F100 idea

I was pondering the many faces of Ford and wondering aloud if F100 will ever see the light of day, then it hit me....

Build F100 off an Expedition chassis with F150 cab and box, but with Expedition nose.....EL version of Expedition could be for a crew cab variant. This could be done with zero cost to develop since Ford has all it needs to construct it now EcoBoost V6, 6 speed trans, independent rear suspension....yowza!

Thoughts?

I was pondering the many faces of Ford and wondering aloud if F100 will ever see the light of day, then it hit me....

Build F100 off an Expedition chassis with F150 cab and box, but with Expedition nose.....EL version of Expedition could be for a crew cab variant. This could be done with zero cost to develop since Ford has all it needs to construct it now EcoBoost V6, 6 speed trans, independent rear suspension....yowza!

Thoughts?

Umm, outside of the IRS, you would have an F150 if you did that. It is already built off of a similar frame to the Expedition (IIRC). The F100 needs to be smaller and more lightweight.

The F-100 has to get at least 17 city / 25 Highway to persuade buyer to chose it over the current gen F-150 which has a lot more capability. I am personally hoping for 20/28 which would an upgrade over 15/21 current F-150 #s.

Umm, outside of the IRS, you would have an F150 if you did that. It is already built off of a similar frame to the Expedition (IIRC). The F100 needs to be smaller and more lightweight.

Not so much smaller, but I agree that it needs to be lighter.....put the Expedition to F100 chassis on a diet? Use lighter weight materials? Composite components....etc etc etc

It may have been just that, a rumor...but as I have stated, using the Expedition as a "donor platform" makes sense, it would be capable, different from F150 so as not to eat into it's sales, yet retain the famous Ford "Truck Tough" persona. With Explorer going to a D3 based chassis, that would leave Sport Trac on an orphaned platform, shared with nothing else. (equals expensive) In comes F100 to take up that slot, leaving Ranger to remain in the small truck camp to do battle with the coming onslaught from India in the form of Mahindra & Mahindra, Tata, and others that want to carve up the market.

Edited by twintornados

PS...it would also "one up" Dodge....coil spring rear suspension?? Yeah...we got that and an independent suspension back there to boot!

ADD ON: As I look at it, it seems that Expedition weighs a lot more than F150, not sure if the frame is where all the weight is, but I would assume the rear suspension has to add significantly to the chassis. The body no doubt weighs more than a cab and box from F150....it looks like it would need to go on a major crash diet to make the cut......

Damnit!

Edited by twintornados

I don't think you can do it within any type of cost model that will not make an Expy Ranger as or more expensive than the Expedition. It's very hard to reduce weight using other materials that deviates from the existing Expy platform and make it cheap. Otherwise you're just end up with an Expy truck that costs the same or more with the same mpg.

It may have been just that, a rumor...but as I have stated, using the Expedition as a "donor platform" makes sense, it would be capable, different from F150 so as not to eat into it's sales, yet retain the famous Ford "Truck Tough" persona. With Explorer going to a D3 based chassis, that would leave Sport Trac on an orphaned platform, shared with nothing else. (equals expensive) In comes F100 to take up that slot, leaving Ranger to remain in the small truck camp to do battle with the coming onslaught from India in the form of Mahindra & Mahindra, Tata, and others that want to carve up the market.
Edited by Catalepsy

The F-100 has to get at least 17 city / 25 Highway to persuade buyer to chose it over the current gen F-150 which has a lot more capability. I am personally hoping for 20/28 which would an upgrade over 15/21 current F-150 #s.

You might be able to get that kind of mpg in a 150 with 3.5 echo. I don't know this but if that is fairly accurate, might be the reason F-100 was shelved.

Thoughts?

Does't save enough weight and cost to make an F-100. A better Idea is to develop a lightwieght plastic version of the F-150 cab and put it ontop of a ranger frame.

The Expedition chassis would be better used to make a Lincoln LT. Nothing would be able to match it on ride quality in a truck. Maybe sell a cheaper version as a Mercury?

The Next generation of the F-150 should share the platform with the Expedition. Same vehicles, but different rear suspensions. This would make this easier.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...f150/index.html

The smaller F-150 is codenamed P525 and may be badged F-100, the name of the F-150's predecessor from the 1950s. At one point, P525 and the Ranger replacement were competing proposals, but with growing need for higher-fuel-mileage trucks, both projects will become reality in 2010 or 2011. The P525 won't be offered with V-8 power, but instead will come with four-cylinder and V-6 EcoBoost (gas direct injection and turbocharging) options, the engines' fuel economy and torque optimized for interim Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards expected to kick in for the 2011 model year.

Sup,

Instead of the f100, why not reinvent the SportTrak, or make something similar. Take the Flex and made her a 2 seater with a box instead of the family hauler. Upgrade the rear suspension. Make in capable of 500 - 800 pounds of cargo. Nothing to extravagant. Then call it the Flex 100 or the Flex-Able.

Okay that was a joke. Anyway, they will probably make a Ranger replacement. I think the F100 nameplate will not see the light of day. Ranger just hold more cred with the general public. I had a 1975 f100 in high school though.

Something like this, but not all tarted up. Flex Truck

Skape

IIRC, the F100 was shelved because the truck engineers and designers kept trying to increase the payload and towing capacity to the point that the weight would have to increase too much and it would cancel out the gains in FE. I think the original idea was to have a smaller truck (than the F150) able to tow about 5500-6500lbs, but they increased it to over 9000lbs, which lead to a stiffer/stronger frame which added alot of weight. So this resulted in a truck that would only get 1-2mpg better than the F150 will get with the ecoboost.

Sup,

Instead of the f100, why not reinvent the SportTrak, or make something similar. Take the Flex and made her a 2 seater with a box instead of the family hauler. Upgrade the rear suspension. Make in capable of 500 - 800 pounds of cargo. Nothing to extravagant. Then call it the Flex 100 or the Flex-Able.

Okay that was a joke. Anyway, they will probably make a Ranger replacement. I think the F100 nameplate will not see the light of day. Ranger just hold more cred with the general public. I had a 1975 f100 in high school though.

Skape

they could call it Ranchero :doh:

Sup,

Skape

I actually like that better than a Ranchero styled truck. Looks more like a low rider truck, than a Ranchero.

IIRC, the F100 was shelved because the truck engineers and designers kept trying to increase the payload and towing capacity to the point that the weight would have to increase too much and it would cancel out the gains in FE. I think the original idea was to have a smaller truck (than the F150) able to tow about 5500-6500lbs, but they increased it to over 9000lbs, which lead to a stiffer/stronger frame which added alot of weight. So this resulted in a truck that would only get 1-2mpg better than the F150 will get with the ecoboost.

I can see this. Personally, if I wanted to tow 9000lbs, I would rent an F-150. 6000lbs should be plenty for most people. They just need the Thai Ranger with a wider cab. Hell, since the truck market is dead, just bring in the Thai Ranger as is.