Truck Shoot Out by Edmunds

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not pretty, not pretty at all.

The gist of the story is this. The F-150 is the heaviest of the bunch by several hundred pounds. It has the weakest engine of the bunch by around 75-80 horses and 20-30 lbs of torque. IT came in dead last in all of the performance metrics, not just the usual ones we pan on here like 0-60 and quarter mile, but also towing at 80% of its tow rating and towing of exactly the same load. Whereas all of the other trucks could maintain their speed up the grade at 55 mph (with slight few mph dips here and there), the F-150 couldn't. Even with the 6AT, the 5.4L was overmatched with its load.

All in all, the 5.0L, 3.5L EB and perhaps an optional 6.2L are definitely needed. While we all know that the F-150 isn't a bad truck in general, coming in dead last in comparisons like this is not going to do much for any automaker trying to maintain its market share in that segment.

Apparantly, by Edmund's standards, the Tundra is a better tow rig than a Peterbuilt because the Tundra can tow faster? The article pretty much based there conclusions on the results of a sled pull. Obviously the more powerful trucks will tow faster, but that isn't the only criteria in deteremining a good tow vehicle. Being from the flat midwest, more horsepower isn't really too important when towing as no matter what you are driving, it is still slow. Controlling the trailer in crosswinds or when making evasive manuevers, the general ability to pull smoothly without sway and adequate braking are higher priorities. The less drama the better. Edmunds didn't bother to mention anything about their towing ability other than power.

That being said, the F150 is dying for more power, at least as an option so it doesn't have to get embarred in these competitions. How would this comparision turned out if they all had their base engine (or how about the middle engine option)?

Not pretty, not pretty at all.

The gist of the story is this. The F-150 is the heaviest of the bunch by several hundred pounds. It has the weakest engine of the bunch by around 75-80 horses and 20-30 lbs of torque. IT came in dead last in all of the performance metrics, not just the usual ones we pan on here like 0-60 and quarter mile, but also towing at 80% of its tow rating and towing of exactly the same load. Whereas all of the other trucks could maintain their speed up the grade at 55 mph (with slight few mph dips here and there), the F-150 couldn't. Even with the 6AT, the 5.4L was overmatched with its load.

All in all, the 5.0L, 3.5L EB and perhaps an optional 6.2L are definitely needed. While we all know that the F-150 isn't a bad truck in general, coming in dead last in comparisons like this is not going to do much for any automaker trying to maintain its market share in that segment.

I bet if they looked at frame strength and surability would be different. People don't usually street race their trucks (most of the time) so the performance testing is a little irrelevant. Being heavy probably makes it the strongest one in the bunch. Nonetheless, like my daddy always tells me "There is no such thing as too much horsepower" and as said before, the EB and standard 5.0 wil solve the problem for sure.

...Being from the flat midwest, more horsepower isn't really too important when towing as no matter what you are driving, it is still slow....

I'm from the Midwest too (Cincinnati, Ohio). Not all of it is 'flat'. And even if it is, your argument is still mute. You can be on a completely flat surface, and still need the extra power to pass slower vehicles in your lane (stuck in traffic behind a slow or dead vehicle and you can't get over into traffic because your rig doesn't have the gnads to do maneuver safely comes to mind...that that can happen with or without a trailer). Or how about when your about to get on an interstate, and the incoming ramp has a slight gradient? The highway itself might be flat, but that incoming ramp is not.

That being said, the F150 is dying for more power...

That IS the point. Period dot. No need to try to save face for Ford. They dropped the ball on powertrains, and this has been an issue long before this shoot-out review. Call a spade a spade here...

Best truck with the worst engines. No surpise to me. Also, it buned the most fuel. Pathetic if you ask me. That test didnt do Ford any favors. Ford needs and has needed new engines in the 150 and Mustangs yesterday. Everybody is cleaning their clock. Ford at least is till in business but this is embarrasing to me and should be to them.

The really sad part is that, as a stopgap, Ford has a supercharged 5.4L setup that is EPA and CARB certified that could have been an optional powerplant this year. IT was offered in special limited edition F-150s over the last two years and produced competitive power numbers to the competition (though fuel economy would have been a bit of an issue). That's what kills me. Ford HAS solutions to this problem, both short term and long term, and doesn't implement them. The package is vetted for the F-150 (yeah, its last year's model, but not much has changed to this year in terms of the structure in the engine compartment).

I would like to see how this batch of trucks would compare to a batch of the same trucks from 1989. Only reason I mention this really is because people expect far too much from a "half ton" pickup anymore. The F-150 is doing now what F-250's and higher were only capable of doing some time ago. Okay, so the F-150 isn't the fastest of the bunch. But it's still a ridiculously over-capable vehicle in both towing and acceleration compared to what half ton trucks used to represent. The entire segment has gone overboard. Ford only fails at not going as overboard as everyone else under the hood.

As a person who's husband drives 80K pounds, for a living, I find these articles that stress speed, acceleration, and horsepower............. over stability, safety, and control................ to be a gross injustice to the buying public.

We live in the mountains, and have seen MANY rolled over trucks with trailers. Many of these are 1/2 ton, and 3/4 ton trucks, that were going way too fast for the conditions............. and who think that they are driving sports cars, instead of extremely high profile, heavy tow rigs.

My husband sees this all the time. He drives the speed limit. He goes slow off of hills, and is consistant with steady acceleration and deceleration. He has never caught his brakes on fire, and has never had an accident. He uses this same philosophy when driving our personal truck, when towing.............. as I have done, when doing heavy towing.

Thus, I will say it here. Anyone who bases buying a tow rig, on acceleration, is an idiot.

Sorry to be blunt, but I am tired of these "speed demons" risking the lives of everyone out on the highway. It is quite obvious that they know nothing of the laws of physics, and still think that he who gets there first (if they get there at all), wins.

I will take integrated trailer brake controllers, sway control, and fantastic towing mirrors (nobodies are as good as Fords), over an extra 50hp anyday.

Extreme is completely right. I'm tired of half ton pickups trying to all look like they are tougher/bigger/faster than a corvette/Hummer (military grade) etc. And yes, I say that from Texas.

Lastly, the Tundra should have been penalized for probability of rusting out in 3 years. Live in a wet/cold area? Don't plan on towing much in year 4!

Extreme is completely right. I'm tired of half ton pickups trying to all look like they are tougher/bigger/faster than a corvette/Hummer (military grade) etc. And yes, I say that from Texas.

Lastly, the Tundra should have been penalized for probability of rusting out in 3 years. Live in a wet/cold area? Don't plan on towing much in year 4!

agreed to an extent...personally driving the 5.4 w the 6 speed is a JOY, however...in light of tests such as this Ford HAS to get with the times and be at LEAST as good if not superior, they have the best Truck from a chassis and about every other yardstick, but the 5.0 cannot come quick enough to curb these such articles....

Edited by Deanh

If the Ford (or any truck maker for that matter) is spending the better part of 11.5 miles at WOT with only a little over half its towing capacity (6,500 of 11,200 rated), I think it is time for a bit more power. Not "speed" power, but "power" power.

This is usually been my frustration with Ford...new vehicle, previous generation powertrain. The damage is already done. Once the new engines are phased in, no one will do a re-take because the media wont bother unless it's been totally re-engineered, or has a mid-cycle refreshning.

agreed to an extent...personally driving the 5.4 w the 6 speed is a JOY, however...in light of tests such as this Ford HAS to get with the times and be at LEAST as good if not superior, they have the best Truck from a chassis and about every other yardstick, but the 5.0 cannot come quick enough to curb these such articles....
Dean: On that note have u heard anything new on the 5.0 yet???????

I dont look for the 5.0 to be the answer here. The 6.2 is a different story but will it be offered in the half tons. That is the problem. Most probably would be fine with the 5.0 but when they dont have an answer for the other top powertrains it gives Ford a black eye. Its an outstanding truck but just needs a big more under the hood. At least give customers the option.

Dean: On that note have u heard anything new on the 5.0 yet???????

nope...just a lot of positive rumblings and exciting revelations.....Ford has been EXCELLENT at keeping wraps on upcoming tech and models....witness spottings of the 6.2 in Raptors and the likes...i knew NOTHING about that engine until that point....some that DO in fact have the insight are on embargos ( Dearborn Derek to mention one with insight )...and I respect their restrictions..( must be hard sometimes for sure )

I dont look for the 5.0 to be the answer here. The 6.2 is a different story but will it be offered in the half tons. That is the problem. Most probably would be fine with the 5.0 but when they dont have an answer for the other top powertrains it gives Ford a black eye. Its an outstanding truck but just needs a big more under the hood. At least give customers the option.

5.0 will be the mainstay...6.2 will only be a small % of overall sales...BUT may gain bragging rights back....

As a person who's husband drives 80K pounds, for a living, I find these articles that stress speed, acceleration, and horsepower............. over stability, safety, and control................ to be a gross injustice to the buying public.

We live in the mountains, and have seen MANY rolled over trucks with trailers. Many of these are 1/2 ton, and 3/4 ton trucks, that were going way too fast for the conditions............. and who think that they are driving sports cars, instead of extremely high profile, heavy tow rigs.

My husband sees this all the time. He drives the speed limit. He goes slow off of hills, and is consistant with steady acceleration and deceleration. He has never caught his brakes on fire, and has never had an accident. He uses this same philosophy when driving our personal truck, when towing.............. as I have done, when doing heavy towing.

Thus, I will say it here. Anyone who bases buying a tow rig, on acceleration, is an idiot.

Sorry to be blunt, but I am tired of these "speed demons" risking the lives of everyone out on the highway. It is quite obvious that they know nothing of the laws of physics, and still think that he who gets there first (if they get there at all), wins.

I will take integrated trailer brake controllers, sway control, and fantastic towing mirrors (nobodies are as good as Fords), over an extra 50hp anyday.

Damn straight.

BlahbBlah,Blah needs 500hp Blah, 0-60 under 6 seconds, Blah,Blah. If that was true then why did Toyota only sell 6000 Tundras last month? i thought that big motor did it all. Oh that's right, a big motor doesn't make up for a craptastic frame.

Why is it I've worked at a GM dealership for 3 years and I can count the number of 6.0/6.2L half tons on my fingers and have a couple to spare? I can guarantee that many many more 5.3's go out than the 6.0/6.2L. And we have GMC also so that includes Denali pickups. Most of those haven't pulled anything heavier than two snowmobiles and the drivers extra large backside.

"Gotta have 400+ hp to get any work done". Sorry, sales figures say otherwise.

Having said that I can't wait to see the 5.0L,6.2L, and the 3.5 Ecoboost. If big power numbers was the fix for vehicles there wouldn't be G8's sitting around.

This has always been GM's way to "fix' a mediocre vehicle: "stick a bigger motor in it!" Then you get a mediocre vehicle with a bigger motor in it. That's all.

Sorry, it's the total package that counts.

I think the 362hp 3v V10 would have won the bragging rights, and should have been included on the HD F150 option list all along. The whole point of the Modular line was to add cyls when greater torque and hp are needed. The V10 Ford engines are held in high asteem by the Class A and C motorhome owners. One of the best kept secrets going. From what I understand they'll give the 496" GM engines everything they can handle and still deliver better mileage. Ford has the "doomsday weapon" but won't use it.....

Edited by Stray Kat

I bet if they looked at frame strength and surability would be different. People don't usually street race their trucks (most of the time) so the performance testing is a little irrelevant. Being heavy probably makes it the strongest one in the bunch. Nonetheless, like my daddy always tells me "There is no such thing as too much horsepower" and as said before, the EB and standard 5.0 wil solve the problem for sure.

You mean you don't go drag racing your truck while towing a trailer? When I first saw the results, I was surprised, but then when I realized what type of "test/comparison" it was, I was not suprised, since all the tests seem to be based on speed, etc. numbers and the F-150 always loses those.

The coming Scorpion will have more than 390 horsepower and 720 pounds-feet of torque.

That might have changed the place from 4th to 1st

The Scorpion is the 6.7 going in the Super Duty, not the F-150.....so it wouldn't affect this test.