500hp from 6.2l v8

I was reading about the raptor type r. Which is used in the competitions. The press release from ford says the truck uses a 500 hp version of the 6.2l v8. It made no mention of turbos or super chargers so it is likely N/A.

Do you guys think the production version could have this much power? It makes sense since having the 6.2 and 5l both making 400hp seemed odd and a waste

The 400 hp 5.0L will be in the Mustang. You can bet it will be less in the F150. The same is true for the EB 3.5L, that is, in an F150 it will be less than the 355 hp it is in the MKS.

It was my understanding that the EB would achieve greater HP numbers in a conventional rear drive application like the F150 vs a FWD/AWD application like the MKS - please explain

It was my understanding that the EB would achieve greater HP numbers in a conventional rear drive application like the F150 vs a FWD/AWD application like the MKS - please explain

may be tuned more for Torque than top end HP...makes sense in a truck......unless we are talking a Lightning resurrection.....

Edited by Deanh

This was my understanding. The HP is limited in the MKS because the trasmission can't handle it. In the F-150's transmission power is not a problem. They might retune the turbos for more low end torque for the trucks but I would think the engines already produce as much torque as you would want from such a small engine.

I was reading about the raptor type r. Which is used in the competitions. The press release from ford says the truck uses a 500 hp version of the 6.2l v8. It made no mention of turbos or super chargers so it is likely N/A.

Do you guys think the production version could have this much power? It makes sense since having the 6.2 and 5l both making 400hp seemed odd and a waste

Here's the official Ford article on the 500 hp race truck:

FORD F-150 SVT RAPTOR R CONQUERS BAJA

LINK

Prepared for racing in off-road endurance events, the F-150 SVT Raptor R demonstrates the toughness and durability built into every F-150 by using stock components, including the stock fully boxed frame that delivers class-leading towing and hauling in the F-150. The race truck is powered by a specially modified and calibrated 500 horsepower version of the production 6.2-liter V-8 engine and is mounted to a production-spec six-speed automatic F-150 transmission.

The F-150 SVT Raptor is like no other truck available on the market today and demonstrates Ford's commitment to delivering unique production based performance vehicles. The F-150 SVT Raptor will be available at dealerships this summer with a Flex Fuel 5.4-liter V-8 engine making 320hp, 390 ft.-lbs. of torque, and a six-speed automatic transmission. The electronically selectable four-wheel drive system also has an E-locker rear differential that, when engaged, stays locked even at high speeds. Raptor will be available with an all-new 6.2-liter V-8 early next year. Engineers are targeting 400hp and 400 ft.-lbs. of torque for the new engine.

Edited by jpd80

The 400 hp 5.0L will be in the Mustang. You can bet it will be less in the F150. The same is true for the EB 3.5L, that is, in an F150 it will be less than the 355 hp it is in the MKS.

The 5.0 for the trucks will be about 365 HP mostly due to the exhaust manifolds and exhaust system vs Mustang.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...29770&st=20

I was under the impression that the EB D35 in the MKS was tuned to match its transmission's reliable torque limits. A modern twin turbo 3.5L V6 should be capable of more than 350/350, though, capable peak potential power and peak RELIABLE PRODUCTION power may be VERY far apart for boosted engines. I would not be surprised to see the EB D35 in truck trim achieve asymetric numbers, peaking at perhaps 400+ lbs of torque, but maybe not going past 375 hp. Looking at similar applications from other manufacturers, the 2.0L direct injection turbocharged I4 (2009 A4 2.0 TFSI) in use by Audi in the A4/A3 has been released with about 211 HP and 258 lbs of torque (from 1500 to 4200 RPM!). Scaling that engine up, and assuming no efficiency loss with greater size, gives you roughly 350 hp and 400+ lbs of torque. So, I would not be surprised by Ford releasing a brutally efficient and powerful EB 3.5L setup in the F-150. Literally, they could make a truck that produces power with the competition and is still capable of returning markedly better highway mpg. Then, imagine the aftermarket possibilities for the gear heads out there. You are one voided warranty and reprogramming and custom tuning session from obscene power numbers.

I was under the impression that the EB D35 in the MKS was tuned to match its transmission's reliable torque limits. A modern twin turbo 3.5L V6 should be capable of more than 350/350, though, capable peak potential power and peak RELIABLE PRODUCTION power may be VERY far apart for boosted engines. I would not be surprised to see the EB D35 in truck trim achieve asymetric numbers, peaking at perhaps 400+ lbs of torque, but maybe not going past 375 hp. Looking at similar applications from other manufacturers, the 2.0L direct injection turbocharged I4 (2009 A4 2.0 TFSI) in use by Audi in the A4/A3 has been released with about 211 HP and 258 lbs of torque (from 1500 to 4200 RPM!). Scaling that engine up, and assuming no efficiency loss with greater size, gives you roughly 350 hp and 400+ lbs of torque. So, I would not be surprised by Ford releasing a brutally efficient and powerful EB 3.5L setup in the F-150. Literally, they could make a truck that produces power with the competition and is still capable of returning markedly better highway mpg. Then, imagine the aftermarket possibilities for the gear heads out there. You are one voided warranty and reprogramming and custom tuning session from obscene power numbers.

I think the true potential of the 3.5 may be paraded in the Mustang....

The next step in the evolution process:

6.2 V8 replaces the 6.8 V10

5.0 V8 replaces 4.6 & 5.4 V8 engines.

3.5 EB V6 offered as alternative to 5.0 V8

3.5/3.7 V6 engines become main engine in larger cars and CUVs

I-4 EB engines become main part of smaller car and CUV engine strategy.

Remember the Lincoln MKR - 415/400. If they ever bring that tune out, Ford needs to change the name back to TwinForce!

Remember the Lincoln MKR - 415/400. If they ever bring that tune out, Ford needs to change the name back to TwinForce!

If you were ever to get a closer look under the hood of the MKR concept you would find a 4.0 SOHC Cologne with some fancy covers and such. Those numbers are bogus.

If you were ever to get a closer look under the hood of the MKR concept you would find a 4.0 SOHC Cologne with some fancy covers and such. Those numbers are bogus.

:hysterical:

There's only one RWD Turbo sedan in Ford's world and it's not available in the USA.

G6ETurbot_03_L_700.jpg

Oh I don't know. I don't think 400hp is out of the question on E85, in that setup (turbo & direct injection).

I wouldn't be surprised if Lincoln releases another higher powered MKS EB a little later on.

Something to keep the fans interested and Cadillac CTS V thinking.....

I wouldn't be surprised if Lincoln releases another higher powered MKS EB a little later on.

Something to keep the fans interested and Cadillac CTS V thinking.....

Maybe a MKR with a blown 5.0 or 6.2, I don't think the tranny in the MKTaurus can even handle much more power.

And I'm sorry but I've seen some of the new CTS's on the road and they are a beautiful car, look way better than they do in pictures, it would take a lot more than a gussied up Taurus with a boosted 6 to compete with the CTS-V, those things are animals!!