Ford Building 4Cylinder EgoBoost

EcoBoost combines two technologies -- turbo-charging and direct fuel injection -- to produce more horsepower from a smaller engine. Ford plans to roll out the first EcoBoost engine, a 3.5-liter V-6 that delivers the power of V-8, on the 2010 Lincoln MKS next summer.

Followed by the Taurus SHO.

These things worry me:

""too early to discuss displacements" or what vehicles might get the new engine."

and

"Hall said the four-cylinder version of the EcoBoost will likely be introduced on the mid-sized Ford Fusion sedan, probably in 2010."

The 4 cyl Ecoboost is going to be 2 years behind the 6 cyl?!?!?! For something that should have proceeded the 6 cyl, how is it going to take 2 years - and that's a best guess at this point?? - longer????

Yikes....good thing gas got cheap....

Chuck

Edited by chucky2

These things worry me:

""too early to discuss displacements" or what vehicles might get the new engine."

and

"Hall said the four-cylinder version of the EcoBoost will likely be introduced on the mid-sized Ford Fusion sedan, probably in 2010."

The 4 cyl Ecoboost is going to be 2 years behind the 6 cyl?!?!?! For something that should have proceeded the 6 cyl, how is it going to take 2 years - and that's a best guess at this point?? - longer????

Yikes....good thing gas got cheap....

Chuck

I noticed that too. It's quite possible that this guy pulled the entire article out of his ass :censored:

Wait... are my math skills wrong? I count 1 year. Summer 2009 launch of 3.5, and summer 2010 launch of 2.0. The 1.6 (I thought it was 1.6) goes into production in early 2010 in EU, so probably enters use here in 2011. The 1.0 goes into production in late 2009 or early 2010 in EU and may or may not make it over here.

Wait... are my math skills wrong? I count 1 year. Summer 2009 launch of 3.5...

Engine Job #1 should be in 1Q2009

...and summer 2010 launch of 2.0.

Concur.

The 1.6 (I thought it was 1.6) goes into production in early 2010 in EU, so probably enters use here in 2011.

Hopefully the all new 2011MY Focus.

The 1.0 goes into production in late 2009 or early 2010 in EU and may or may not make it over here.

I haven't heard much about the 1.0L in a while. I doubt it would ever show up in a US vehicle. Maybe it died.

Does anybody know if this 4-cyl engine is related to the engine in the S60 concept (see link for quote/article about the engine)? They sound similar (to me), that's why I'm asking.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=28815

Volvo will also introduce its version of parent-company Ford's Eco-Boost technology under the GTDi (Gas Turbo Direct-injection) banner, a move that will permit trimming engine displacement and cylinder count on its larger models while upping their fuel economy by 20-30 percent

http://community.kbb.com/blogs/greenarticl...re-in-2012.aspx

Volvo will also introduce its version of parent-company Ford's Eco-Boost technology under the GTDi (Gas Turbo Direct-injection) banner, a move that will permit trimming engine displacement and cylinder count on its larger models while upping their fuel economy by 20-30 percent

http://community.kbb.com/blogs/greenarticl...re-in-2012.aspx

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that. So it is, as I expected, an EcoBoost engine.

Edited by rmc523