It's SHO-Time For Edmunds

great article....2 questions..Haldex?...i thought Ford had gone a different route, and also the "paddles'....pull to upshift, pust to downshift, I thought there was TWO paddles ( one each side of the wheel ).... each one to be PULLED to perform its desired shift:;

Fords AWD system is frequently (and mistakenly) referred to, as being the Volvo Haldex system, all the time.

I have to correct people all the time on it. I see it in almost every article on an AWD Ford, also.

Most "journalists" are idiots.

in this case perhaps the excitement overwhelmed his urge to research.....cannot wait to get my hands on an eco 3.5...either SHO OR Flex.....

IIRC, Ford used Hadlex AWD and Aisin transmissions as a carry over until 'Intelligent AWD' and the JV 6F50 (followed by 6F55) came online. Where in what vehicles escapes me now.

As for the paddles in SHO and MKS, I saw two of them as well.

Not to take anything away, that SHO is incredible!

IL Edmunds Quote:

Rodriguez says, "This car is really my pride and joy." And as she stops the engine with the button on the dash of the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO, she says more to herself than to us,

"I think I've got the best job at Ford."

That's what I said!!

She's so lucky.. :hysterical:

Man I hope Gas stays around 3-3.50 or so bucks a gallon the next couple years or so...I really want one of these!

You and me both. I have a rule, where we can only have 1 auto payment at a time. Thus, I am stuck in the unfortunate position of having to GREATLY accelerate the repayment schedule on the SD. LOL

(my husband has already figured out a couple of personalized plates for one. He loves turbo engines)

You and me both. I have a rule, where we can only have 1 auto payment at a time. Thus, I am stuck in the unfortunate position of having to GREATLY accelerate the repayment schedule on the SD. LOL

I have two years left on the Mustang and I figure another 2 years to save for a downpayment...thats if I don't get married anytime soon and can swing saving $$$ for a house with a Garage to stick the Mustang in to save as a future collectors cars to take to shows with in say 2031 :P

great article....2 questions..Haldex?...i thought Ford had gone a different route, and also the "paddles'....pull to upshift, pust to downshift, I thought there was TWO paddles ( one each side of the wheel ).... each one to be PULLED to perform its desired shift:;

Yeah, that's how I thought paddle shifters worked too (and some do)......but it seems that most of the "mainstream" manufacturers use this setup where either paddle can perform both functions. My mom's BMW is this way as well.

I just visited the Ford site and it stated the SHO had a projected EPA fuel estimate of 15/25 ?

Not bad, considering....

Man I hope Gas stays around 3-3.50 or so bucks a gallon the next couple years or so...I really want one of these!

Seems to depend on the stock market these days. If the Dow is up, so goes the price of a barrel of oil?

I always thought the law of supply and demand set price. Apparently speculation and speculators now control this function. Think about it, if the economy improves the price of oil goes up. If the price of oil goes up the economy goes down. The specculators, arabs and Mobile-Exon got us by..........

Seems to depend on the stock market these days. If the Dow is up, so goes the price of a barrel of oil?

I always thought the law of supply and demand set price. Apparently speculation and speculators now control this function. Think about it, if the economy improves the price of oil goes up. If the price of oil goes up the economy goes down. The specculators, arabs and Mobile-Exon got us by..........

That's capitalism... Speculators leverage supply and demand by increasing demand when demand is strong and fleeing the market when demand is weak, exaggerating the normal price swings.

Well, while it isn't extremely fuel efficient I was checking comparable cars (high performance 4 door sport sedan)

Pontiac G8 13/20

Audi S-5 (2 door) 14/22

BMW 550i 15/23

Chrysler 300c SRT8 17/25

BMW 528i AWD 17/25

Lexus is 250 (smaller car) 20/25

Mercedes C300 17/25

Acura TL SH-AWD 17/25

So as long as the SHO kicks a few of these cars asses it will be a pretty good outcome.

Edited by Hydro

Pontiac G8 13/20

Audi S-5 (2 door) 14/22

BMW 550i 15/23

Chrysler 300c SRT8 17/25

BMW 528i AWD 17/25

Lexus is 250 (smaller car) 20/25

Mercedes C300 17/25

Acura TL SH-AWD 17/25

So with these vehicles, all I'm seeing is that the fuel estimates are pretty close to the V8 in the 550i, or even the 300C SRT8 has a 17/25 which betters it by 2 CTY MPG and thats a larger V8. I just kept hearing "V8 performance, with V6 fuel efficiency", and I'm seeing "V8 performance with V8 fuel efficiency" instead. Only thing I can think of is maybe they were using that phrase if you were to take out the AWD equation from it, then I could see gaining a 1-2MPG, but because they are FWD high powered vehicles it just couldn't take it and they obviously had to take the AWD route then their boasting rights failed.

Where these vehicles listed above, using the AWD equivilent? (and what equal can that be if the SRT and G8 will not be here in 2 years)...

I just kept hearing "V8 performance, with V6 fuel efficiency", and I'm seeing "V8 performance with V8 fuel efficiency" instead. Only thing I can think of is maybe they were using that phrase if you were to take out the AWD equation from it, then I could see gaining a 1-2MPG, but because they are FWD high powered vehicles it just couldn't take it and they obviously had to take the AWD route then their boasting rights failed.

The only Caveat I can see is that the SHO is supposed to be a performance vehicle and thus doesn't need to play that game, but at the same time it shouldn't have those some what ugly looking SHO/Ecoboost badges on it.

like I said before, whats the point if it doesn't get the same MPG as a AWD Taurus to have Ecoboost badges on it? Does that extra 10HP affect MPG that much?

If its rated at 15/24, I'm gonna have to cross it off and I'll look at getting a Fusion Sport or an Ecoboost I4 SEL down the road when I'm in the market for a new car.

The whole point (to me) of the SHO was to have a fun car to drive that good MPG with a some what famous name to go along with it...I guess owning a car with a bit of snob appeal to it, without the BMW or Mercedes name attached to it.

Guess we'll have to wait for the offical numbers, which have been thankfully higher then Fords estimates the past couple launches

I did some searching, the MKS Ecoboost is estimated to be at 16/25 MPG...so I guess 15/25 is reasonable for a car tuned for performance like the SHO, still disappointing a point, but hpefully they are lowballing the estimates once again

Edited by silvrsvt

The only Caveat I can see is that the SHO is supposed to be a performance vehicle and thus doesn't need to play that game, but at the same time it shouldn't have those some what ugly looking SHO/Ecoboost badges on it.

like I said before, whats the point if it doesn't get the same MPG as a AWD Taurus to have Ecoboost badges on it? Does that extra 10HP affect MPG that much?

If its rated at 15/24, I'm gonna have to cross it off and I'll look at getting a Fusion Sport or an Ecoboost I4 SEL down the road when I'm in the market for a new car.

The whole point (to me) of the SHO was to have a fun car to drive that good MPG with a some what famous name to go along with it...I guess owning a car with a bit of snob appeal to it, without the BMW or Mercedes name attached to it.

Guess we'll have to wait for the offical numbers, which have been thankfully higher then Fords estimates the past couple launches

10HP?