Ford Motor Company June Sales Down 10.7%

Probably because McElroy prompts him. Sitting by himself typing out his outrageously long blog entries (second only to Bill Simmons in his willingness to occupy your time with petrified windbaggery served up by the barrel full), he inevitably skews toward GM, and frequently with unrealistic analysis.

I am not disputing your assertion on his blogs being "skewed" towards GM. Given his history, it is natural he would lean a certain way.

I was simply stating that he has been quite positive towards FMC and Mulally. (And I'd give a fair shake towards John prompting him from time-to-time.)

Edited by IMSA-XJR9

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent news Ford, I can't wait to see what happens with Fusion sales in the second half of this year.

Will July's Camaro sales be above 10,000/month or will they drop back?

Pontiac G8: 3,622.

Most likely incentive driven but has GM created a tide of G8 buyers by announcing the end of Pontiac?

Edited by jpd80

mustang sales again look pathetic

91,000+ annualized sales for a sport coupe is pathetic? Yes, compared to it being the most successful sport coupe in the history of the world, those sales look pathetic. Compared to basically every other coupe on the market (aside from the brand new Camaro) and compared to the rest of the overall market's performance they aren't bad at all.

Perspective. Use some.

truth be told the #'s could be a LOT better, numerous times I myself had customers and was UNABLE to supply product, 1/2 of my business was dealer trades as well....talk about frustrating, all dealers have cut back on inventory replenishment to lower flooring costs, HELL...I even lost a VALUED customer to a Honda Pilot since Ford has decided to exit leasing the behemouth. And thats just ME, as a whole the dealership alone must have lost 35 odd sales due to similar experiences...now times that nationwide...

I just bought a Malibu with 6300$ rebates on it.

3500$ Cash Back

1000$ GM loyalty (my mom has a buick :D)

800$ Student rebate

1000$ from the dealer (I dealed the car)

overall better fit and finish + rebates made me choose a Malibu instead of a Fusion.

Ford or not i hope that was all off of invoice price not sticker.

I just bought a Malibu with 6300$ rebates on it.

3500$ Cash Back

1000$ GM loyalty (my mom has a buick :D)

800$ Student rebate

1000$ from the dealer (I dealed the car)

overall better fit and finish + rebates made me choose a Malibu instead of a Fusion.

I'm gonna put my neck out and call you out on the fit and finish...I have had a few Malibu trade ins, and its actually a nice car...but fit and finish they don't hold a candle....so in REALITY basically you bought the car because of firesale rebates....don't bitch when you trade it in.....you also didn't state if it was an 08 or 09.........snicker.

He has been cheerleading for FMC for quite some time. Especially on Autoline Afterhours. He has been VERY positive for FMC and Mulally . . .

I don't watch AA, so I'll take your word for it. I just wish he'd either change his blog's name to "GMextremist.com" or at least make ashallow effort to cover someone other than GM

Have we finally seen the bottoming of the truck market? Ford trucks were down less than half what the cars were for the month. Pretty good showings all around in trucks, except for the Navigator (571 sales, wtf?).

Ford must seriously have slashed fleet deliveries also if they are meeting so many sales from last year on the retail side but still seeing double-digit overall drops like with Mustang.

Volvo finally showed an increase!! 0.6%! Wooohoo. :lol:

The Navigator and Expedition have been running on little to no inventory for a little while now while production was being moved.

That right there is enough to make my day.

That is pretty funny. Here is a vehicle that Ford has not changed much in over 20 years, and it beats a new vehicle that Toyota spent over $2 billion on and counting. It's pretty wild how a dominant company like Toyota could fall from grace so rapidly and completely. Ditto for Honda that has recently produced some god awful designs like the front end of the new Pilot and Acura line. The interior of the new Accord sucks and the exterior is mediocre and Honda has changed the Accord more than Michael Jackson has changed his face. Honda has a brand new Accord and falls farther behind the Camry in sales race, and the Camry has not been changed in a few years now. Honda has really lost its momentum and their new Insight makes their plight permanent IMO. That vehicle is abysmal. Honda has turned into a weirded out company that would be challenging AMC if it were still alive.

doesnt suprise about the navigator. we just finally got our first new navigator in in over 3 months. same with the expedition, you couldn't find them anywhere lately.

The Navigator and Expedition have been running on little to no inventory for a little while now while production was being moved.

I know my local Ford dealer has only had a handfull (2 or 3) Expeditions at most over the past several months, if that many, so I agree that inventory issues (mainly due to the plant changeover) were limiting what Expedition sales there could've been.

Well, GM has one thing to cheer about: Camaro outsold Mustang.

Not going to last, we're still in the midst of the "been waiting X years for a new one!" rush. We'll see how they're doing by December.

I agree in thinking it won't last.

I certainly hope they will, and I'm pretty sure they will. I would of course feel "safer" driving a Ford, but I believe GM will sell their unprofitable assets, and continue on business. I just believe the Malibu is a better made vehicle, although the 2010 Fusion has advantages of its own. With equal incentives, it would have been a tough decision.

Well, according to this...... http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-liquidation...line-looms.html

Edited by rmc523

After all of these years we Ford fans have had to endure, it feels damn good to finally have something to cheer about. And, to think this may only be the beginning. There's so much new product still in the pipeline! The future's looking bright everyone! :shades:

After all of these years we Ford fans have had to endure, it feels damn good to finally have something to cheer about. And, to think this may only be the beginning. There's so much new product still in the pipeline! The future's looking bright everyone! :shades:

It is a nice feeling isn't it?

I'm gonna put my neck out and call you out on the fit and finish...I have had a few Malibu trade ins, and its actually a nice car...but fit and finish they don't hold a candle....so in REALITY basically you bought the car because of firesale rebates....don't bitch when you trade it in.....you also didn't state if it was an 08 or 09.........snicker.

it's a 2009.

I never bitched about the trade-in value. I am fully aware that the second I take possession of it, it loses 5000$ of its value. The thing is, I didn't want to put another penny on my old car and I'll be done with College in 1year and a half. I intend to keep the Malibu at least 8 years. I think the 2010 Fusion is a great car, don't get me wrong. I also think Ford is a much better company than GM, however I believe the Malibu is a superior product than the Fusion. The point of saying this in a Ford forum isn't really to troll, since I believe recent Ford products are great.

But anyway... The Ranger outsold the Tundra. Should we go spam a Tundra fan forum with that news?

I am still floored by the Tundra numbers. I had no idea they sell that few (in general--even setting aside the downturn). As was previously noted, Toyota poured billions into the development of this truck and I really believe they thought "Ah, they'll buy it---it's such good quality and reliable, it's a Toyota" that they REALLY missed the point of a truck.

They claimed they interviewed and focus-grouped the hell out of what a truck buyer wants, but they obviously completely missed the mark, IMO.

Truck buyers in general are not buying looking to buy an appliance like Camry buyers are.

I am still floored by the Tundra numbers. I had no idea they sell that few (in general--even setting aside the downturn). As was previously noted, Toyota poured billions into the development of this truck and I really believe they thought "Ah, they'll buy it---it's such good quality and reliable, it's a Toyota" that they REALLY missed the point of a truck.

They claimed they interviewed and focus-grouped the hell out of what a truck buyer wants, but they obviously completely missed the mark, IMO.

Truck buyers in general are not buying looking to buy an appliance like Camry buyers are.

As Alan Mulally says, "the buyers will decide".

I think buyers voted with their feet and went to Ford dealerships.

Edited by jpd80

What's up with the Focus? The Escape and Fusion are holding steady, why isn't the Focus?

April, May and June of 2008 were the high water marks for the Focus. Sales started falling off in July and continued to do so as gas prices fell to the point we are at now. This drop in C segment vehicles is across the industry. Civic and Corolla sales have fallen as much if not more than the Focus.

In July 2008 the sales numbers were 15K. So the dropoff should be less noticeable. The Cash for Clunkers program should rev up Focus sales a bit for the next few months as well.

What's up with the Focus? The Escape and Fusion are holding steady, why isn't the Focus?

I-4 Fusion and Focus have very similar city/highway fuel consumption figures.

Ford A few extra bucks each month, buyers can have a mid sized car that's just as economical as a Focus.