MT: first drive - MKT

However good a car like this is will it attract people back to Lincoln? How much will consumers simply look at a Lincoln and say but it's really a Ford and then buy an Audi? will there not just be a constant drip, drip, drip away to companies like Audi? Because you look at the entire Audi range and it's highly polished.

The reason I ask is because in Europe a brand like Lincoln would be dead by now. Consumers here are too clued in to accept a rebadged Ford (e.g. Jaguar X type). Lexus really struggles here because we all know they are just badged up Toyota's. So people in Europe tend to keep buying German. It's that kind of support that means that when BMW or Mercedes sell in the USA they already know they have shifted hundreds of thousands of cars back home so they can keep out investing the likes of Lincoln.

For Lincoln to really make a difference it needs to get it's own floorpans and tech. No more rebadging of Fords. It needs to sell in more markets. But if it tried that would it make a profit in the short - medium term?

99% of folks don't have a clue that a Lincoln is based on the same platform as it's Ford sibling.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be the downer, but this car is still ugly, I don't think it will take any better than the Flex. Great effort, but they really need to get their act together on design.

Eh... I loved the concept, then I was down on previous pictures of the production model.

I don't know if it's that large mouth all Lincolns are going to be sporting or what it is that bothers me. But looking at the picture above. I'm trying to figure out if I like it.

I definitely know this: the MKX grill has grown on me so much I hate to see that go now. Perhaps it's just the sexy styling of the 'X' and the grill together that I like. I think it's the best looking Lincoln of them all.

But looking at the picture above. I'm trying to figure out if I like it.

Have you seen the production model in person? If not, reserve judgement. I think from your past posts you and I have very similar tastes. I was on the fence until I saw it at the show, and fell in love.

I too wish that the eggcrate grill would have gone beyond 2 models. The X is stunning with it, but the Navigator is hideous from the front.

However good a car like this is will it attract people back to Lincoln? How much will consumers simply look at a Lincoln and say but it's really a Ford and then buy an Audi? will there not just be a constant drip, drip, drip away to companies like Audi? Because you look at the entire Audi range and it's highly polished.

The reason I ask is because in Europe a brand like Lincoln would be dead by now. Consumers here are too clued in to accept a rebadged Ford (e.g. Jaguar X type). Lexus really struggles here because we all know they are just badged up Toyota's. So people in Europe tend to keep buying German. It's that kind of support that means that when BMW or Mercedes sell in the USA they already know they have shifted hundreds of thousands of cars back home so they can keep out investing the likes of Lincoln.

For Lincoln to really make a difference it needs to get it's own floorpans and tech. No more rebadging of Fords. It needs to sell in more markets. But if it tried that would it make a profit in the short - medium term?

"How much will consumers simply look at a Lincoln and say but it's really a Ford and then buy an Audi?"

If Europeans are so darned smart why do they buy Audis at all? They are just "badged up" VWs anyway! :hysterical:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/19/audi-ve...t-in-the-works/

Didn't you know VW/Audi have been sharing platforms for decades? Maybe their marketing has you hoodwinked.

BTW the Jag X Type was overpriced and at best mediocre. So you've jumped the snobby ship of fools from Jaguar (now that they are pretty much dead in the water) to Audi? Another pretentious piece of image building!

"So people in Europe tend to keep buying German." Silly Fahrvergnügen!!!!!!!!!!

Another pretentious comment. Fiesta sales are up over 15%, Golf sales are down nearly 4%.

The shelf life of that comment is already over in terms of most recent monthly sales, and next year the overall sales crown will go to Fiesta.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/04/vw-go...elling-car.html

I can't wait to see what VW/Porsche/Audi's affairs look like now that the merger has bit the dust. Toyota isn't immune to the world wide recession, neither is VW.

Oh my goodness!!!!! Look how similar they are!!!!!!!.............NOT.

On the outside..... I'll almost bet a paycheck that the 2010 Flex will have the same gauge cluster, same HVAC controls, same seats, nearly the same dash (without the leather treatment), etc. The tech will be different, but the interiors will be darn near similar. It's been that way for Lincoln since forever.

Although I think both look great!

On the outside..... I'll almost bet a paycheck that the 2010 Flex will have the same gauge cluster, same HVAC controls, same seats, nearly the same dash (without the leather treatment), etc. The tech will be different, but the interiors will be darn near similar. It's been that way for Lincoln since forever.

Although I think both look great!

Doubtful. Look at the differences between the MKS and Taurus. The Flex interior is great, but look for the MKT to be even more stunning!

Doubtful. Look at the differences between the MKS and Taurus. The Flex interior is great, but look for the MKT to be even more stunning!

Current Taurus? Yes, much different than the current MKS.

2010 Taurus? Much in common with the MKS. This is according to the pictures Ford and Lincoln have posted on the net. The gauge cluster (Speedo, tach, etc) is the same in both. The rest is close.

There are no good pics of the interior of the 2010 Ecoboost Flex's gague cluster. When you look at it, all the cars with SelectShift paddles have the "new" cluster of the Taurus/MKS. I'd guess that the 2010 EB Flex will not have today's "corporate" gauge cluster.

The rest is close - it's the same switchgear, steering wheel, etc....

None of this is necessarily a bad thing.

I hate to be the downer, but this car is still ugly, I don't think it will take any better than the Flex. Great effort, but they really need to get their act together on design.

If it only does as well as the Flex, it would be a bona fide HIT for Lincoln. The Flex is definitely gaining momentum, not losing it. Considering that in such a down economy, it's not selling much worse than the iconic Mustang.

2010 Taurus? Much in common with the MKS. This is according to the pictures Ford and Lincoln have posted on the net. The gauge cluster (Speedo, tach, etc) is the same in both. The rest is close.

The overall shape of the interiors is similar, which is mostly dictated by how things are arranged under the skin, but the execution is entirely different.

2551082079_42429d92fd.jpg

2010fordtaurusshonews.10fordtaurussho2.img.jpg

As you can see, they use completely different gauge clusters also. The only part that really looks almost direct carryover is the steering wheel.

The overall shape of the interiors is similar, which is mostly dictated by how things are arranged under the skin, but the execution is entirely different.

2551082079_42429d92fd.jpg

2010fordtaurusshonews.10fordtaurussho2.img.jpg

As you can see, they use completely different gauge clusters also. The only part that really looks almost direct carryover is the steering wheel.

I wouldn't say the steering wheels are a carryover, if that's the case you can say that for any manufacturer. But the headlight controls are identical in any Ford vehicle.

I wouldn't say the steering wheels are a carryover, if that's the case you can say that for any manufacturer. But the headlight controls are identical in any Ford vehicle.

The outer ring of the steering wheels appear to the same part, save for the color and the wood accent on the MKS. The headlight controls are different between the Taurus and MKS. Appear to be the same mechanism, but the knobs are noticably different.

The outer ring of the steering wheels appear to the same part, save for the color and the wood accent on the MKS. The headlight controls are different between the Taurus and MKS. Appear to be the same mechanism, but the knobs are noticably different.

Guys, you are all posting pics of the 2009 MKS. Here's the 2010's interior:

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/MKSecoboostint/1008289615

Looks a lot like the 2010 Taurus.