First Ecoboost I4 Application?

I4 EB Engine application..who gets it first?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which product gets the EB I4 first? North America only

• '11 Explorer Unibody
    • '11 Redesigned Focus
    • '11 Edge/MKX

The first 4 cylinder EcoBoost engines will be in Europe. The American 4 cylinder will have to be retuned to meet US EPA requirements. It might only arrive 1 year later?

The Explorer does not have to come out with the EcoBoost at introduction. Ford will release the engine when it is ready and put it in all cars that it is designed for, at the same time. Just like the 3.5L EB.

Ford is surveying whether people want a turbo option in the Fiesta for the US. They may be thinking of a sub 1.6L EB for the Fiesta?

I assume that some 4 cylinder EB engines will be built in the US. Some odd size engines may be imported in advance.

I expect one family of EB for all the cars off the Focus platform. A bigger 4 Cylinder for the D3. The Fusion might get both.

It will be interesting to see if Ford can sell a 4 cylinder EB to someone who would normally by a small V-6. I would say yes for most people as long as it delivers the torque and can keep the cost down.

I'm going with the 2010/11 Unibody Explorer where the Ecoboost I4 is unveiled in.

Other candidates included the Refreshed 2011 Edge and MKX

Anyone else want to bet? :)

Yea, and I'll also be going with an Explorer with Ecoboost I4 - to replace my Taurus X in about a decade, when gas is approaching $10/gallon.

The first 4 cylinder EcoBoost engines will be in Europe. The American 4 cylinder will have to be retuned to meet US EPA requirements. It might only arrive 1 year later?

Not sure why you think it'll be in Europe first. Everything I've heard is for North America.

Another Ford official said that by 2013, Ford plans on selling 750,000 EcoBoost engines annually in North America alone. He said that 4-cylinders will account for two thirds of that mix. While Ford won’t confirm the output of the 4-cylinder EcoBoost engines, at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show, Ford unveiled the Lincoln Concept C that carried a 1.6L EcoBoost inline 4-cylinder engine that produces 180-hp and 180 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/02/16/ford-...ssover-by-2013/

Not sure why you think it'll be in Europe first. Everything I've heard is for North America.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/02/16/ford-...ssover-by-2013/

Your Link talks about 2013. My Link talks about 2010, just over a year from now in Europe. The Europeans already has the engine designed but it uses Lean Burn in Europe. This won't work in the US. The first engine will be a 1.6L EB. This is too small of an engine an Explorer and too expensive for a Focus.

http://www.motorauthority.com/ford-announc...powertrain.html

I'll have to talk to my buddies over in the Engine plant, but I think Dearborn Engine is tooling up for an Ecoboost motor for the Focus.

Any time line for the Dearborn Engine plant? Will it be the same as for the new Focus?

The 2011 Focus is supposedly getting a 2.0DI that will be built at Dearborn (or that was rumor). This is the same engine that will support the 2.0 Ecoboost application that will show up in the Edge and Explorer (and possibly the Fusion, Flex and Taurus) in 2010-2011.

The 1.6EB goes into production in Europe in Q4 this year. The new 1.0 and 1.0EB are supposed to hit production in Q1 next year. I believe Ford is working on another engine between the 1.0EB and 1.6EB. Given that they are taking it around the auto shows this year, I would expect the 1.6 EB to debut in CY2011 in the U.S. I don't think the Fusion will get it until its refresh in CY2012.

I wouldn't count on the 1.0EB until market demand is proven in the B-segment - probably CY2013 - but that's a car I'd love: Fiesta, 1.0EB, start-stop, DSG, 40/50 EPA ratings, but I wouldn't get anywhere near those on the weekends when I escape town. :)

The 2011 Focus is supposedly getting a 2.0DI that will be built at Dearborn (or that was rumor). This is the same engine that will support the 2.0 Ecoboost application that will show up in the Edge and Explorer (and possibly the Fusion, Flex and Taurus) in 2010-2011.

The 1.6EB goes into production in Europe in Q4 this year. The new 1.0 and 1.0EB are supposed to hit production in Q1 next year. I believe Ford is working on another engine between the 1.0EB and 1.6EB. Given that they are taking it around the auto shows this year, I would expect the 1.6 EB to debut in CY2011 in the U.S. I don't think the Fusion will get it until its refresh in CY2012.

I wouldn't count on the 1.0EB until market demand is proven in the B-segment - probably CY2013 - but that's a car I'd love: Fiesta, 1.0EB, start-stop, DSG, 40/50 EPA ratings, but I wouldn't get anywhere near those on the weekends when I escape town. :)

I would love to see a Fusion with a 2.0 EB with a 6 speed manual. That would be lots of fun.

Probably depends on how quickly they get production rolling. If they can't turn out too many of them initially, like what happened with the D35, it'll probably show up in smaller volume products, like the Edge, Fex or new Explorer. If they can roll out lots of them quickly, it'll probably show up in the Fusion or Escape first. Ford doesn't seem to care too much about debuting new engines at the same time as new models, so I won't give advantage to the new models over the current ones.

The economy plays a role too. If the economy still sucks, people are still going to buy sedans over expensive crossovers, and debuting it in the midsize car market with the Fusion is probably the better idea.

Edited by V8 Ford

I thought I read this somewhere before, but could not find the link to confirm it.

I agree. I think the 2.0 EB will replace the 3.0L V6 in the Fusion.

Has anyone out there even seen a 2010 3.0 Fusion? Was this a non starter? My dealer has about forty Fusions and non have the 3.0. About six sport 3.5's and the rest 2.5's. Off topic, sorry.