he was referring more to your 4-door Mustang comment.

The full-size truck market is outperforming the overall industry, well at least for Ford and GM. As Ford builds up the 2009 F-series inventory, will F-series sales continue to outperform the industry?

Ford F-series 37,911 -18.6%

Chevy Silverado 29,534 -22.5%

GMC Sierra 10,497 -24.2%

Dodge Ram 15,538 -36.5%

Toyota Tundra 6,607 -55.9%

Nissan Titan 1,022 -79.6%

Also, what's impressive to me is Lincoln only dropping 8%. More Lincolns were sold than Mercurys. How about that.

Industry Summary

Porsche -48.2%

Chrysler -47.1%

Suzuki -46.3%

Nissan -42.2%

GM -41.3%

Hyundai -39.7%

Mercedes -39.2% (-29.9% if you include Smart)

Kia -37.2%

Mitsubishi -36%

Toyota -33.9%

Honda -31.6%

Mazda -31.3%

Ford -30.0%

BMW -26.8% (BMW -36.1%, Mini +43.1%)

Audi -25.4%

Volkswagen -19.2%

Subaru -7.8%

Ford performed ok relative to the others.

The full-size truck market is outperforming the overall industry, well at least for Ford and GM. As Ford builds up the 2009 F-series inventory, will F-series sales continue to outperform the industry?

Ford F-series 37,911 -18.6%

Chevy Silverado 29,534 -22.5%

GMC Sierra 10,497 -24.2%

Dodge Ram 15,538 -36.5%

Toyota Tundra 6,607 -55.9%

Nissan Titan 1,022 -79.6%

Also, what's impressive to me is Lincoln only dropping 8%. More Lincolns were sold than Mercurys. How about that.

You have no idea how happy I am to see the Tundra's sales. I know, its 6607 too many, but it's a good "start".

Oh, and glad to see Ford did better than most brands.

My family did our part......one of those Flexes is ours! :shades:

Congrats! :happy feet: :happy feet: Sweet looking ride.

We sure do enjoy ours...except for the fact that the fuel gauge doesn't work properly. The best we can get it is 3/4 full, no matter how much gas we pump in. It was like that at delivery, just need to get it fixed at the first service.

Mustang would be a massive hit in Europe, but the buzz word at Ford is "NO CAN DO" at the moment.

:hysterical: Sure it would. Those V8's and inefficient V6's would do great under the current tax laws in Europe, especially the UK. Who the heck would be able to afford one? The Mustang would do as well in Europe as the Falcon would do here -- in other words, not well at all.

The Flex - a car that so many on here said was going to be the next big thing. Hmmm. First they blamed the fuel crisis, and now what, the down turn?

I feel cars like the Flex are a complete waste of money. If Ford is serious about fixing it's problems it needs to get all the basic right. Rather than design the Flex, why didn't Ford NA focus on a MINI rival when the MINI Mk2 came to America and proved a sucess? The Flex was always a gamble one that's not paying off.

Do you even read what you write? There are so many things in this resposne that are laughable I don't even know where to begin. A Mustang brand? :lol: A 4-door Mustang? :lol: Flex was expensive to develop? :lol: No great Lincolns? MKS is 3rd-best selling large luxury car on the market, already. :lol: MKT comes out in a couple months. :lol: No new Volvos? What is the S80? And new upcoming S60? :lol: Holy hell, TStag. You've completely fallen off your rocker.

Edited by NickF1011

:hysterical: Sure it would. Those V8's and inefficient V6's would do great under the current tax laws in Europe, especially the UK. Who the heck would be able to afford one? The Mustang would do as well in Europe as the Falcon would do here -- in other words, not well at all.

Gotta say most folk that want a sports coupe would buy a Mustang in Europe it would soon become Europes No1 best selling coupe like the Capri did, l don't think they would be to bothered about running costs or how many MPG it does Nick, but a smaller fuel efficient diesel engine like Audi R8 350bhp and 800Nm of torque would go down a treat here you only only get clobbered with taxs on those nasty envionmentally damaging gasoline engines in Europe.

You see what I'm talking about, Kyle?

The guy displays an instinct for the business that I thought died along with British Leyland.

I read his post and thought "I just need to appologize to everyone!" What the hell is he saying:)

Do what Ford does well-like develop a knock off Mini is their area of expertise!

Gotta say most folk that want a sports coupe would buy a Mustang in Europe it would soon become Europes No1 best selling coupe like the Capri did, l don't think they would be to bothered about running costs or how many MPG it does Nick, but a smaller fuel efficient diesel engine like Audi R8 350bhp and 800Nm of torque would go down a treat here you only only get clobbered with taxs on those nasty envionmentally damaging gasoline engines in Europe.

Wow. So now you can speak on behalf of all Europeans too? Take a look at Corvette sales in Europe. That'll tell you about how successful the Mustang would be there.

Please tell me, what is the best-selling V8 coupe in Europe right now? And how many sales does it have? And you want Ford to sell the Mustang there again why? Because YOU want one? Well, sorry. That doesn't cut it. The only foreign market I can really see the Mustang thriving in would be Australia. They already accept V8-powered large mainstream cars. Europe does not, except in the luxury car arena.

And for God's sake, keep your train of thought. What the hell does the Audi R8 have to do with the Mustang?

Edited by NickF1011

Wow. So now you can speak on behalf of all Europeans too? Take a look at Corvette sales in Europe. That'll tell you about how successful the Mustang would be there.

Please tell me, what is the best-selling V8 coupe in Europe right now? And how many sales does it have? And you want Ford to sell the Mustang there again why? Because YOU want one? Well, sorry. That doesn't cut it. The only foreign market I can really see the Mustang thriving in would be Australia. They already accept V8-powered large mainstream cars. Europe does not, except in the luxury car arena.

And for God's sake, keep your train of thought. What the hell does the Audi R8 have to do with the Mustang?

25% of all Corvettes sold worldwide are sold in Europe, a cheaper Mustang would sell more. Something like an updated version of the V6 Cologne they used in the last Capri that they use in the Ranger today would do just fine for me, but the Euro Jello Ford car has no appeal to me whatso ever Nick.

25% of all Corvettes sold worldwide are sold in Europe, a cheaper Mustang would sell more. Something like an updated version of the V6 Cologne they used in the last Capri that they use in the Ranger today would do just fine for me, but the Euro Jello Ford car has no appeal to me whatso ever Nick.

25% of Corvettes is only about 15,000 or so. The Mustang would not survive in Europe at volumes even close to that. Like I said, the Mustang would sell in Europe as well as the Falcon would sell in the US. It would be nice to have it and all, but it really would make little financial sense to go foward with it.

And really, why always refer to Euro Fords as Jello cars? It's not like the rest of the mainstream cars sold in Europe are any less so.

Oh, and glad to see Ford did better than most brands.

My family did our part......one of those Flexes is ours! :shades:

I see Maroone still writes stock numbers on the winshield. It took me forever to get rid of the residue left by that crap. Everytime it would rain, the water would trace out the stock numbers.

Anyhow, I'm partial to that color....not sure why though :shades: