"An unfair assault on 'workers'"

Democratic Rep. Barney Frank this week called union concessions an "unfair assault on working men and women" — a not-accidental echo of Gettelfinger's comments.

But the only real assault on "working men and women" here is the enormous cost this bailout will entail — a cost that all working taxpayers will have to bear and which some analysts think will ultimately total $75 billion to $125 billion.

And the UAW hopes you'll pony it up and give them a free ride.

U.S. automakers are in trouble for two reasons. One, they have massive legacy costs on their books to take care of retired workers, and two, their labor costs are much higher than their competition.

Recent estimates put average UAW worker compensation at $55 an hour to $73 an hour, vs. $45 for the transplant automakers. So at a minimum, UAW workers are $10 an hour more expensive to hire than the 114,000 workers who toil at transplant auto plants situated mostly in the non-union South.

Simply put, unless the UAW makes concessions, a bailout can't work. It will be a financial impossibility. The U.S. automakers' high labor costs, coupled with the 2,000-plus pages of work rules and union requirements under the most recent labor deal, will keep them from achieving the productivity they need to compete.

The U.S. automakers are bleeding $6 billion a month. Better to pull the plug now and force them into bankruptcy, where radical restructuring — including cuts in union pay and benefits — wouldn't be optional but mandatory. That's the industry's only hope.

It's, even for the UAW, a breathtaking attitude.

Autos: The government gave the Big Three a $17.3 billion bailout based on the idea that both management and the unions would make concessions. Now the UAW says no thanks. Can we have our money back? Note to the other thread: here's why America doesn't give a damn about the D3.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that Gettelfinger has assurances (from the incoming Congress/Administration) that the stream of goverment largesse will continue unabated, he's signing his own death warrant, or he's bluffing.

Seems to me that Gettelfinger has assurances (from the incoming Congress/Administration) that the stream of goverment largesse will continue unabated, he's signing his own death warrant, or he's bluffing.

My guess is that Gettlefinger is chest-thumping to impress the rank-and-file. Behind the scenes, I suspect reason will prevail, or at least I hope so.

Ah yes. Another mention of "Big Three" getting money. Lazy research gets you everywhere these days.

We might just help you brother, if you need a hand, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

Bush could of helped the US by not starting a war that nobody could win, so now he's a genius and knows what the Auto industry needs. If the government really wants to help, they should devise a national health care plan that covers all Americans instead of playing to special interest. Right there we put billions back into the coffers of all US corporations and removed the so called legacy cost

Labor cost account for 8% of the price of the vehicle. Using Ford's own motto of addressing things gone wrong

(TGW) if I put labor cost on that x bar & R chart, labor cost would barely register.

Better to address the top 5 hitters. Warranty, product development etc., hey come to think of it that's what Mulaly is trying to do.

Our management team hasn't figured out yet, that the only thing that keeps their wages from being cut more is because of the UAW

Either way, it's not right.

You know it.

Sometimes you have to make a tough decision. Sometimes those decisions hurt.

Take me for example. My solution will involve sacrifices. My mother-in-law drives a Honda, but I am willing to make the decision knowing our country will be better in the end. Sure, it will hurt in the near-term, but the sooner we eliminate the stupid people from our society, the better off we all will be.

And if you can't see sarcasm in my posts, then you need to put me on ignore. ;)

If your post was in jest, then I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Perhaps the emoticon would help make things clearer in the future.

I refuse to "ignore" anyone, because I choose to hear everyone's viewpoints, even if I don't agree with them.

To quote a great ad campaign (and tennis player): "Image is everything."

Ford will continue to suffer irreparable harm from this PR disaster which is now going to run for another 2 years, likely, with all sides committed to avoiding the use of the bankruptcy system, favoring instead a long series of expensive, ineffectual taxpayer handouts, while the country goes through a deep recession, which will combine to greatly decrease public opinion of "the D3."

Sometimes you have to make a tough decision. Sometimes those decisions hurt.

Take me for example. My solution will involve sacrifices. My mother-in-law drives a Honda, but I am willing to make the decision knowing our country will be better in the end. Sure, it will hurt in the near-term, but the sooner we eliminate the stupid people from our society, the better off we all will be.

:hysterical:

To quote a great ad campaign (and tennis player): "Image is everything."

Ford will continue to suffer irreparable harm from this PR disaster which is now going to run for another 2 years, likely, with all sides committed to avoiding the use of the bankruptcy system, favoring instead a long series of expensive, ineffectual taxpayer handouts, while the country goes through a deep recession, which will combine to greatly decrease public opinion of "the D3."

what a cunt you are. in every thread on here. as a UAW member, i'd rather see this ship sink, than know we bent over and "took" whatever they decided was fair and on par with "the wages of the world today". legacy costs are NOT burdens. they are fathers and grandfathers. i'd rather be part of a union that stood up and said NO-we wont be part of this race to the bottom, than cower and say yes-sir, please can i have a few crumbs-i'll do anything you tell me-as long as i can still toil for you. F&*K that- i'm a man whose willing to chuck it all knowing the rest of my life, i didnt budge on the issues i know are right. i'm not a bitch-like you.

as a UAW member, i'd rather see this ship sink, than know we bent over and "took" whatever they decided was fair and on par with "the wages of the world today".

Ever hear the phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face"?

I bet you see yourself as a UAW worker first and a Ford employee second (or third or fourth) - right?

And you wonder why the public doesn't like you.......

If you don't like how a company treats you - go find another one that treats you better. Or start your own company and YOU make the rules. You're not ENTITLED to anything.

Edited by akirby

Or start your own company and YOU make the rules. You're not ENTITLED to anything.

Yep, and then and only then will these people find out what they are really worth. 99 percent will find out that they are not worth what they are getting paid now and those 28 dollar an hour jobs are hard to find with all the benifits. The tax payers dont owe a damn thing to these people in my mind. Nor do they owe the execs either.

what a cunt you are. in every thread on here. as a UAW member, i'd rather see this ship sink, than know we bent over and "took" whatever they decided was fair and on par with "the wages of the world today". legacy costs are NOT burdens. they are fathers and grandfathers. i'd rather be part of a union that stood up and said NO-we wont be part of this race to the bottom, than cower and say yes-sir, please can i have a few crumbs-i'll do anything you tell me-as long as i can still toil for you. F&*K that- i'm a man whose willing to chuck it all knowing the rest of my life, i didnt budge on the issues i know are right. i'm not a bitch-like you.

I can see or hear where you're coming from, but where else would you go if the whole ship sank, as you state you want it to?

The vitriol against the middle class here is amazing.

Divide and conquer, I suppose...

Amazing isn't it, Ford has managed their recovery well sought all they wanted from the UAW

and yet GM and Chrysler are sinking all because of the UAW - that sure doesn't ring true.

Edit, political vitriol removed

Edited by jpd80

Bush could of helped the US by not starting a war that nobody could win, so now he's a genius and knows what the Auto industry needs. If the government really wants to help, they should devise a national health care plan that covers all Americans instead of playing to special interest.

Bush has certainly been out of control with his spending habits since the day he set foot in the office, but I'm not sure how that is relevant. A national health care plan would reduce the burden on the automakers while squarely putting the burden back on the people who RECEIVE the health care right now. Why do people not understand this? Do you really think the UAW folks are going to be happy to have to PAY for their healthcare through a taxed, nationalized plan? I for one don't think so.

People who keep screaming for nationalized health care seem to forget one thing: SOMEONE is paying for it ... and when you nationalize health care, that means YOU are, through taxes.

I'm not sure who forgot that the government's money is OURS ... ?

Edited by SVT_MAN