Mulally: Car Czar should keep hands off product decisions

mulally_czar.jpg

Autoblog..

Now that General Motors and Chrysler have accepted Federal assistance in the form of low-interest bridge loans, the two companies may not have many choices available to them if a Fed-appointed individual were to make product recommendations to senior management. In fact, that's exactly what the so-called car czar would likely do, under the guise of keeping an eye on the interests of the taxpayers who funded the automakers' revival. Ford, though, has not accepted any assistance yet, and it hopes not to.

Recent comments made by CEO Alan Mulally may offer a glimpse as to why the Blue Oval's so hesitant to take a handout. After expressing that he's looking forward to working with the incoming Obama administration, Ford's CEO said, "My god, I hope that a car czar does not get into the product strategy of the companies," specifically referring to whether the car czar should decide who makes police cars and taxis.

Link..

I know of a friend that had to move in with the mother in law, and bite the bullet because of poor decisions they made, had them losing their home to a foreclosure. The mother in law got into their business, had opinions, told them what to do, etc. Made their marriage a bit stressful under the arrangement. So I would have to hear the whining, bitching and complaining.

My point, "You F--ked up, you deserve it, take it and shut up".

I feel the same way about this "loan". Don't expect to get a roof over your head and not expect the mother in law to watch over you, have an opinion, get in your way, annoy the hell out of you. When your old and mature enough to make decent decisions, and not be such a loser, then people might respect you. At this point, your immature as evident by your actions and therefore someone will need to look over you and hold your hand. When you prove yourself, and pay back all those involved, THEN you earn your dignity and respect back.

Hmmm a second there I'm not sure if I was speaking to a friend or the CEO's of GM/Chrysler.

As for Mullaly, he needs to mind his own business and focus on his house and not comment on the situation. Don't comment on what your neighbors are doing or they'll involve you in their drama...

I know of a friend that had to move in with the mother in law, and bite the bullet because of poor decisions they made, had them losing their home to a foreclosure. The mother in law got into their business, had opinions, told them what to do, etc. Made their marriage a bit stressful under the arrangement. So I would have to hear the whining, bitching and complaining.

I feel the same way about this "loan". Don't expect to get a roof over your head and not expect the mother in law to watch over you, have an opinion, get in your way, annoy the hell out of you. When your old and mature enough to make decent decisions, and not be such a loser, then people might respect you. At this point, your immature as evident by your actions and therefore someone will need to look over you and hold your hand. When you prove yourself, and pay back all those involved, THEN you earn your dignity and respect back.

Hmmm a second there I'm not sure if I was speaking to a friend or the CEO's of GM/Chrysler.

As for Mullaly, he needs to mind his own business and focus on his house and not comment on the situation. Don't comment on what your neighbors are doing or they'll involve you in their drama...

To a large degree you're spot on, I just hope the czar knows when and what he doesn't know.

I'm also amazed by the folks saying since ford mortgaged the company prior to not being able to they are in great shape.

Ford is losing a lot of money and has been, other then 1 quarter, for a long time. Companies just can't continue to do that much longer then a long time or bad things start to happen.

Whoa!!!!

The government has shown time and time again, that they don't have a clue in terms of what they are doing when it comes to business matters such as these. Having said that, what makes you so confident that the so-called car czar was picked with proper and reasonable intent?

As far as Mullaly minding his own business, well technically he is. The long term survival of GM has direct impact on Ford.

To a large degree you're spot on, I just hope the czar knows when and what he doesn't know.

I'm also amazed by the folks saying since ford mortgaged the company prior to not being able to they are in great shape.

Ford is losing a lot of money and has been, other then 1 quarter, for a long time. Companies just can't continue to do that much longer then a long time or bad things start to happen.

Which is why the company has the product to finally back their full turn around.

I wouldn't call that a fair comparison at all. If the "car czar" (what the hell is the recent fascination with the term "czar" anyway?) actually knows something about the industry, fine. Maybe his suggestions will work just fine. I think what Mulally is saying is that he doesn't want some beaurocrat telling an automaker what to do when he/she has absolutely no idea how the business works. Imagine this "car czar" telling GM "You need to stop building Silverados because they impact your CAFE too much." Is that sound advice? No, but I wouldn't put it beyond possibility if this "czar" doesn't know jack shit about the industry.

Gotta say l don't think the Car Czar will do anything at all, l can remember Clinton giving the big 3 $1.5 billion to build fuel efficient cars for the future in the early 90's.

GM built a 80 MPG Precept diesel/hybrid, Ford built the Prodigy 72 MPG diesel/hybrid & Chrysler built the ESX 72 MPG diesel/hybrid none of them made it in to production, and the big three ploughed most of the research money back into SUV & Pick-up development.

Gotta say nothing will change with this time round either, GM & Chrysler will do exactly what they want with the bailout money.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Which is why the company has the product to finally back their full turn around.

I thought they were turning to the european ford designs?

I love my new ranger but I fail to see what other product was added to the pipeline recently with the money from the mortgage.

I'm pretty sure they are just using that money to cover expenses since they are losing a lot of money.

I thought they were turning to the european ford designs?

I love my new ranger but I fail to see what other product was added to the pipeline recently with the money from the mortgage.

I'm pretty sure they are just using that money to cover expenses since they are losing a lot of money.

:headscratch: No other product? Improved CD3 triplets and hybrid versions thereof, Flex, MKT, MKS, the new Taurus, Fiesta headed to our shores, etc. And then there are the HUGE things behind the scenes that Ford otherwise could not afford, such as plant closures, and mainly the buyouts that have shrunk their workforce to a more realistic size. Then add in other things like EcoBoost development and it's plainly apparent that Ford has done a lot more with that mortgage money than you seem to think.

:headscratch: No other product? Improved CD3 triplets and hybrid versions thereof, Flex, MKT, MKS, the new Taurus, Fiesta headed to our shores, etc. And then there are the HUGE things behind the scenes that Ford otherwise could not afford, such as plant closures, and mainly the buyouts that have shrunk their workforce to a more realistic size. Then add in other things like EcoBoost development and it's plainly apparent that Ford has done a lot more with that mortgage money than you seem to think.

What he said.

don't forget the new F-150, upcoming Transit Connect and Focus not far behind.........

Recent comments made by CEO Alan Mulally may offer a glimpse as to why the Blue Oval's so hesitant to take a handout. After expressing that he's looking forward to working with the incoming Obama administration, Ford's CEO said, "My god, I hope that a car czar does not get into the product strategy of the companies," specifically referring to whether the car czar should decide who makes police cars and taxis.

Link..

I think Ford accepting government pre-approval for credit invites the car czar to audit products plans.

A while ago, Joe Henricks said Ford wouldn't like to to source all RWD cars from Australia but maybe

given the current turn of events, that might be a simple, plausible solution.

Maybe the impossible becomes possible.

Only one problem with Lee-he's 84 years old.

So what? Let's see... Paul Volcker is got to be up there around that age. Isn't he on Obama's team of economic advisors?

A couple senators are in their 80's and one is 90.

A Supreme Court Justice is almost 90.

But still. The "car czar" SHOULD NOT be in the position to tell the Big 3 what cars to make. Just as an advisor and that's it.

You're right Nick... The word "czar" kind of reminds me of old kingdoms back in the stone age.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

So what? Let's see... Paul Volcker is got to be up there around that age. Isn't he on Obama's team of economic advisors?

But still. The "car czar" SHOULD NOT be in the position to tell the Big 3 what cars to make. Just as an advisor and that's it.

You're right Nick... The word "czar" kind of reminds me of old kingdoms back in the stone age.

yep, just stock up on Adult depends.....

Czar reminds me of Russia lol