C&D Truck Comparo

C&D rates cars on horsepower. Three hundred horsepower 5 years ago was fine. *shrugs*

I agree that 310 hp isn't alot anymore, but it has decent torque. I didn't buy my 07 150 with the idea I was going to race it. C&D just always seem to highlight certain areas on some vehicles to make it come out on top. They didn't even mention that King ranch is not the top F150 model. What about the work solutions stuff that can be ordered for work trucks or the awesome Navi system. I didn't see any mention about that, yet they were discussing putting work materials in the bed. Also, they said the bed was small but I didn't see a mention that a 6.5' bed is available. The dodge bed is 6'4"

Don't get me wrong, the new Ram is so much better than it used to be and it deserves to be recognized. I am just not sure a new grille and some cubbie holes in bed rails qualifies it as the winner.

No.............. C&D hates trucks, unless they are fast/relatively fast.

They do not understand trucks, or why people buy trucks. They think that trucks are just really big cars, with a huge open trunk. This is why they do not test trucks, as trucks.

Frankly, it would be impossible for them to do, as they have no idea what trucks do.

I realize that this sounds a bit incredulous, but it is true. Why else, would the truck that has the least ability, as a truck, but is closer to a "car" than the other trucks, win.

There was an article, some years ago, in their magazine............... on this very subject. They admitted, right in the article................ that they hate trucks, and have no clue why people would buy one.

I agree that 310 hp isn't alot anymore, but it has decent torque. I didn't buy my 07 150 with the idea I was going to race it. C&D just always seem to highlight certain areas on some vehicles to make it come out on top. They didn't even mention that King ranch is not the top F150 model. What about the work solutions stuff that can be ordered for work trucks or the awesome Navi system. I didn't see any mention about that, yet they were discussing putting work materials in the bed. Also, they said the bed was small but I didn't see a mention that a 6.5' bed is available. The dodge bed is 6'4"

Don't get me wrong, the new Ram is so much better than it used to be and it deserves to be recognized. I am just not sure a new grille and some cubbie holes in bed rails qualifies it as the winner.

I wasn't really saying that 310 horsepower isn't a lot. Quite the opposite actually. I think 300 hp is fine for most people.

Anyone see this yet? I was suprised with the outcome. I always wonder if Car and Driver names Ram truck of the year, does Dodge name Car and Driver magazine of the year? I still think alot of these articles are infulenced.

Folks...I'll let you in on a dirty little secret. It really doesn't matter how good your product is for the magazines...it's about the money going in.

As a young lad fresh out of college I had the opportunity to work in the sales & marketing department of a European manufacturer. Naive as heck as I still believed the car rags spoke the honest truth.

I happened to sit in on a meeting with a certain magazines ad people and some of the editorial staff as they wanted to include our "xyz" car in their yearly award contest. Did they want to know what model of the car they'd test? No. Did they want manual or automatic? Didn't care. Did they want certain options? Nope. Do they want a certain color? No.

The ONLY thing they wanted to know was the company's ad budget for their magazine for the coming year. Needless to say I came away from that meeting rather disillusioned, but I learned a valuable lesson. And by the way, we didn't win that award.

Not to be outdone, about a year later another magazine did a long term test of the same model. I got to help move "press cars" around to magazines, newspapers, etc and when we retrieved our car from this magazine the writers had left their testers log in the glovebox. Talk about an interesting read. The most telling entry was "this is an xyz....aren't we still supposed to be especially critical in our evaluations?"

If I recall, our PR Director personally hand delivered the testers log back to the editor. That magazine never printed the long term test of that car.

Take what's printed with a grain of salt, or a fistful of cash if you will.

Funny, with that much hp on tap the Ram was only able to get to 60 .5 seconds faster than the F-150. Is .5 seconds so important that you are willing to pay for it at the pump? If the F-150 lagged a second behind and guzzled more gas, then I'd have a problem but these numbers really don't mean jack and I have no idea what C&D made a big deal.

The Ram got most of it's points lead on the last 2 scores - Fun to Drive and Gotta Have It, neither of which makes any sense..........

I could see the "fun to drive" since it has more HP, and it may be a little more sporty with the coil spring suspension. "Gotta have it" is just there for C&D to give points to whoever they want to win.

I could see the "fun to drive" since it has more HP, and it may be a little more sporty with the coil spring suspension. "Gotta have it" is just there for C&D to give points to whoever they want to win.

Yeah, but who really gives a crap about "fun to drive" in a fullsize pickup, unless you're some tool wearing a "Fireman" t-shirt in a Dodge commercial?

Yeah, but who really gives a crap about "fun to drive" in a fullsize pickup, unless you're some tool wearing a "Fireman" t-shirt in a Dodge commercial?

I agree...hence the reason I put no credence in C&D truck reviews.

The truck review should be "tows comfortably" or "hauls a load with ease" instead of "fun to drive." I would be just as adept at reviewing motorcycles when the only thing I've ever ridden is my Honda ATV!

Take away those two categories and the Chevy wins with 52 points, the Ram comes in a hair behind at 51 points and the Ford lags in third at 48.

So in other words, it comes down to all 3 trucks basically rating the same.

Basically, but then again I'm sure a lot of us (around here at least) are fully aware that this type of vehicle has boiled down to personal preference for quite some time now. Ford folks stick with their product, Chevy with theirs and Dodge folks with the Ram.

Basically, but then again I'm sure a lot of us (around here at least) are fully aware that this type of vehicle has boiled down to personal preference for quite some time now. Ford folks stick with their product, Chevy with theirs and Dodge folks with the Ram.

Yeah, but where do the Toyota, Nissan, and Honda owners go when they need a truck? They obviously aren't flocking to Ridgelines, Titans, and Tundras. :hysterical:

Yeah, but where do the Toyota, Nissan, and Honda owners go when they need a truck? They obviously aren't flocking to Ridgelines, Titans, and Tundras. :hysterical:

Those companies make trucks?

I used to go through F-150online for a while, and I noticed that a lot of F-150 owners had some sort of Toyota or Honda as a second vehicle. I'm not sure how much has changed, but I found that pretty interesting.

Those companies make trucks?

I used to go through F-150online for a while, and I noticed that a lot of F-150 owners had some sort of Toyota or Honda as a second vehicle. I'm not sure how much has changed, but I found that pretty interesting.

yeah, interesting that they would have a Toyota car in thew driveway, while slamming Toyota trucks.

A lot of hypocrites at that site.