Next Generation Mustang

Tico

With the 50th anniversary only 5 model years away, surely someone in Dearborn must be working on the next generation Mustang. Anyone have any ideas on what direction Ford might be taking the Mustang next decade? Surely the current configuration can not soldier on more than 5 more years. What will the next generation look like? Smaller, Turbos? Hybrid power train option? New V8 in the works? Come on someone must have at least a rumor?!

With the 50th anniversary only 5 model years away, surely someone in Dearborn must be working on the next generation Mustang. Anyone have any ideas on what direction Ford might be taking the Mustang next decade? Surely the current configuration can not soldier on more than 5 more years. What will the next generation look like? Smaller, Turbos? Hybrid power train option? New V8 in the works? Come on someone must have at least a rumor?!

in 5 years government regulations will outlaw pony cars. We will only have cars that get 150mpg or better and they will be a hybrid with a 2 cyl engine with lithiam ion batteries

in 5 years government regulations will outlaw pony cars. We will only have cars that get 150mpg or better and they will be a hybrid with a 2 cyl engine with lithiam ion batteries

Cute, but probably very inaccurate.

Personally, I would expect to see the next gen Mustang take a more modern approach to its design. While I'm sure it'll still carry several heritage design cues, I doubt there will be a single model you could point out as its "inspiration" like you can with the S197's.

As for powertrains, by then I'm sure EcoBoost would be well in order and hybrid is certainly within the realm of possibility, though I would expect the higher end versions to still be gasoline-only. The new 5.0 V8 will likely still be around at that time doing duty in the GT and some version of the 3.5 will also probably still be soldiering on for some time.

Timeframe? From what I remember hearing, it is expected to be all-new for MY 2014, just in time for its 50th anniversary.

• 2 weeks later...

My hope: the 2014 will be a smaller and substantially lighter fastback coupe and a convertible. It'll have a very recognizable Mustang look. Powertrains will include a 225HP 2.5L DI V6 in the base model with a 325HP 4.0L DI V8 in the GT and a 400HP 5.0L DI V8 in the Mach 1.

Edited by T'Cal

My hope: the 2014 will be a smaller and substantially lighter fastback coupe and a convertible. It'll have a very recognizable Mustang look. Powertrains will include a 225HP 2.5L DI V6 in the base model with a 325HP 4.0L DI V8 in the GT and a 400HP 5.0L DI V8 in the Mach 1.

i hope that the 50th model will be a retro model of the Mustang II from the mid 70's. I believe that model was the model that had the highest sales of them all, even with the problems of the oil crisis and loss in power. Remeber if Ford can keep the weight down to lets say 2,000-2,500 pounds an eco-boost engine will be awsome i think that gets about 350hb right?

As much as I love the S197 retro theme, I think the next gen should be seriously futuristic, with some cues and elements of the original present (long hood, short back, open grill, side scoop etc.).

I also hope Ford manages to shave a few hundred pounds off, thus allowing good performance with slightly smaller powertrains. Plus, they REALLY need to update the auto transmission to a 6-speed.

Base= EB 2.5L I-4 (NA 3.5L V-6 option on Premium)

GT= EB 3.5L V-6 (NA V8 option on Premium)

BOSS= NA V8

GT500= EB V8

And the convertible should have a pop-up rollover system, like many other great convertibles.

Edited by joihan777

Cute, but probably very inaccurate.

Personally, I would expect to see the next gen Mustang take a more modern approach to its design. While I'm sure it'll still carry several heritage design cues, I doubt there will be a single model you could point out as its "inspiration" like you can with the S197's.

As for powertrains, by then I'm sure EcoBoost would be well in order and hybrid is certainly within the realm of possibility, though I would expect the higher end versions to still be gasoline-only. The new 5.0 V8 will likely still be around at that time doing duty in the GT and some version of the 3.5 will also probably still be soldiering on for some time.

Timeframe? From what I remember hearing, it is expected to be all-new for MY 2014, just in time for its 50th anniversary.

I think the real problem is going to be: Where is Ford going to derive the chassis from? Does Ford have the funds to develop a whole new monocoque? What about suspension components? AFAWK, the only other rear-drive Ford cars (Panther, Falcon) might be MIA by 2014. Can D2C be updated enough (D2D?) to be competitive, not just with other ponies, but with other sports sedans as well?

There's too many variables, at this time, to hazard a guess.

I think the real problem is going to be: Where is Ford going to derive the chassis from? Does Ford have the funds to develop a whole new monocoque? What about suspension components? AFAWK, the only other rear-drive Ford cars (Panther, Falcon) might be MIA by 2014. Can D2C be updated enough (D2D?) to be competitive, not just with other ponies, but with other sports sedans as well?

There's too many variables, at this time, to hazard a guess.

Mustang can pay for itself. Ford can't afford to NOT keep the Mustang going. Period.

The Panther platform is not compatible with the Mustang platform, so that isn't an issue.

(I don't know diddly about the Falcon however)

I hope they can co-engineer the next Stang together with the next T-Bird the same way they learned to do the vert & hard top with the S197... thus stretching their engineering dollars.

• 5 months later...

My hope is that the next model will remain RWD and look and be lighter and leaner along the lines of the clean 1965 model. The engines would include the 175HP 2.5L I4 (base), 240HP 3.0L V6 (Pony Pkg), and the 365HP TT 3.5L V6 (GT).

Mustang can pay for itself. Ford can't afford to NOT keep the Mustang going. Period.

The Panther platform is not compatible with the Mustang platform, so that isn't an issue.

(I don't know diddly about the Falcon however)

I hope they can co-engineer the next Stang together with the next T-Bird the same way they learned to do the vert & hard top with the S197... thus stretching their engineering dollars.

This will bring you up to date with the new FG Falcon:

Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

Edited by jpd80

I agree with many here, I think the next-gen Mustang needs to abandon the retro-futuristic theme (Not that I don't like the05's and 10's). The car definately needs to be lighter and it needs to continue the refinement that the 2010 model brought. As for styling, it has to look American and it has to continue on with at least three "Mustang" styling cues: side scoop, tri-tail lights, and long hood/short rear. Everything else should go. My ideal engine lineup would be:

SVO: 2.0 or 2.5 EcoBoost I4 good for 275-300 hp.

ST or Sport: 3.5 EcoBoost V6 good for 355-365 hp.

GT: 5.0 V8 good for 400 hp.

Mach 1: Upgraded 3.5 EcoBoost V6 good for 415 hp.

SVT: EcoBoost 5.0 V8 good for at least 500 hp.

Edited by ds91776

I agree with many here, I think the next-gen Mustang needs to abandon the retro-futuristic theme (Not that I don't like the05's and 10's). The car definately needs to be lighter and it needs to continue the refinement that the 2010 model brought. As for styling, it has to look American and it has to continue on with at least three "Mustang" styling cues: side scoop, tri-tail lights, and long hood/short rear. Everything else should go. My ideal engine lineup would be:

SVO: 2.0 or 2.5 EcoBoost I4 good for 275-300 hp.

ST or Sport: 3.5 EcoBoost V6 good for 355-365 hp.

GT: 5.0 V8 good for 400 hp.

Mach 1: Upgraded 3.5 EcoBoost V6 good for 415 hp.

SVT: EcoBoost 5.0 V8 good for at least 500 hp.

i am not convinced the mustang should ever again don a 4 cyclinder..we have been there and the car was pathetic..soooooooooooo..i say no on any 4 cylinder in the mustang...rest of your lineup is not bad though..other then i would for once and all place the mach 1 out to pasture and build a boss as the top model...shelby can go it alone or ford just should end it...it cost ford money prior to 1968 and it cost ford money today to prop up shelby.....

i am not convinced the mustang should ever again don a 4 cyclinder..we have been there and the car was pathetic..soooooooooooo..i say no on any 4 cylinder in the mustang...rest of your lineup is not bad though..other then i would for once and all place the mach 1 out to pasture and build a boss as the top model...shelby can go it alone or ford just should end it...it cost ford money prior to 1968 and it cost ford money today to prop up shelby.....

An I4 would be fine if the weight was acceptable. The I4 was fine as a base engine in the fox body stangs and Mustang II's. Were they fast? Of course not. They weren't intended to be. But they were powerful enough at least to get out of their own way. And well....I4's have come a long way since the venerable 2.3.

An EcoBoost I4 would undoubtedly make a nice base engine also to replace the base V6 perhaps.

• Like 1

i am not convinced the mustang should ever again don a 4 cyclinder..we have been there .. ..i say no on any 4 cylinder in the mustang...

I mostly agree for a couple different reasons...

ALTHO imho the Mustang can break this first "rule" more easily than any other car;

in the future I see each car having ONE engine in various states of power = Atkinson >> nat.asp. >> EcoBeast,

with the engine compartment Just Big enough &

everything designed Just Strong enough

to give the lightest weight possible

the other reason, based on the first, can be exampled by the REFLEX concept (have a different model for that different customer)...

&/or

(my 4 passenger preferences):

a CAPRI & COUGAR

(ie a different BRAND!)

Capri would be 4cyl Only

Cougar would be 6cyl Only (incldg the 400+hp 3.5v6EB if not the 500+hp 4.0i6EB)

Edited by 2b2

This thinking that an I4 can't be in a Mustang and can't be an aspirational engine is old-man-thinking. This is the sort of thinking that got the domestics in trouble. Ford and Chevy shot themselves in the foot in the 90's by not having proper midsize entries (Taurus, Malibu, or Lumina or Impala) with an I4 that could match the ones in Accord and Camry. Keeping the crappy old V6s as the base models turned people off, it made them seem old tech. I'm sorry,but if an I4 can make 260-275 hp then no one, NO ONE, has any business thinking that they are underpowered or undesireable. Remember, that is the same or more HP than the 199-2004 GT!!!!

• Like 1

This thinking that an I4 can't be in a Mustang and can't be an aspirational engine is old-man-thinking. This is the sort of thinking that got the domestics in trouble. Ford and Chevy shot themselves in the foot in the 90's by not having proper midsize entries (Taurus, Malibu, or Lumina or Impala) with an I4 that could match the ones in Accord and Camry. Keeping the crappy old V6s as the base models turned people off, it made them seem old tech. I'm sorry,but if an I4 can make 260-275 hp then no one, NO ONE, has any business thinking that they are underpowered or undesireable. Remember, that is the same or more HP than the 199-2004 GT!!!!

If the Mustang maintains its current weight, or increases it, and there's no reason to think it won't, then a 4 cylinder, even with boost, likely wouldn't be good for anything more than a base engine, and therefore isn't "aspirational". Yes, it could possibly make more power than the 99-04 GT's, but with considerably more weight to haul, that doesn't really matter.

When the era of the V8 dies, the Mustang should gallop off into the sunset with it.

If the Mustang maintains its current weight, or increases it, and there's no reason to think it won't, then a 4 cylinder, even with boost, likely wouldn't be good for anything more than a base engine, and therefore isn't "aspirational". Yes, it could possibly make more power than the 99-04 GT's, but with considerably more weight to haul, that doesn't really matter.

When the era of the V8 dies, the Mustang should gallop off into the sunset with it.

Maybe all Aluminium body for about 300 lbs weight reduction, Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 Ecoboost.

420 hp/420 lbft and city/hwy 18/28 mpg.

Use Camaros for target practice.

Edited by jpd80

I have no doubt that Ford will have VERY competitive, highly reliable powerplants to stick into the Mustang. We've already seen the engineering metamorphisis take place, and I'm thinking the current management will still be in place for this next big redo.

I believe the shape, exterior/interior design and chassis will be the topic of discussion. I believe it of course will remain a 2 door car. The IRS is of course a big question. Will the expense of a reliable setup offer a worth while run or will it once again be dismissed as just not worth the money vrs keeping the live axle. People continually critisize the current platform for its "archaic" live axle and I'm just not sure if Ford will choose to keep that setup or finally put that to death. I've seen some very attractive, modern sketches of what a Mustang might look like in '15 and beyond. People here have had plenty of awesome ideas. Lets hope Ford has them as well. I'm confident enough in current management to feel safe in that the Mustang will remain an icon for Ford and that it won't allow it to be F'ed up.