MT: first drive - MKT

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1...rive/index.html

And the big Lincoln feels more spritely than the big Audi, particularly in 40-60 mph passing maneuvers. From a standstill, the Lincoln's acceleration is soft at tip-in, as the twin-turbos feed each bank of cylinders and need a few hundred rpm over idle to build boost. Once you hit 1500 rpm, it's off and away, smoothly and in a linear fashion. Lincoln expects a 7-second 0-60 mph time (about 8.6 for the 3.7 Duratec). It feels quick and composed to 120 mph and beyond (the drive was at Ford's Romeo Proving Grounds).

Second-biggest news is the interior, which trumps the Audi for cushy luxury. The wrapped and stitched dash is soft and cushy where the Q7's is hard, though high-quality plastic. And the fit-and-finish, even for pre-production MKTs, was quite good.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17/24 compared to 13/18 for the Audi, with more (albeit, only 5) horsepower.

VERY impressive. I'm still impressed with the fact that it is estimated to get 1 MPG better than the AWD NA 3.7 (wait...maybe that was the MKS)! And that is Ford's estimate, which has been conservative with the recently released vehicles.

I'm excited! Too bad we couldn't have waited a year to buy our Flex, but I don't think my wife would have liked carrying our child for an extra 12 months! :hysterical:

Edited by fordmantpw

Impressive that it's interior is better than the Audi's, since they are benchmarked for interior quality. And interesting to see the blurb about Ford and Lincoln having so much expected technology, these are things that seem to resonate with the media.

I was lucky enough to be there yesterday. EcoBoost was great but the MKT BLEW me away. It was handily superior to Q7 in just about every respect. It felt faster at all speeds, got better fuel economy (according to the digital readouts), rode smoother AND handled better, and the interior was a step above. Yes, the interior was better than Audi. On level portions of the high-speed test track with the cruise set at 70, it said we were getting 23 mpg. The only real problem is how many people are going to cross-shop an MKT and a Q7?

Our coverage in today's Autoline Daily - Autoline Daily, 5-15-2009

Edited by Admiral

They should have compared this to the Q7 TDI...seems to me that would have been a closer matchup....

Chuck

Perhaps on the torque curve side, but the idea was to compare the V6 EcoBoost (which is supposed to be supplanting a V8) to a normal V8.

Perhaps on the torque curve side, but the idea was to compare the V6 EcoBoost (which is supposed to be supplanting a V8) to a normal V8.

Hey, I can understand that...I suppose it really just depends on what you're trying to compare/contrast.

Me I see an EcoBoost V-6 that's supposed to be delivering gas V-8 performance with better than gas V-8 efficiency...which is what the 6 cyl. Q7 TDI does as well. The prices are basically equal, the gas mileage is basically equal....compare equal to equal.

Still though, by all account, Impressive!

When do the vehicles that normal people buy get to get EcoBoost???

Chuck

Hey, I can understand that...I suppose it really just depends on what you're trying to compare/contrast.

Me I see an EcoBoost V-6 that's supposed to be delivering gas V-8 performance with better than gas V-8 efficiency...which is what the 6 cyl. Q7 TDI does as well. The prices are basically equal, the gas mileage is basically equal....compare equal to equal.

Still though, by all account, Impressive!

When do the vehicles that normal people buy get to get EcoBoost???

Chuck

Ok, I see what you're saying now....

And as for other EB models....I think in the next year or two.....I read something about the new Focus recieving one? Edge/MKX are likely to recieve them, they're redesigned for '11, etc....

The diesel Q7 doesn't appear to be EPA certified yet.

So there's a difference between EPA certified mileage and EPA certification? I'd think you could not have mileage certification w/o being actually EPA certified....I mean, what if in the course of EPA certification you need to make changes that changes the EPA certified mileage? Now you have to correct the mileage claims you've just put out...

Chuck

So there's a difference between EPA certified mileage and EPA certification? I'd think you could not have mileage certification w/o being actually EPA certified....I mean, what if in the course of EPA certification you need to make changes that changes the EPA certified mileage? Now you have to correct the mileage claims you've just put out...

Chuck

Those numbers come from Audi and they're considered official estimates. They will remain so until the EPA signs off that all the proper testing protocols were followed.

However good a car like this is will it attract people back to Lincoln? How much will consumers simply look at a Lincoln and say but it's really a Ford and then buy an Audi? will there not just be a constant drip, drip, drip away to companies like Audi? Because you look at the entire Audi range and it's highly polished.

The reason I ask is because in Europe a brand like Lincoln would be dead by now. Consumers here are too clued in to accept a rebadged Ford (e.g. Jaguar X type). Lexus really struggles here because we all know they are just badged up Toyota's. So people in Europe tend to keep buying German. It's that kind of support that means that when BMW or Mercedes sell in the USA they already know they have shifted hundreds of thousands of cars back home so they can keep out investing the likes of Lincoln.

For Lincoln to really make a difference it needs to get it's own floorpans and tech. No more rebadging of Fords. It needs to sell in more markets. But if it tried that would it make a profit in the short - medium term?

For Lincoln to really make a difference it needs to get it's own floorpans and tech. No more rebadging of Fords. It needs to sell in more markets. But if it tried that would it make a profit in the short - medium term?

HOW is the MKT a rebadge?

HOW is the MKS a rebadge?

:banghead: