Camaro V6 Rated 29 MPG Highway!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Camaro only gets 11% better highway mileage than 2010 Mustang. That is with an all new car, a very modern engine and DI. This is as good as Chevy can do. I am assuming that the Camaro has a 6 speed automatic to.

The Mustang still gets better City efficiency. The Mustang has a better interior. When Ford adds the 3.5L, 6-speed auto and electric Power steering, they will easily be able to blow Chevy away, without the expensive DI. Add a 4-cylinder EcoBoost and Bye Bye Chevy Camaro.

The proof can be seen today. Just look how good the Mustangs website is. The Camaro site puts you to sleep.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/the2010mustang/

Do they even have out the EPA figures for the 2010 Mustang yet? I remember reading that the GT500 was supposed to get 2 MPG better then last years model

I have read 17 and 26 mpg in the Detroit News. I don't know if these are official numbers or not.

So what? Mustang gets new powertrains + 6-speeds across the board next MY.

From what we've been reading bwtween the lines... Yes.

expect... 3.5L V6, 3.5L Ecoboost, 5.0L V8, & SC 5.4L or NA 6.2L for the Cobras.

Edited by Hydro

In recent times, the majority of Mustang sales have been V6 but given the lead time for developing

each new car, contracting V8 Mustang sales were probably not expected. Even though Ford chose not

to replace the 4.0 V6 and 5-speed auto this year, I wonder if we might see a mid year engine and transmission change for the V6 Mustang.

The Camaro only gets 11% better highway mileage than 2010 Mustang. That is with an all new car, a very modern engine and DI. This is as good as Chevy can do. I am assuming that the Camaro has a 6 speed automatic to.

The Mustang still gets better City efficiency. The Mustang has a better interior. When Ford adds the 3.5L, 6-speed auto and electric Power steering, they will easily be able to blow Chevy away, without the expensive DI. Add a 4-cylinder EcoBoost and Bye Bye Chevy Camaro.

The proof can be seen today. Just look how good the Mustangs website is. The Camaro site puts you to sleep.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/the2010mustang/

I'm a website developer, and I like the Mustang site - but what does that have to do with the car? Just trying to follow your logic here. Websites don't really indicate how good the car is.

I'm a website developer, and I like the Mustang site - but what does that have to do with the car? Just trying to follow your logic here. Websites don't really indicate how good the car is.

It has nothing to do with the car. It does have to do with corporate management. If management can't do something as simple as hiring a good company to create a good web page, can you trust them to design a car. GM has the best engineers in the world, but they have to follow the direction from the same people who are responsible for the Chevy web site.

Since nobody else has really said it...

Congrats to GM. lets face it, those are really good numbers.

+1

Great job, GM. That being said, I'm sure the 3.5 w/6spd next year will match or beat those numbers. We've got a good weight advantage, and after seeing the gigantic front end of the Camaro in person, I'm pretty sure our CoD will be better. Hell, the 2009 Taurus got 28 mpg highway out of the 3.5 in a full sized car... :stirpot:

Edited by chiefstang

+1

Great job, GM. That being said, I'm sure the 3.5 w/6spd next year will match or beat those numbers. We've got a good weight advantage, and after seeing the gigantic front end of the Camaro in person, I'm pretty sure our CoD will be better. Hell, the 2009 Taurus got 28 mpg highway out of the 3.5 in a full sized car... :stirpot:

Realistically, I expect at least 30mpg highway from the '11 Mustang V6.

Realistically, I expect at least 30mpg highway from the '11 Mustang V6.

It would be close. It would depend on how much technology Ford will be adding. Electric power steering, etc. I assume the 3.5L will get an upgrade with it goes RWD. Maybe the same for the the transmission when it is applied to the Mustang.

I was hoping that Ford would have phased in the 3.5L at this point for the Mustang. The 4.0L has always been a crude boat anchor that has nothing special to offer. But of course, the engines always come the year after...

The 4.0L SOHC is not especially efficient for a car application, however it does have excellent low end torque and is a tough, bulletproof engine. With that said, I too am looking forward to the 3.5L being offered as a base engine since it would be a much better engine for this application. I think Ford pretty much had no choice but the 4.0L SOHC when they redesigned the Mustang in 2005 because it was the most modern V6 they had at the time for a drop-in replacement of the outdated pushrod Essex V6 in a RWD application.

The 4.0L SOHC is not especially efficient for a car application, however it does have excellent low end torque and is a tough, bulletproof engine. With that said, I too am looking forward to the 3.5L being offered as a base engine since it would be a much better engine for this application. I think Ford pretty much had no choice but the 4.0L SOHC when they redesigned the Mustang in 2005 because it was the most modern V6 they had at the time for a drop-in replacement of the outdated pushrod Essex V6 in a RWD application.

The 3.0L Duratec was serving duty in the RWD LS & S-Type at the time. I'm not sure of the configuration of those two vs. the Mustang, but it would appear to be adaptable.

From my test drive of the Mustang a year ago I disliked the honky engine, the blah interior, and the SRA suspension. Next year it looks like Ford will have remedied two of those problems. If only there was a $2000 suspension package option that included a double wishbone rear suspension or the like. If an independent suspension is going to cost more then let the consumer decide. The decision now is crude Mustang or more sophisticated Chevy/Dodge/Nissan/Mazda/Hyundai.

Scott

At the moment, the 3400 lb 2010 Mustang with the 4.0 V6 and 5-speed auto gets 17/26 mpg.

By comparison, the 3740 lb 2010 Camaro with the 3.6 V6 and 6-speed auto gets 18/29 mpg.

If the V6 Mustang is given the Duratec 37 and 6-speed auto, that 350/400 lb weight advantage

over the V6 LT Camaro is going to be telling in both fuel economy and performance........

If the GT Mustang is given the 400 hp 5.0 V8 and 6-speed auto, that near 400 lb weight advantage

over the 3860 lb SS Camaro is going to be telling in both fuel economy and performance........

(All figures courtesy of automobilemag.com)

Edited by jpd80